HPN Paris Dakar replica

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by adventure950, Jul 19, 2011.

1. IronSpadeCycles

IronSpadeCycles Button Pusher

Oddometer:
    So I was wondering a few things about your bike I might have missed while reading through the last 20 pages. What handlebar did you end up using? Also, I ran a MEFO tire on my lightweight Honda XR440 for a 5200 mile trip and by the end, I had cracks forming around every knobby lug on the tire. I let it go as i knew the tire was spent anyway and was going back to a Metzler Karoo, but at $269 for a tire, 5200 miles wasn't in my mind enough mile for money. How did yours fair or did you even get to ride it that long?

Thanks for the help. I'm doing something very similar, just not everything the same. I'm using a Honda XR600R fork, front wheel and brakes and a WP solo shock from a KTM I had left over from a KTM500 enduro. The swinger will still be twin shock style but with a trellis similar to the early 80's Yamaha YZ's. The frame will have the added bracing to accommodate the backbone mounted upper shock mount.

I'll be posting more details to my build thread over the next few weeks.

Thanks for taking the time to document this build so well. Its so inspiring!

Later Travis
  2. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    it's great to see you mobile and not in pain. I just found this thread a few days ago and was saddened to see how it turned out a year ago.

Do you think you mates will still make a swing arm and the bracing pieces? I have a line on a G/S...
  3. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
  4. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Hi dc950 I am sure they would make a longer swing arm but not sure on price could be quite expensive as they have moved on from that project, I am sure it would be cheaper to get one made up back home in the states. If you decide you want one maybe I could put you in touch and you can see how it pans out cost wise but then the cost of postage to usa from here would be very high as its a bulky heavy bit of kit to post. Cheers Jake.
  5. rediRrakaD

rediRrakaD Whoopdie do Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. IronSpadeCycles

Oddometer:
    Do your recall which model Renthal bars they are? They look taller than any MX style offered here in the states.
  7. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Sorry I have no idea now - to long ago - I just went in my local MX shop they were on th shelf for £22.00 and seemed about right for the job so I bought them - I actually wanted grey silver version but they only had the gold ones. So no help to you on that. For your info the rise on them was very close to the original G/S bars.
  8. IronSpadeCycles

Oddometer:
    Well I did some research on the bars and as it turns out Renthal make a bar called the Enduro bend, that is originally designed for big dual sports and tall riders. They are available here in the states and I have a set on order now.

Thanks for your build. I've always been much more of a visual learner, and seeing someone else go through each build step by step, goes a long way towards truly understanding the details.

I'm so looking forward to get mine on the road. Soon, it has to be finished by May so I can put some break in miles on her before the Pikes Peak Hill Climb race this summer. I have a few friends racing in it and I agreed to help with pit work. I want to ride my Bemmer up there the weekend before the race then ride around scenic Colorado for a week after and back home here to Houston TX. I should log about 3600 miles on that ride.

Thanks again. Talk soon, Travis
  9. gammaemme

gammaemme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    all the best for the back m8...all the best!!
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Awesome
  11. boardbrother

boardbrother n00b

Oddometer:
    i saw a bike similar to yours today in my garage…..:evil
    Very good choice for color.

boardbrother

[​IMG]
  12. Dmaster

Dmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you give me huge detailed pictures of about anything? :p
    These bikes are interesting :evil
  13. GrahamM

GrahamM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

looks like there is no drive shaft boot installed between the transmission and swing...

just missing or intentional with a mod that does away with it?
  14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Just caught up with the news on your back Jake excellent stuff. My sister suffered the same for years & it got her really down but had the same op & is a different person.

You owe it to us to do a build thread tho - you do them so well:D

cheers
    craig
  15. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Graham M the boot on the driveshaft was missing i had fitted a non genuine one from motorworks it was a nightmare to get on - the rubber was to thick and un-pliable and it started to split as I was building it -a new one (genuine bmw) was in the post as I took the pics so it was a quick job of dropping the driveshaft back and popping a new one in - well spotted you are the first to have mentioned it.
    Padmei ; cheers for that yep the op has been a great success - something I never expected. Brilliant !, I have a few minor aches and pains but that's age now i think - my days going on the dirt are in the main over though. I am building an Elefant up at the minute - i have the engine stripped in the garage and its starting to come back together with a few minor upgrades - the chassis and some bodywork are away at the paintshop for a bit of tidying up and a full more reliable wiring harness is stringing its way together. The forks and rear suspension are awaiting rebuild but largely the bike is just being cleaned and kept fairly standard and made good for riding it certainly wont be a show piece - just mechanical stuff will be right - or better than new - ready for a trip away later this year if i can get the funds together. Sorry no thread on it takes time I don't have at the moment. All the best Jake.
  16. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the surgery if you go for it - just from my research and experience go with the best surgeon you can - get a neuro surgeon not a orthopedic surgeon and get a fusion stay clear of disc replacement they fail and are high risk if put under pressure. I had a three vertebrae fused in 1974 when I broke my back and they have been solid and never given me any problems - so that's 40 Years of abuse, and they are still fine lets hope the new one in the neck is done and lasts as well. Jake.
  17. rediRrakaD

rediRrakaD Whoopdie do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! My current research has come to the same conclusion in regards to the replacement idea.
    Right now I'm dealing with my latest "abuse":lol3.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948987
    Never hit my head, in fact I landed cleanly on my laptop (backpack) with my normal ATGATT underneath. Ironically, since this get-off, my neck/back have felt fantastic!!!! The leg healing is going better then I could have ever imagined.:clap
    Hoping to get back up to the shop and finish up my rig:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628395&highlight=forked+rubber

Cheers,
    S.
  18. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
  19. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: