1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 5-6, 2021 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can’t decide if I’d just ride down on a V-Strom for the day, or haul a 450L down on a carrier. :jjen
  2. squirrelstyle

squirrelstyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good time. I've been looking for a long weekend ride that I can make it to for a while now. I always hear great things about the area, but never made it much past I-35. I plan on showing up on friday and heading home on monday. Looking forward to meeting some new folks and riding roads that aren't just a perfect grid!

Drew Horton
    MrAngry and bomber60015 like this.
  3. autox124

autox124 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys
    Is there a rough schedule available? I'd like to make it there Saturday morning and leave with the group on the morning ride.
  4. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s very little formal organization .... folks generally start leaving around 8, and I’d say most who are gonna ride are on the way by 9:30 or so.

smaller groups are preferable, I think, and the people on this ride are friendly.

don’t discount the joy of riding the tracks solo,
    as I have in the past.
  5. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, now it looks like my son has to work that weekend. He is trying to get out of it. I'm still working on some paved routes to share with the non-gravel riders.
    ahung12 and bomber60015 like this.
  6. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, what Bomber very eloquently conveyed. "Rough" is an accurate schedule description. About the only time frame to be concerned with is I hope to have the Saturday evening meal ready around 6 p.m. but I can keep things safe and tasty as late as anyone requires.
    ahung12 and bomber60015 like this.
  7. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know how access at Palace Campgrounds work for "non-stayers"? I'm probably staying in a hotel, but would want to pop in and visit some buddies, as well as say hi to you.

Thanks
  8. Gerken

Oddometer:
    We had a very animated German fellow last year stay at a nearby hotel. He seemed to come and go without issue both on foot and his motorcycle. Be sure to make it to the Saturday evening meal, site 89.
    rizzo27 and WalterMitty2 like this.
  9. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Played hooky one day last week to resume track proofing. The weather has been way too nice to spend time at a real job. First stop was at the recent Veterans Memorial project in Savanna.

IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG

Because the morning light was with me I wanted to get an artsy shot with the new bridge to Sabula in the background. Trouble was there was a very large obstruction in the way so first, we had to do this;

Ah, much better. Once the dust settled I had captured the prize.

IMG_0075.JPG
    A volunteer crew was putting the finishing touches on the facility for a Memorial Day dedication. I learned a lot about the project talking with them. A Savanna Police officer came by to coordinate celebration logistics with the organizers, not to incarcerate me for parking a Ducati on the grass as I feared. One joy in life people should never pass up is having a conversation with a small town law enforcement officer. There is something to be said about the size and personality of a town when calls about roaming deer out number violent crime incidents. For the record, Savanna is home to the only stoplight in all of Carroll County. Yep, 466 square miles and one 4 way intersection stoplight is all they need. Next stop was the former Savanna Army depot, now a business park and home to the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge.

IMG_0082.JPG

If you have never been through the place, it's worth the effort. They have really restricted access to many of the roads over the years but the trip out to the observation deck is all good and quite scenic. It's always fun for me to drive through, try to figure out what each dilapidated building was used for and try to imagine what this property and life within was like during peak production years. I will probably list this as an optional track for both days so you can schedule time allotment.

IMG_0078.JPG

Even in the most random of places you never know what you will find along the road side.

IMG_0083.JPG

Someone from the DNR needs to explain to me the necessity and effectiveness of this newly installed gate.

IMG_0084.JPG
    Extraterrestrial communication apparatus or pagan animal sacrifice temple, you tell me.

IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    Finished the day with a trip through Galena and a visit to Palace Campground. Mini golf is operational and although not out of the question, doubtful the swimming pool will open this year due to COVID protocol.

