Howling at the Moon Dual Sport Oct 23/24

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Nightstalker, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Disassemble!

Oddometer:
    Wooo Hooo! Gotta love it when peer pressure works :evil
  3. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I think I'm gonna sign up, couple questions though:

1. What's the best place to stay on Saturday? I went to PV for the flat track race but I am not really super familiar with the area.

2. I'm having trouble judging what "level" rider I am. I currently ride a F650GS that I did the TAT through CO and UT on and I've also done the Bradshaw trail on it. I'm thinking B?

Thanks!

Cheers
    Brett
  4. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Here is a list of Hotel and camping options in the area. http://www.arizonatrailriders.org/images/howlin/hotelrvlist.pdf If you stay at a PV Hotel you're no more than a mile and a half from the staging area, if you choose a Prescott Hotel figure on 6 to 8 miles away.

Did you go "up" or "down" the Bradshaw? Downs pretty easy as gravity takes care of most of the work:D, up is another story:eek1 .....seriously, if you rode the Bradshaw on that bike you shouldn't have any trouble with anything on the B route.
  6. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Not sure what the up or down on the Bradshaw means. I went the round trip. Maybe were talking a different Bradshaw Trail. I ran this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=30th+Ave&daddr=33.493307,-114.826355+to:The+Bradshaw+Trail+to:Beal+Rd&geocode=FQwQ_wEdKjgp-Q%3B%3BFX8y_gEdOqok-Q%3BFcaH-wEdYCke-Q&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=33.510484,-114.800949&sspn=0.412781,0.615921&ie=UTF8&ll=33.330528,-115.046082&spn=0.827269,1.231842&z=10

Cheers
    Brett
  7. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    This is the Bradshaw trail F_G is talking about...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527270

Bradshaw trail starts at post 20.

tz

8. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Sorry Soloyosh, we are definitely talking about a different trail. The Bradshaw you rode, was it a graded/bladed dirt road? Jeep road? Let me know and maybe I can give you a better idea of what to expect. And thanks NightStalker, buddy pal.
  9. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was a county maintained road.

I found some photos on some 4x4 websites of some gnarly climbs on the Bradshaw Trail in the Prescott NF. Definitely different.

I guess I'll figure out what "level" I'll run when we see the routes, now that I have a point of reference.

Any ideas of how many entries thus far? Trying to do some arm-twisting at work to get some other folks to come along.

Cheers
    Brett
  10. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Twist away Brett, we're at about 40 entries so far. :D

Btw, got some great new Sponsors :clap
    PJ1
    Victory BMW
    Arizona Superbike
    Crown King General Store
  11. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey NS,

I'm thinking we need to set-up a pre-run down the Bradshaw. You sent me down memory lane with the repost from our last one. What a GREAT ride.

I bet the "v" grooves in the rocks are deeper since last years heavy rains.:evil :evil Maybe some new downed trees to navigate ? "Technically its do-able"

We get back from RMAR on August 3rd. I'm thinking Saturday the 7th for "down" the Bradshaw ?

BTW..you should ride up to South Fork and Join us for the RMAR event. Its gonna be a hoot !

12. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Brett,

The great thing about these rides is there's something for everyone. Just glad Nightstalker stepped in, I have a tendency to have tunnel vision. I have a place in Crown King and ride up there all the time, so I just assumed.............

Talk your buddies into the ride, the more the merrier.

See ya' there,
    Frank
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Come on out for the event, if you choose the "A" route, you'll ride that stuff and a lot more like it.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks frank.

since i still want to live a little longer....:lol3 , i prefer to do the "B" route this time, then come back next year for the "A" ....:yikes
  16. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Awesome, heck I don't care what route you're ridin' as long as you're ridin'. See ya' there!
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    hi frank, i read the flyer and don't see the mileage for the sat ride. what's the total miles for the B group and how much of that is dirt? the sunday ride appears to be short loops running through the Bradshas Mountains (planning to do at least a half day run on sunday)....:clap
  18. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    We're actually finishing up the final mileaging of the B loop this weekend, but figure about 120-130 miles for the loop. Very little pavement, mostly dirt.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:

nice....and i can almost do it with 1 full tank...:ricky

will there be gas along the way? lunch i suppose will be trucked to a location along the route.

awesome deal for $100, sat and sun.....2 breakfast, 1 lunch and a dinner...:clap
  20. redeye-az

redeye-az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    most of your questions can be answered by perusing the flyer available on ATR's website....arizonatrilriders.org......

ya'll will be well taken care of.......:clap