1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bugs didn't seem bad at all this weekend.
  3. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks big time for these great video's. That Relive product is a game changer and you did a super job capturing the sites along the way. I never seem to find time for quality pictures, glad to see others have the skill set.
  4. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a weekend. As with any outdoor event weather dictates the crowd size so I should have known but I was most certainly not quite prepared for the number of attendees. My apologies first and foremost to the unlucky few who missed out on the crunchy pea salad and baked bean creation due to my quantity misjudgment. The previous 5 years event numbers never wavered beyond that 50-person mark. This time around we cooked 108 pork chops and at the end of the night I bagged up a total of 11 pieces of pork that went unused. Thanks to everyone who donated goodies to the food table. Sally’s fudge was a huge hit and Dale’s five pounds of cheese curds disappeared in short order. It was so nice to see everyone again and make new friends after the struggles that 2020 heaped upon us all. I get awful busy keeping things in order and helping people with navigation issues so if I did not get a chance to spend more quality time with you hit me up next year, I can do better. It is so great to have people who are willing to help and help they did. Many groups were kind enough to take in a new to the area rider and show them the ropes of Hugellandschaft. Often, I feel like I did not create this event, it created itself so big hugs to all who made a newbie comfortable and my job a breeze. We had riders from all over the Midwest and yes, Team Sooner from Oklahoma made the longest journey. Special mention to a few individuals who were key in pulling the weekend off. Grill Master Ray kept the pork chop grill under control once again and accompanied me on the hike to Charles Mound on Sunday. Fellow club member LaMont filled in as a very handy assistant/support team member at the grill and supplied me with a tasty Sunday brunch as well, mmmm. Cheers to that well-travelled Bomber guy who proofed a few tracks that I could not seem to find the time for and let me sample from his very flat thermos again, once for this year and another swig for the passing of 2020. Driftless Road Adventures Dale led a group on an all-pavement ride across the cheddar curtain, thanks for filling that void. Robert cooked some very tasty sausages from Gene’s for me that totally brightened my Saturday morning omelet. Thanks so much and good to know that despite the look, you are not a hit man. To all who left a donation of one of my favorite bootleg beverages (well, bootleg in Illinois anyway) cool, how thoughtful of you. A huge, huge thanks to everyone that left a donation in the cardboard box of benevolence. A tip of the helmet to Jimbo who followed along Saturday with me on the Iowa roads scouting for next year. I think I can weave another three miles of Level B road in for the Day 2 track, stay posted. Finally, a big wet doggy kiss to all who attended. Giving back is reward enough but what an inspiration to hear all the kind words of gratitude. Keep safe everyone and let us plan on seeing each other again June 2022.
  5. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone from the Chicagoland area have a motorcycle lift that I can come use for about an hour at some point over the next few days? I bought some new shocks and simply need to replace 4 bolts to get them on, but I dont have the motorcycle lift and my cheap car jack is not getting the job done.

Who wants to hook a brother up so I dont need to spend $120 bucks on a lift that I'm going to use one time!
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have a roll-it-on lift, but I do have a hydraulic frame jack that I used for that exact same purpose when changing shocks on the Road King last summer. I'm in the St. Charles area (just south of Elgin, on and sometimes in the Fox River), and am unemployed--I mean, retired--so I could probably find some time to be around. PM me if interested.
    Three Crates likes this.
  7. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like You had no option of dis-liking the sausages.
    "Robert cooked some very tasty sausages from Gene’s for me that totally brightened my Saturday morning omelet. Thanks so much and good to know that despite the look, you are not a hit man. "
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drop me a PM. I’m in the far northern suburbs.
  9. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    Hey, this guy...

8EE83866-637A-4388-9A96-3CF82A7B57A8.jpeg

... who rode yer Himalayan with us on Saturday... check in please. I know your IRL name but missed your inmate handle...
    Three Crates likes this.
  10. Al1307

Al1307 n00b

Oddometer:
    I couldn't do the ride last weekend because I had a wedding on Saturday so I did some of the route yesterday. Well apparently the only place getting rain is south of Dubuque and I found some mud on the route. vlcsnap-2021-06-12-14h51m24s635.png

This was on 380th Ave. Clutch ended up giving me problems and I couldn't put power to the rear. So I had to call a friend with a Jeep to tow me out. Needless to say, wish I did the ride last week.

vlcsnap-2021-06-12-14h49m30s220.png

vlcsnap-2021-06-12-14h54m48s060.png
    Parcero and tech199 like this.
  11. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 380th looked a lot nicer last Friday!

03A251CC-CB9B-4519-8EA6-2CEF9E9E4840.jpeg
    bomber60015 and Al1307 like this.
  12. Gerken

Oddometer:
    That is an unfortunate turn of events but if it helps, Jackson County 380th Ave has tortured many a motorcycle and rider, you have company. This is why I have the skull and crossbones icon at each end of Iowa "B" roads. When things are dry it's a simple road with less gravel but when wet, well, here is what happens. Hope things worked out for you and don't give up, there will be a better day to enjoy that area.
    bomber60015 and slider162 like this.
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan for the positive depiction of that Jekyll or Hyde thoroughfare known as 380th Ave. Usually the pictorial evidence we see from that stretch is, uh, unpleasant. As always your photo's and input are exceptional and most appreciated. In life, timing is everything, particularly riding Iowa's minimal maintenance roads.
    bomber60015 and Al1307 like this.
  14. Al1307

Al1307 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yea I was also out there a week ago on a Thursday and had a good time and it was perfectly dry. My confidence was riding pretty high, I just finished a 6 day camping trip through Colorado and Utah (did the Shafer Trail in Canyonlands) and figured I could handle any Iowa road but it was humbling. Bike is alright, just had to readjust my clutch cable, spent some money at a car wash, and needs some paint on the crash bars. I've lived in Dubuque for 3 years now and never knew this road existed so thanks for posting the routes and I hope to join the ride next year.