1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

How's BMW reliability (thinking 650/800GS) and maintenance?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lopoetve, Aug 4, 2008.

1. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no idea BMW made such unreliable motorcycles, I would have guessed just the opposite. I had mixed emotions in '05 when the search for my next "perfect" for me bike ended at a BMW dealer. I had never even ridden a BMW, and had never spent that much money for a motorcycle either. The test ride sealed the deal however, and 29K miles later I am still loving it, and still waiting for something to break or go wrong. I breathe a sigh of relief every time it makes it back home.:ricky

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly not an add for BMW. To be brutally honest if I had known back then my now ex-wife was gonna ruin me financially, and I would not need a 2up adventure touring bike, I'd still be riding my KLR...:baldy I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if you don't have the money it takes to own and maintain a BMW, or a Honda for that matter, then don't buy them.

I've learned to sit back and take it all with a grain of salt here, it really is quite comical at times. Guys bragging about their bikes being faster than brand x by a cunt hair....I mean really ...woop de friggen do...and 20lbs lighter like it means they can moto-x their 480lb bike and your 500lb bike shouldn't leave the pavement...:lol3 Then there's, "I can buy 3 of mine for the price of yours"....who gives a chit, ride all three at one time if you really want to impress someone.....:deal :lol3

Took a while for me to figure out that if Joe Blow wants to spend 100K for a piece of azz jewelry he rides 100 miles a year on special occasions in pretty weather it's his business, and if it makes him happy then hooray for Joe...:thumb But hey, at least I figured it out...(hint hint)...:wink:
  2. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I have had 2 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki, 3 Hondas and 3 BMWs. Never had a problem with any of them. Check the bike out before you leave the house! I pack gear for sleeping in the desert for a day or 2 if I get stranded on a solo voyage - someone will come along sooner or later. Isint this the reason we go adventure travelling in the first place. If you are afraid of getting caught in the wild - ride on the highway...lots of help and good cell phone coverage!.....

After reading this gloom and doom I think I sould cancel the F800gs and crawl under a rock.:cry
  3. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    So much so that I cancelled my subscription to the Comedy Network...hey, laughs on ADVRider are free.

BTW, you forgot the "how wide are your chicken strips" and "how many miles in a day" threads. But they do have their use. Now I know who my heros are. :lol3
  4. Monkey_Boy

Monkey_Boy Los bichos atacan

Oddometer:
    It's hell, isn't it? The cost of a status symbol. :lol3
  5. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, is that what it is....I could have sworn they sold those down the street at the potato potato costume outlet store......oh well, I guess I can use all the help I can get living in a house that used to have wheels on it...:lol3
  6. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look up the word "irony" in a dictionary.
  7. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Best HD stealership reference ever.:clap :rofl :lol3 I'll bet even Bueller would like that one.:D
  8. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    That it would be, but only to those who need to be seen...as in dough-nut shop hang-outs. But that would apply to any brand when it comes to those types of riders, if you can call them that.
  9. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    I don't mean to stir the pot so to speak but I seem to remember reading, possibly on this forum, or hearing that BMW was having some of there engines built in China. Can anyone confirm this as true or that its a made up rumor.
    Dudley
  10. Dudley

Oddometer:
    I also am in the market for a new bike to ride to Alaska and the Maritine provences of Canada. The problem that I have with the new bikes out there is that they are too complex for me. Fly by wire throttles, fuel injection, etc. Last year I road the length of Baja then over to Creel and the Copper Canyon and back up to Phoenix. I was on my trusty XR650L and when the battery failed on a friends new BMW G-650 X-Country we took my battery and installed it in the BMW. We had to bump start my Honda but then it ran perfectly. Because of that experience I think I'll buy a Transalp. Simple, can repair most things on the side of the road and it will run without a battery. I already checked out the KTM 690E and will pass on that for now and I'll check out the F800GS when it arrives and I will be tempted but I believe the temptation will pass.
    Dudley
  11. Uriel

Uriel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just dropped it off tonight and they said £59.80. That's Cooper Mill Sunderland.
  12. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    :norton I too, faced your dilema 3 months ago. I had a strom that I had to put a new motor in, not under a warranty at 30,000 miles. I heard the reliabilty horror stories of the few, but most folk don't seem to have trouble with their BMWs. No vehicle is perfect, but at least BMW takes care of their bikes and are good about standing behind warranties! I for one, will NEVER buy anything Suzuki again! I have almost 3,000 miles on my GSA and can say I love this bike more than any other I have owned or ridden.....:freaky
  13. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    For now, G-series only.
  14. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    Don't do it, you'll be sorrrry!:baldy
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  16. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last update I got said the new scooters built in China in a joint venture between BMW & Harley Davidson should be in the USA by late '09. Supposedly BMW sent their engine(ers) to China to assist in the joint effort. I can't confirm any of this mind you but was told by an insider that the scooters would be offered in two models.

The FXRDBBPOS, (aka Bling Bling or BB) will be sold exclusively at Harley dealerships. It is a low slung, chromed out street only version with a MSRP of $20,205.00

BMW dealers get the R205GSASS, (aka adventure super scooter, or ASS) which has a euro paint scheme, enduro tires, adjustable windshield, GPS, ABS, PITA, etc, etc, etc. The MSRP is unknown but should be a little less than the BB.
    They will be shipped in crates packed with Harley clothes, boots, trinkets, stickers, emblems, etc, etc, to cut down on costs. As soon as one of them runs long enough to make it out of the plant we'll get a spy photo...:thumb
  17. Dudley

Oddometer:
    GOOD ONE...
    The D man
  18. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    I've owned six different BMWs now, with my seventh (an F658GS) on order - none have ever had a significant issue.

I worked at a BMW dealer for over 5 years - I could count on less than two hands the number of ride ending issues that I've seen with the bikes, with a majority being the final drive failure. (and because I left just prior to the EWS days)

Nothing is as bad as what you read, but shit does happen all of the time. If you want something uber-reliable, go buy a jap bike, but even then it's still a roll of the dice with only marginally better odds I'd say.
  20. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    The only modern bike which stranded me was a DL1k. Twice. I had FD issues with one GS but BMW addressed it (after a bit of a fuss). It never stranded me.