How's the riding down there? (Ozarks)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by _CJ, Sep 10, 2019.

1. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    In a continued search for places to consider for early retirement, the Ozark region has popped up on my radar for no other reason than wooded national forest land, less expensive real estate, and at least somewhat less frozen than areas to the north in the winter months.

Wondering how how the riding, and recreation in general, is down there. I like to ride dirt, anything from single-track to dirt roads. Also into mountain biking, fishing, hiking.

Any specific towns or areas that are better than others?

:ear

2. Efzie Juan

Efzie Juan n00b

Oddometer:
  3. Efzie Juan

Efzie Juan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there,
    I live in Fort Smith Arkansas. Everything that you really like, we have in spades in the west central and north west portions of the state. Really, even south of where I live there is a series of mountains that are called the Ouachita mountains. North of me is the Ozarks. We have at least one good river for canoeing called the Mulberry River and there is dual sport riding all over the place as long as you are away from the large cities. Bentonville, Arkansas was host to the international mountain bike Association festival a few years ago. We have spectacular mountain biking in that area. You could not do much better than Arkansas, but please tell people not to come here. We want to keep it for ourselves. You're the last one we'll let in!

If you like fishing, there's plenty of that to be had at Beaver lake, Lake Ouachita, and creek fishing in many locations. Mountain View is a retirement community. It is spectacular. You should visit it sometime. I do not think you'll be disappointed. P. S. The TransAmerican trail runs through this region, it's less than 45 minutes from my house. Ever heard of War Loop Road? It's been mentioned by some as one of the most difficult parts of the trans American trail. Anyway, I hope that was helpful and I hope you come and visit sometime. I really do love it here, except for the ridiculous heat in the summer. That's pretty bad.
    PlowHand and _CJ like this.
  4. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the lack of replies has me thinking it must be pretty good. Might have to head down there in the spring to check it out.

Seems to be about five hours from several large metropolitan areas. Does it get overrun with tourists on weekends and holidays?

Any tax or regulatory advantages to one state over the others in the region?

5. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ozarks are awesome. Both Missouri and Arkansas encourage motorcycle touring and publish maps for that purpose. You will know that you have arrived when yousee the first CROOKED AND STEEP AHEAD road sign! Spring and fall are fabulous but as mentioned above they have long hot summers. The only regulatory issue that comes to mind is that Arkansas has some dry areas - not sure if they do that by county or town.

https://ridermagazine.com/tag/missouri-motorcycle-rides/
    https://www.ozarkrides.com/
    https://www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/motoring-byways/motorcycling
    _CJ likes this.
  6. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    go on to the ark site plenty of Riding Street or Dirt,,,
  7. Efzie Juan

Efzie Juan n00b

Oddometer:
    It's worth noting that we frequently have very mild winter days and are able to ride sporadically throughout the winter. If you come down here, you have to check out the Buffalo National River area regardless of whether or not you're planning on canoeing. It is just a stunning place.
    _CJ likes this.
  8. Efzie Juan

Efzie Juan n00b

Oddometer:
    For example IMG_1473.JPG
    PlowHand and _CJ like this.
  9. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC_1090.JPG I have settled in the Ozarks near Saint James MO. My town and each one next door has a tourist visitor center. So something is pulling people in.

National forest for days down here, so two track, and curvy letter roads are common. Trout, smallmouth, floating, hunting, camping blah blah blah

Like mentioned above you are the last one allowed in.
    PlowHand, yosso and _CJ like this.
  10. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also want to add that Springfield mo is a good sized city that is on flat terrain but right next door to some beautiful areas with elevation changes that would be challenging in winter. Lots of good lakes and national forest down there also. Trout fishing etc
  11. Faultline55

Faultline55 n00b

Oddometer:
  12. Faultline55

Faultline55 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am Faultline55. I live in the N.E. area of Arkansas. The Ozarks begin in N.Central and are a great place to live. I moved here from San Diego in 1971
    We gave tons of nice roads. Queen Wilhemena Park is on the west side of Arkansas and will lead you to Oklahoma.
    This Park is on a National Level of places to ride in USA.
    Tons of riding, camping, and lakes and rivers in the Land _ok f Opportunity.
    Currently I am riding a CB 900f 919.
    _CJ likes this.