1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. zilla

zilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been wanting to get to the ride. I'm actually too close to it to keep making excuses. IF I can get my DR350 running, i'll be on that. Otherwise, I may have to ride the Goldwing and hang out.
  2. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd kinda sorta like to do this event but Road America is calling on this weekend.
  3. tmark1301cc

Oddometer:
    Never mind. When/If I retire I won't have to worry about back to back weekends. Have fun, be safe.
  4. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh, is it June yet?
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feels like July!
    rizzo27 likes this.
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...in Arkansas!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  7. BlewRider

BlewRider n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Love the area.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  8. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I apologize for being so quiet on this thread but don't think I haven't been busy planning, tracking and general happiness concerning Hugellandschaft 2021. Thanks to all who have checked in and I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I have a good friend from Arizona visiting in the next few weeks and I plan on making use of his skills to assist me in scouting and proofing the Driftless landscape so look for "from the field" reports in the near future. I know Dale took a group hike up to Charles Mound (highest point in Illinois) last year and they had a good time. The point itself is on private property and is only publicly accessible a few limited weekends a year. As luck would have it June 5 and 6 this year is one of them. So if you are up for a one mile hike to the States highest summit (sorry Southern Illinois, we win) this is your chance. I will have an optional track to get you to the gate and you must park on or in the ditch of Charles Mound Road. No vehicles on or blocking the access lane, foot traffic only. You can learn more at this Summit Post website; Charles Mound I personally have never been up there but this might be the year if weather cooperates. This should be fun so keep safe people.
    enduro16, Daleah, reedski and 4 others like this.
  9. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be very tempting. However, it's quite the detour. I checked the site, and it's about 1.25 mile walk/hike each way...that would be a big time killer. However, the picture might be worth it. Hmmmmmmm.
  10. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    I do love how the "highest point in IL" is also the 45th-highest "highest point" in the USA.
    Bultaco206 and bomber60015 like this.
  11. Gerken

Oddometer:
    How about this. I put the supply of ultra cool Dr. Zed produced official Hugellandschaft stickers at the summit so the only way to snag one is make the journey up Charles Mound.
    enduro16, C.John, Doctor Zed and 5 others like this.
  12. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How friendly are these rides for a total road bike (Honda 919) and rider? I just want to get out and ride and camp more, and see other humans again.
  13. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    There’s a fair amount of gravel in the tracks provided in the past ....

But, there’s tasty pavement galore in the area ... it’s be hard to put a wheel wrong out there .... for routes and tracks, go to

https://www.driftlessroadadventures.com/

Big fun to be had!
    Daleah, rizzo27 and ahung12 like this.
  14. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Those are very obtainable goals at Hugellandschaft. There will be some gravel and well, less than gravel roads on my tracks so not knowing your comfort level on those surfaces best to use your judgement. I will have bypass tracks for what I feel could be questionable given the right weather and ground clearance on your 919 would be a concern from me on a stretch or two. I'm with Bomber on this, his genius switch has no off position and always has good advice. Come to Palace Camp for the people and food that weekend and if you never wish to leave pavement choose one of Dale's Driftless Road Adventure routes, you can't go wrong.
  15. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bomber: thanks for the rec. I may start with the Land of Lincoln route. I'm going to try out some central and southern IL camping this weekend and as the weather gets warmer including Shawnee so I should have an idea of what sort of off-road I can handle by the time this event rolls around, but very likely still take you up on the riding group offer.

Gerken: you had me at "people and food" lol. Thanks for putting this together, looking forward to it!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  16. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Shawnee natl forest is on my list for this summer ....

say hey in Galena ... it’s a great group of folks.
  17. tmark1301cc

Oddometer:
    As much as I'd like to participate in this event although I would be nervous in doing so, it is too close in proximity to other calendar events. If anyone that will be attending will also be in Elkhart Lake the following weekend please give me a shout. Have a great time!
  18. Back@It

Back@It n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time, going to try and make it up there. I've done some of the Driftless in WI, but nothing offroad in years and years.
  19. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charles Mound is a bit of a hike, but kind of neat considering its only open 1 weekend per month.

pro tip: bring bug repellent.

20190601_104324.jpg
    enduro16 and bomber60015 like this.
  20. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    Good tip for the Palace Campground as well. The worst bugs weren’t skeeters, but swarming gnats. The vanilla-scent “Buggins” repellent seems to work pretty well on them, at least for a while.
    bomber60015 likes this.