IMG_0085.JPG
    Just can't seem to get that Friday afternoon track under 100 miles so you have been warned. A meal stop at Thriving Thistle in Apple River is the goal and I know that mileage is a bit much for a quick warm up but I gotta say that track finishes real strong if you like sporty topography. Unconfirmed intel has it that there could be some small bore motorcycle military maneuvers that weekend so just for them I have a shorter track created that will be clear of any high speed State highways, have numerous fuel opportunities and one stretch of lonely sporty pavement (Scout Camp Road) that the group can unleash upon and get frisky with. Something for everyone at Hugellanschaft I say.
    Noodles12, North60, Romet and 7 others like this.
  10. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I have to cancel this time, I have a great site reserved I can transfer to someone else if you’d like it. PM me.

Confirmation #: R000023723
    Reservation made on: Thu, Mar 4, 2021

First day:
    Check In: Fri, Jun 4, 2021
    Time: 2:00 PM

Last day:
    Check Out: Sun, Jun 6, 2021
    Time: 11:00 AM

Site: Site 87
  11. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camping is still open correct. Last time I was there no reservations seemed required
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    tent camping, no reservations needed.

trailer, camper, bus... better call.
    Myll likes this.
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Saturday was a beautiful day to finish up track proofing duty. This time I focused on the Iowa, Wisconsin via Mississippi River ferry and back to Illinois project. Lots of Adventure bikes out that day, some in a few places we probably shouldn't have been in alone after Friday's downpour but hey, that's where the stories come from right? Found a few interesting way points in my travels.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Lots of things to be mindful of in the game of Adventure motorcycling. I always felt that something as simple as knowing the basics are key to survival. But I have a serious tactical and discipline weakness. One of those is I know of too many choice Iowa Level B roads close by that will disappoint me if I don't include them on the track. Full disclosure, conditions after a rain (such as I encountered) make these nuggets of real estate a handful on a large, heavy motorcycle. I was there mid morning and the locals had already made about ten trips through with UTV's and pickups. Ruts, slippery and the clay sticks to tires. You can make it but it will be work and you would serve yourself well by having a group along to assist each other should things turn ugly. But if you like a challenge and sense of victory, wow are they fun particularly on a dry day. I will drop a way point marking each one but if I create a bypass track for each Level B road your screen will look like a plate of spaghetti. So, if you are not "feeling it" that day you will have to hone your skills at finding a way around which should be rather straight forward for them all and that will be part of the weekends adventure.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

I know in the past a lot of riders chose to ride this track on Sunday. Knowing that some wish to make that a shorter day to facilitate the trip home I plan to add a shortcut to divide the 200 mile total length in half. Utilizing the Route 20 bridge at Dubuque, the bottom half will take in all the Iowa Level B roads, the top half the ferry ride and Wisconsin Rustic roads or you can ride the whole thing.

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

Got a lot of stitching to do on the map but I am still on plan to distribute the final tracks next weekend. Looking forward to seeing everyone, should be a lot of fun this year. Tip for the day, when you head down the steep, tree darkened path that is Green Island Hill be sure to take off your sunglasses so you can make out where the rock ledges are. Not really important why I share that specific tidbit with you.
  14. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the 650 considered a "big" bike. Can't wait to wear myself out if it rains then
  15. Gerken

Oddometer:
    In my book, a 650 is not a "big" bike. I could have ridden my 1200 (it's a BIG bike) last Saturday but because of the previous day rain, knew my 650 would be a better option. It also has a little more aggressive tire which makes all the difference in slippery ruts.
    Myll likes this.
  16. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Someone snagged this campsite reservation.

Thanks.
  17. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to finally drop my Africa Twin after 3 years of ownership (said sarcastically) :muutt

Maybe I shouldn't have sold the DR650 last week.
  18. bomber60015

Oddometer:

Boy howdy! Green Island Hill damn near caught me out!
  19. byknphil

byknphil lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I did
    Norsman likes this.
  20. ldopa_chicago

ldopa_chicago Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m very excited for this ride and to meet some inmates and hone my skills. I’ll be on my new-to-me DR650 and I’m bringing buddies on a KLR and an F650GS.