1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

How's BMW reliability (thinking 650/800GS) and maintenance?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lopoetve, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Monkey_Boy

Monkey_Boy Los bichos atacan

Oddometer:
    Lots of variable there: retail price, depreciation, maintenance costs, miles ridden, resale value, etc. Yes?

I wonder how long the average person keeps his bike. Me, I don't think I've kept a bike more than 3 years max.
  2. Monkey_Boy

Oddometer:
    And one response was about the shaft drive machines. Fair to consider and a possible indication of what one *might* expect in the new machines, since the twins are too new to know how they will hold up or what problems will arise. How much do you know about the new twins? Those of us in the US know very little at this point, especially the GS's.

Who's bashing BMW? Expensive? Yes. Weird problems that shouldn't happen? You bet. Costly to repair? Sure enough. Simple facts, not bashing.

It is BMW's philosophy that creates these issues with their motorcycles. Experience-based concerns with a shaft drive machine would naturally give rise to other models, shaft drive or no.
  3. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    The 650 is about the most boring bike available for sale. Every time I see one, I"m amazed that the owner is so easy to please. The DL1k is more exciting but mine had poor fueling and poor shifting which some do. The lunatic fringe Strom owners claim both can be sorted out with a lot of work and some money. I felt the Strom very comfortable and a great value, but I'd rather pay more and get more. So I did.

The little GS's are new so there is no reliability figures which are real, but the engines are Rotax which are plain terrific. My G-X Rotax is a single 650. I run it at 80 mph for hours at a time and it burns no oil. Also many guys use Rotax engines (different models!!) for their ultra light airplanes so they think they are reliable.

If I were looking for the one bike do it all, I'd look at the Kwak Versys and the new BMW GS series.
  4. Monkey_Boy

Oddometer:
    Can you back this up with facts? :evil
  5. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Prove otherwise.
  6. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine was 11 thousand pounds 22 thousand dollers
    i wouldnt trust it to go the shop for a pint of milk .........
  7. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    gee your website states you bought a 2nd 1150GS Adventure because they stopped making them. How many can you ride at the same time? Or are you afraid it won't last long?

which is it? tell us oh brainwashed one.
  8. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    I'm not worried, but I can put you in touch with someone that has gone on two RTW tours with his airhead GS. Hell, his driveshaft even lasted 142,000 kilometers, far longer than two sets of chains and sprockets. :lol3
  9. lawbag

lawbag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a chain drive. Chain technology has come a long way. I'm over 22.000 mile on the original chain on one of my ducati's. Dead simple to adjust and you can carry a spare with no problems. Try to carry a spare drive shaft or final drive. JMO
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I just rode that road in daytime and hit around 65mph on the straights but didnt feel very smart doing it,I was riding a DR 650 with street tires on it which seemed to work well for some odd reason. the bristlecone pines were neat to see. I had a V-Strom 1000 and it didnt seem like any more of a dirt bike then any 500lb street bike Ive had. But Im a two stroke dirt bike guy. If your careful any streetbike can work ok on dirt roads.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    My DR650 will run at 80 mph all day and has never used a drop of oil or vibrated much or needed a service every 6,000 miles like some european bikes seem to need.Its so simple it should be criminal,dirt or street it works fine. 3,000 on craigs list and then 2,000 for setup on suspension and what not and its an off/on road touring bike. No panache what so ever but it works for me on an increasing number of road trips.
  12. Monkey_Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm not the one making the claim. You are. And it sounds like you can't back it up. :D

Might want to revise the statement to reflect your opinion instead of a fact.
  13. Monkey_Boy

Oddometer:
    :lol3

My buddy's 2005 LT with 24,000 miles started leaking oil at the tranny output shaft when we were in the middle of Nowhere, NM. We thought it was the final drive but it turned out to be the output shaft seal. Now me, on my 2002 Goldwing, I just looked at the oil leak and shrugged. What can you say? What a POS? No, and they did fix it under warranty. But still... WTF is up with that?

BMW koolaid drinkers, hey, have at it. I loved my 2003 1150GS, although the fuel gauge never worked right, and I always wondered if the final drive bearing would fail me out in the middle of BumFuckEgypt, Baja.... Own it for the love of it but don't delude yourself that it's the freakin' perfect machine and everyone is a dickwad for thinking otherwise. My first BMW was a 1992 K100. What a flaming piece of crap that was.

Until BMW gets its act together, owning a BMW is not worth it to me. YMMV.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    My 03 1150R only made it to 25,000 miles before it needed enough new electrical parts and labor that it would have been a 3500.00 repair had it not been under warranty,two under warranty fixes later and it was gone before the warranty quit.I couldnt imagine owning one of these bikes without a catch all warranty. True BMW riders dont worry about the cost and consider it the price of admission. 6,000 miles and then it needs a service?Even Ducati has gotten away from this,no wonder the local dealer is always buried in bikes to work on. They all need work all the time if you ride em much. Fun bikes to ride though.
  15. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    :puke1 :puke1 :puke1 :puke1 :puke1 :puke1 :asshat we found another BMW basher...have you nothing else to do.... OH dont forget to visit the Versys and the KTM thread....:lol3
  16. Monkey_Boy

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I'm such a basher. But you're right, at this moment I have nothing else to do. Oh wait. Think I'll pour me another Glenlivet. :lol3
  17. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    You know......I can understand that statement, as I own a DL650. That motor was not built to live at 3-4k RPM's....and feels very doggy. But if you keep it around 6-9k RPM's, it has all the spirit I want.

Now that statement isn't an endorsement for the bike in the dirt, but the Strom is still a lot of fun on fire roads, etc. And if you mount some TKC's and mount a smaller front sprocket, it gets around great at low speeds.

Anyway, I wouldn't trade my Strom for any bike under $10k.

If I had $15k burning a hole in my pocket.......Well, the only bike I would own would be a 1200GSA....and I would need another $5k.
  18. Lopoetve

Lopoetve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i thought they'd been out overseas for some time?
  19. Lopoetve

Lopoetve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's not that the rides aren't fun - its that the bike doesn't do anything for me. I don't look forward to riding it - I'll choose to ride almost anything else first. Yes, it's reliable, yes, it's capable.

So is a corolla. Neither does anything for me :(
  20. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you actually have an opinion on the F650GS or F800GS? One, to quote you, "based on fact". :ear