1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll repeat my offer of the last few years ...

If there’s a rider that’s new to gravel running, feels a lil rusty, or simply doesn’t feel like bouncing off trees with the hotshoes, I’m happy to have you ride with me. I ain’t real fast, but no one has more fun, guaranteed.

I’ll be the silverback with the Himalayan.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fun bike to ride Mark. Bought it in Oct with an early November delivery date. Delay after delay. Finally got it in March. Hope you can get hold of one. We'll do a small bike ride sometime.
    BigDogAdventures likes this.
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds awesome---------45mph---smelling "ALL" the roses :lol3
    Bultaco206 and Cannonshot like this.
  4. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    That would be me; not keen on bouncing off anything.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  5. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    With a 500# curb weight, the Africa Twin doesn't do well for bouncing off trees. I'll stick to the gravel (and occasional dirt forest road)
    bomber60015 likes this.
  6. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got site 86. Bringing my son, he is a novice rider, so I'm looking forward to showing him some great riding.
    bomber60015 and Gerken like this.
  7. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. SION1771

SION1771 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, when I saw @Cannonshot post his I went head over heels about it. Now I really want one but having spent time researching, the advrider forum points out that we're a year behind in the development of these. If you wait until 2022 there will be a handful of features the rest of the world already has on theirs. As usual, the U.S. is a dumping ground for old motorcycle tech.

Second, that's in AR, and third, they're asking $600 over retail. Yeah, it has all those accessories but if it hasn't sold in the past five weeks, it might not be worth driving to AR to check out.

I'm super excited to see @Cannonshot 's though. Here's a YouTube of some of them zipping around. Great reviews for this purpose, and that's exactly what I had in mind.

davepen likes this.
  9. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted it quickly without reading. When I went back and read the ad.....:eek2....well let's just say the owner has a very "strong" asking price.
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The $4,500 really isn't a bad price to ask. MSRP doesn't get you out the door because of shipping, set-up, and document charges (but not including tax and DOT documents since the new user pays most of that again anyway). Buying and shipping accessories can be pricey since most aren't available here. Not that unreasonable with those and additional tires included. Someone will want it because most are already spoken for and some have dealer upcharges to MSRP because of demand (as much as $800).

But, apart from bike talk, it would be fun to get some small bike riders together as a sub-group to roll this ride. I guess having a small bike wouldn't be the issue. It would be more about who might want to join in and ride it small bike style no matter what that person was riding. We'll see what develops as we get closer. :D

That video looked fun.
    SION1771 and bomber60015 like this.
  11. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just give me a desirable mileage for the day and I am sure I could create a track specific to small machines. Truth be told, I would rather enjoy the challenge.
    bomber60015 and Cannonshot like this.
  12. davepen

Oddometer:
    For those in the know, are the trails in the video above better or worse than what you might encounter on this ride?
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    bomber60015 likes this.
  14. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Hugellandschaft is entirely public road so no, there is nothing remotely close to the above CT 125 video on this ride.
  15. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Technically, "Hurricane Creek Road" in NC is public... though I'm not sure I'd call it a "road."

I rode Hugellandschaft for the first time last year, and the roads were a mixture of pavement and all-weather gravel. There were a couple optional "hero" stretches that were like the easiest parts of what's shown in the video, but they were optional and our group opted not to ride them. Good thing, because I'm way too old for that kind of fun, even if I had a bike small and light enough that I could tuck it under my arm and walk out if I got stuck.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  16. davepen

Oddometer:
    Actually, I would try that road on my GS but not if it were that muddy. I'd probably regret it, but it didn't look that scary. I'm no hero though and that would be a bit past the upper limit of my skills.

Gravel is no worry (unless it's new, and deep).

Up to now, my Driftless riding has been confined to MN and WI and it has been terrific.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  17. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are both planning on riding our GS bikes at Hugellandschaft. We like riding on challenging terrain, but both bikes are currently wearing street tires. If it turns out to be a wet, muddy weekend, no big deal, we'll just seek out interesting pavement.
  18. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:

It is really hard to put a wheel wrong in the Driftless. Iowa is big fun, too!
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no good riding out here! So please...move along, folks. Thanks! :bmwrider
    Mow-ree and bomber60015 like this.
  20. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting. I might have to tag along.

I might have to take you up on that offer. Checking vacation schedule now.
    bomber60015 likes this.