Hp Sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by High Octane, Jan 15, 2017.

1. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me why not. Seriously tell me why should I not...

IMG_0406.JPG

It's either this or "Swingerize" my K16.
    FR700 likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's really no such thing as "not". There is simply what you want, or what you would rather. Dismissing what you want it absurd.
  3. BMWBUD

BMWBUD Should be old enough to be better.

Oddometer:
    Little different take. Are you asking for advice about possible problems?
  4. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah any knowledge of problems? I know that it's been for sale a long time. I don't know if that's because of problems or if it's just a small market. I know there have been a few here that have tried hub steering. Any discouraging issues with them? If there aren't any technical issues then the big issue will just be my ability to decide which of my current motos I will give up to keep the stable size in check.
    My SIL had the same bike without a sidecar. I know they are powerful, fast, hot and uncomfortable. But some bar and seat work should help the comfort. Not sure what to do about the heat. Maybe move the radiator or cut some holes in the fairing. All my hacks have been of the rat variety but the mods to this might need a bit more finesse.
    Mr.umbrella likes this.
  5. norton(kel)

norton(kel) vintage

Oddometer:
    Should Should Should!!!!!
    FR700 and JustKip like this.
  6. Sidewise

Sidewise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There really is no reason to not buy if you have the $$$$s. That is Jay Hall's outfit of the HP Sidecar group. The sidecar market itself is extremely small add HP and that makes it minute. I would if I wasn't so aged , had the bucks and had the space.
    claude likes this.
  7. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money and space are issues here too. Aged? 58 going on 16. But I want it, just don't want to sell anything to get space and money. Everything I buy I loose money on.
  8. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Just get the damn thing already and worry about the logistics later.
    Prosmart, Sidewise, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you'd end up losing a lot more on your K16, and this one is already set up

KneeDrachen, Bobmws and Jeff 8 like this.
  10. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's how I usually do things.
    FR700 likes this.
  11. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Is there another way?!
    norton(kel) likes this.
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Belongs to my friend , Jay. I've had a little go on it. I'm solidly in the Buy Now ! or regret it for the rest of your life , camp.
    I'd like to volunteer my services as a delivery muppet , for the price of a plane ticket home. After this thing called winter is over , of course.
    As for references , I offer Jay. I rode his FJ1100 from San Jose , Ca. to Kentucky for him back in 2002.

[​IMG]

Here in Santa Cruz.
    Docsflyhog, Bobmws and FR700 like this.
  13. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you for the offer to ride to SD but I always do business in person. Saves me from any misunderstandings that can't be rectified quickly.
    I'm defiantly teetering, about to fall off the fence. But I'm wondering what it would cost to get a European CHS and European or Hannigan rig put on my K16. Likely have to make a call or two to overseas.
    bk brkr baker likes this.
  14. Neptune03

Neptune03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a RDS Neptune sidecar that I imported myself. I can guarantee that between the cost of the "kit" and expense of shipping, it would be much more than the total cost of Jay's entire outfit. I have ridden both a ZX1400 and Concours 1400 with Hannigan HP sidecars and can attest that anything you could purchase from Europe would not be any better. Although the outfit Jay is offering does not have a Hannigan sidecar, the main parts that make it an incredible handling machine are there - center hub front end, anti-swaybar and custom rear wheel. The center hub and rear wheel on Jay's bike are "Hannigan" (Bill Ballou designed and built) items so the only difference in his bike and a true Hannigan Concours HP outfit is the sidecar frame and body (GX Racer on Jay's - which I really like). I am amazed that Jay's bike is still available, it is a screaming deal for what he is offering. My only guess is that people do not realize the incredible difference between a HPS and a standard outfit. I didn't either until many years ago when I was at a sidecar rally in Pennsylvania where Roger Symington let me ride his Yamaha FJ with Side Bike Comanche. I left the rally knowing that I had to have one. I was lucky to find a FJ1200 with Comanche (one of only a few in the USA) in California that I bought sight unseen. Since then I have owned a Yamaha GTS1000 with Side Bike Mega Comet and now the Hayabusa with RDS Neptune. Once you have had a taste of a machine like these you will never go back. Whoever does end up with Jay's bike will have "seen the light" like I did and be incredibly happy. The rest of you that thought about it but didn't pull the trigger will never know - SORRY.
    JustKip, Bobmws and claude like this.
  15. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    I see no downside to that outfit. Great group of guys in the HPS world in this country. Everything stated on the plus side in previous posts is dead on. Go to HP Sidecars.com great group....say hello from Claude hps jay hall.JPG .
    Bobmws likes this.
  16. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy it! If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands, at the usual discounted price...
    norton(kel) and Ridn3 like this.
  17. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    The discounted price is the worry!

After sleeping on it, this is the plan. Buy the HP rig, sell the Sputnik rig, and keep the Bandit. If it fits the trailer.
    Or maybe not....
    JustKip, Bobmws and FR700 like this.
  18. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    What Octane has neglected to tell you guys it's to take his wife and full sized dog across the country in , or was that just a story you told me ?
    Do you live with any of your cheering section ?
    If you want it to have fun with buy it if you want to take the wife and Woody for a ride, it's a small sidecar ! Woodys going to need his nails long to hold on to whatever he's laying on !
  19. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Slap two Mack mudflaps on it and nail Woody's arse to the front of the chair (stacks optional). Done.

Bobmws likes this.
  20. BMWBUD

BMWBUD Should be old enough to be better.

Oddometer:
    I can't decide if I'm indecisive or not. :D
    JustKip and High Octane like this.