1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Makedon

Makedon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m new to ADV/ Gravel riding. I have a small BMW G310GS that I recently got, I would love to join this event, if you guys would allow me to join you. I’m a patient slow rider that likes to see and enjoy the nature, and I’m a big fan of the Driftless area, have done many rides on a SportTourer (Honda CTX1300). Thanks.
    rizzo27 and bomber60015 like this.
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s hot shoes, pokey little puppies, and everything in between in this group. You’ll fit right in!
    Parcero, Gerken and Makedon like this.
  3. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    I ride like an old lady. I think you'll be fine.
    tmark1301cc and Makedon like this.
  4. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a very large mammal on a 250 with Advanced Beginner skills. The mantra is always "Ride YOUR ride"...only go as fast as you feel comfortable. Oh, and "No Front Brake" when slowing for a T intersection with gravel!
    Makedon and bomber60015 like this.
  5. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a Royal Enfield Himalayan. 410 cc, a whopping 24.5 horsepower. (Y’know how some throttles go from “turtle” to “rabbit”? Mine goes from “snail” to “turtle.”) Had a ball last year riding in a group with a KLR650, CRF250-something, and Triumph Tiger 800. Size really doesn’t matter here.
  6. Makedon

Makedon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all of Your responses to my post. Looking forward to attend the event and meeting all of you.
    rizzo27 likes this.
  7. C.John

C.John Epic Ride Report Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'll be there in time for Saturday morning coffee and the opportunity to whine enough to Bomber until he let's me try out his new Himalayan.
    rizzo27 likes this.
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will turn my hearing aids off.

;)
    ldopa_chicago, rizzo27 and C.John like this.
  9. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been a busy week of planting but thought it best to check in with a different kind of field report. Coerced a pair of good friends last weekend to accompany me on a track proofing mission. It was a long day, 300 miles driveway to driveway but we got a lot accomplished. Here is helper 1, we will call him "Desert Boy" proofing a proposed 125 cc track on a borrowed vintage bike. He traveled all the way from Tuscon AZ to spend some time up here riding bikes with me. Great to see you again Fro.

20210418_115336.jpg

Obligatory shot of Krise Road action. Desert Boy mastered the ruts like a boss on a sweet Husky Terra he spied in my garage.

IMG_0066.JPG
    Paul was up next on his first big ADV machine, a cherry 800 Tiger.

IMG_0069.JPG

Hey look, for once a picture of my bike upright on Krise road.

IMG_0067.JPG
    This rutted road was a lot of fun due to exceptionally dry conditions making the trip a breeze. After a rainy spell, grim. Speaking of dry, things can change but the gravel surfaces are dusty, really dusty. Without some moisture close to event weekend better plan on small groups (4 or less) to ease the pain for the poor soul in the back.

Duc's and Tiger's in the wild.

20210424_154129.jpg

Paul is the Tri State areas top machinist. Fro is a whiz engineer designing and building some mind blowing items, some of it medical related. Here the two discuss methods and logistics of how to alter this obstacle to create a more pleasant motorcycle passage. The proper tools, heavy equipment, metallurgy, pins, something about a truss on a pony and stuff way over this farmers head. As you can see I already had my finger pointed and said "lets just find another route that way".

20210424_153918.jpg

We did happen upon not one but two bridge reconstruction projects that will not be completed in time for us to break in. We also found a road on my proposed track that hasn't been a road for a very long time. Also had this great plan to send riders through downtown Galena. Thought it would be cool for muddy, dusty ADV bikes to wave to the mass of tourist shoppers at the end of the day. After an excruciating five block snail pace of congested traffic I found it unwise as I might lose friends over that call. That is why we proof ride. Nothing new about making changes to a track. It's hard to pick a bad road in Jo Daviess County even when you bypass an area. One thing that we did find new was in Elizabeth. A former church building, turned failed steak restaurant is now a brewery. Between breweries in Galena, Pecatonica, Elizabeth and two in Lena, I might have to create a brewpub track but that's for another weekend. Got two more tracks to proof but things are looking good so far.
  10. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got lucky late last year with several dry days that made Krise Road dry and passable, but the ruts were still very deep.

So did you do the "bike limbo" on the pictured bridge, or just ride up for the photo op? We did the "limbo" and called it our workout for the day. About a 45 degree lean was needed.

Krise.JPG

Bridge.JPG
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Dragging and re-lifting my Multistada was going to be a bit much to ask of the others so we passed on any limbo moves but I am happy to see others go un-deterred. I can offer a tip but it is not important how I know this. Obviously making your bike height lower is key but don't bother taking off the windshield. The mirror will give you more trouble, just sayin'.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  12. MarathonMan

MarathonMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to this ride. Coming with my buddy Tom and his Airstream trailer. Got a spot reserved by the head honcho Gerken. Will be riding our little adventure bikes - a Versys X300 and a GS310.

Hopefully we'll have better weather than the last time I attended this event 5 or 6 years ago, when it rained most of the weekend!
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    mooseoffroad_011_3.jpg

Oh yes, the rain year. Those were good times.
    bomber60015 and awarren like this.
  14. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following.
  15. idpete

idpete n00b

Oddometer:
    Just learned about this and looking forward to doing it. I read the entire thread and didn’t see GPX files yet. Am I right that they’re not posted but will be?

By the way, we tried getting an R1200GSA under that blocked bridge last fall at it was a no go. But it was fun to ride around and come from both sides of the bridge.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  16. Gerken

Oddometer:
    You are correct about the lack of posted .gpx files. First I have to check everything out and feel comfy with the end result. I will add the final share tracks on this thread one week ahead of event dates.
    WalterMitty2, idpete and bomber60015 like this.
  17. North60

North60 Norsky adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. North60

North60 Norsky adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot,
    I plan on attending that wkend, think I'll bring my XT225 and tag along :)
    Keithert and Cannonshot like this.
  19. Will_GO!

Will_GO! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks like fun. I pencilled it in my calendar.
  20. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snagged 106. Plan on checking in at 2pm Friday. Happy to help any way I can.