1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventurehobbit.gif

Whenever I ask for feedback, here is a common reply. When can we do this again? Mark a calendar for the weekend of June 5 - 6, 2021 for the 6th installment of the Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride. This is a 2-day (optional additional half day available) ride for street legal adventure bikes through the Driftless area of Northwest Illinois, Southwest Wisconsin and the Mississippi River bluffs of Iowa. The entire route is big bike friendly so bring anything you are comfortable on. Lots of sporty pavement, lonely gravel roads, bluffs and valleys, flora and fauna, rural oddities, rivers, lakes, rustic bridges, a ferry ride, a water ford or two, maybe four, pleasant scenery and good vibes. Both Sunday and Saturday tracks will be in the 180-200 mile range with an optional 80 mile track for the people who like to take off Friday and are looking for somewhere to ride that afternoon. All kinds of worthy way points and photo opportunities to take in. We have utilized a few different campgrounds over the years, but I thought last years venue worked out swimmingly, so the plan again is to use Palace Campground in Galena as Hugellandschaft Ground Zero. You are in charge of procuring and funding your own lodging and Palace can be reached at this web address; Palace Campground You might want to mention that you are part of the motorcycle group so that they can assist placing you near the action of my site, trusty number 89. The campground has plenty of tent sites, numerous levels of power/water sites, showers, a pool and mini golf for the family. Speaking of family feel free to bring them along. Galena has a vibrant historic downtown, bicycle paths, numerous parks, kayaking, Alpine slide at the ski resort and artists galore. Palace is also within walking distance of food/beverage services and Wal Mart for those forgotten items like a 30 amp to usable cord adapter plug for the pork roaster. So handy. If you are a hotel kind of adventurer let Google be your guide as there are numerous B & B’s, cabins and hotels in the area. Just a little hint, the Country Inn and Suites is walking distance from site 89 and the Ramada is not far away either. As always site 89 will have coffee each morning, a hot grill available to use Friday night, cold drinking water, group campfires, collectable Bonebag designed/Dr Zed produced stickers, spicy mustard from the Polish market and of course the standard feast of pork and trimmings on Saturday night, all at no cost. I will post the tracks here in this thread for download when they are completed to my liking which will be a while so hold tight. I will also bring my laptop to the campground for anyone who needs an on-site transfer. Here is a link to last years gathering to give you an idea of what to expect; Hugellandschaft 2020 Like many similar events here on ADV Rider the recipe for this gathering is much the same. This is an informal gathering of like minded enthusiasts for the sole purpose of enjoying life. You are riding at your own risk and needless to say we are all involved in a very risky hobby. That is OK, just respect the assumed danger. Like I tell my grandchildren, everyone should have a favorite activity in life that requires a helmet. Do your best to be self-navigated, it is a skill that will reward you many times over. We can always find a helpful guide group if you are new to this, but it is best for everyone to keep the number small. Lest you think otherwise please be aware that there is next to nothing as far as organization. This is a very laid back, inorganic event. You ride at your pace, go when you want, eat/drink what you want and be kind to everyone you contact. We would love to have you join us this weekend, but the tracks can be ridden whenever your schedule permits. Please stop by site 89 if anything just to say hi but more importantly bring an appetite Saturday night because I had way too many leftovers last year. This event has been a magnificent opportunity to meet new riders, re-visit the usual's, learn useful tips and share great stories. Oh yea, one other feedback item I get is; “Just exactly what is a Hugellandschaft?” Here is your answer Translation and Sven, I apologize for not being able to get those funny German language dots over the “U” from my keyboard.

Track added for download on May 30

Attached Files:

Keithert, Buck83, l_c8 and 15 others like this.
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hip hip hooray!

sing out when/if ya need any assistance!
  3. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love that area, haven't found the water crossings yet. I will be interested to see the tracks.
  4. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    On the calendar.
  5. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry, thanks for all of your effort on this event. Palace campground is a great place to camp. Here is a pic from our ferry crossing last year.

IMG_0172.jpg
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this was one of them.

D2P06.jpg

Planning to be there. I hear the Enfield Himalayan contingent might be more than just me this year. :clap
    bomber60015 likes this.
  7. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    Emerging from the hobbit hole on last year's ride...

IMGP4463.JPG
  8. bomber60015

Oddometer:

Count on that!
  9. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds awesome. I will definitely try and attend. It's fairly self evident, but I'm one to double and triple check....it sounds like these will all be "out and back" loops each day, so you can begin end your day at the same campground/lodging of your choice, correct?

As a very happy "customer" of one of your previous routes (see link below), I'm already looking forward to this one.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/council-hill-il-track.1475021/
  10. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Your assumption on loop design is correct. Stay on the supplied tracks and you will end where you started. Glad you enjoyed the Council Hill track. Nice to see people using these. You will see some familiar places at Hugellandschaft plus a bunch more.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    For now I'm assuming that (like last year) the Palace doesn't take reservations for tent sites; you just show up and there's always room for one more. Right?
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. Gerken

Oddometer:
    T
    That is correct, no reservation required. There are literally acres of available tent site space scattered about the far end of the property. It would be difficult for the Palace staff to designate specific tent sites within the vastness so you set up anywhere, campers discretion. This system allows much freedom to tailor your comfort level for neighbor space. I was told one year they had just over 500 scouts for a gathering, all in tents and there was still area for more. Don't worry about space, there will definitely be room for tents.
    enduro16, Bultaco206 and bomber60015 like this.
  13. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    Following and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to attend. I need an adventure after the past few years. My last adventure was in June 2019 :dirtdog
    bomber60015 likes this.
  14. Wmccree

Wmccree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following
  15. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have unsuccessfully tried to clear this weekend and join this event for the last two years. Hopefully, third time will be the charm.
  16. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok back on the calendar again this year. Intended to go last year but when the camp ground canceled my reservation and it moved to Galena to camp the Covid kept me away. I survived the thing although it took 4 weeks of my life away from me!
  17. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it through!
    kimzx1000r likes this.
  18. Romet

Romet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in.
  19. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    I had this on last years schedule but work didn't allow. It's back on the schedule, hopefully with more success this year!

So....Versys 650 or CRF450l? I have no problems riding all day on the CRF now that it has a kickass Seat Concepts seat on it, but if it is mainly paved I would probably prefer the Versys.
  20. dog54

dog54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have watched this from the side lines for couple of years and planning to attend this year. Sounds like a perfect fit for me and my DR650, sounds like a great time.
    rizzo27 and bomber60015 like this.