Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 6-7, 2020 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Terry and helpers ... what a wonderful weekend ... thank you for all the hard work!
    Gerken, sieg and ATKinRC like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Terry for creating another great riding opportunity for people! I know you put a lot of time and effort into it. Much appreciated by many in the riding community. :thumb
  3. shortbritches

shortbritches Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Terry , thanks for putting this together,had a great time.Beautiful area! Got to meet up with past friends and meet new ones.
    vfrpilot and Gerken like this.
  4. RMZMZM

RMZMZM Not adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to 2nd the thanks to Terry and helpers. It was a beautiful weekend, good people, good times.

I have to also thank Bomber for pointing me to this and the opportunity to meet some of you in meat space. I look forward to meeting more of next time!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  5. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    2020 has been doing its best to stop us all from normalcy. But despite virus, murder hornets, closures of every degree, civil unrest, the passing of John Prine and the use of dicamba on my soybeans suddenly illegal, Hugellandschaft went off with overwhelming success. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I really needed this diversion from life’s issues. We had fantastic weather all weekend and the change in campground location worked out way better than anticipated. The staff at Palace Campground deserves a hand clap for the measures taken to so graciously accommodate our group. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the regulars every year and we really need to get together more often. One of the highlights each year is seeing new faces and Adventure riding first timers. You would be hard pressed to find a more outgoing, helpful band of riders to group up with and learn from. The report from the field seemed favorable for the tracks and I learned a new trick that anyone who creates routes can use. If you have an optional track on your list that you really think people should take the time to ride just attach the word “Lawless” to the label because despite repeated legalities conveyed I think everyone took my Lawless option. I was excited to see a lot of pictures and reports of the scenic waypoints. Glad to know riders are taking time to admire the gems the area has to offer. I have lots of cherished memories and stories of the weekend that could be a whole thread on its own. I think everyone got a kick from hanging with our new friend Sven. He moved here from Germany in 1995, is a fascinating hoot to be around, knew in an instant what “Hugellandschaft" meant, corrected my less than authentic German sign, rides an Italian motorcycle and drinks PBR because, and I quote, “I really like it”. Let’s hope Germany never reads this thread because my guess is if the home land finds out about this they will un-stamp his passport. The Chicago crew with Polish and Lithuanian roots kept me well fed Friday evening with real deal Polish sausages, the tastiest pickled mushrooms eva’, some giggle juice from Tennessee packaged in a paint thinner can and oh so many stories. Thanks to them my 410 day streak of online Spanish lessons was shattered as I hit the trailer at 12:04 a.m. Two words for next year Jack and Albert, brown mustard. So many thanks to pass along and I will forget something but here it is; Big thanks to Dale at Driftless Road Adventures for his paved routes, GPS assistance, campsite neighbor and tour guide service. Bomber proofed a track I did not have time for so big shout out to him for putting in a grueling day riding Jo Daviess County for everyone’s enjoyment. A big hug to Doctor Zed at Latitude Graphics and artwork by Bonebag for the slammin stickers. BBQ pit boss Ray Ray was a major burden lifted for me keeping fire in my $20 Wal Mart grill and cooking pork. Kudos to everyone who donated food, beverage, assistance and negotiable securities for the collective as well as personal effort. You people rock. We had a campfire Saturday night but I think I left with more fire wood than I arrived with. Thanks to all the glaciers that missed the area to create a special place to ride a motorcycle. Furry canine friends Diesel and Piper should be mentioned also for being kind enough to bring their respective owners Sue and Wendy. Turns out dogs can be Adventure passengers with the right equipment. Finally to everyone who humors, thanks and appreciates my efforts, you are all priceless. This whole game of motorcycling has blessed me on so many levels and this is my avenue to give back. Will it be back next year? Oh heck yea. I had to ride alone on Sunday so I spent the day scouting for 2021. Ride safely everyone and enjoy a few photos from Saturday.

IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    stick.jpg

My inconclusive data extrapolation determined that this sticker choice was the more popular of choices.

IMG_0048.JPG

[​IMG]
  6. engineman

engineman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'd have know the stickers were that cool I'd have skipped out on the anniversary celebration with my wife and made the ride instead:D
  7. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    There's always next year:deal
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  8. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    @Gerken ... I’m sure you know this, but the tracks you put together provide many with joy through the year, not just on the appointed weekend.

This year’s Hugellandschaft was my bust out of shelter in place event ... there couldn’t have been a better way to start riding!

Thanks!
    psycho klr, kleinergti1 and ATKinRC like this.
  9. Sven Asmus

Sven Asmus n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a weekend!

A big thank you to Terry and Dale (and the secret helpers) for putting this together, I don't remember having that much fun doing something legal.
    You guys spent so much time and effort to put this together and it clearly showed that it was a labor of love.
    Happy to have met so many likeminded people, good to know that we are not alone.
    The rides were spectacular on pavement and off, I had great polish brats with the proper mustard Friday evening courtesy of my new friends back from my old homeland (well a little East of it anyway) and the Saturday barbecue rocked. For the record, PBR is not what I have in the fridge at home but it was the best choice at the gas station and I ran with it.
    Great to meet the St.Louis contingent, Dave, JD ..... Thank you for being patient with me until I found my groove (sort of anyway) on my new to me bike.
    Ben Zatek, we will ride together again for sure and Dave Floyd who is already planning something. Nice to meet Piper and her humans, that dog sure knows how to see the world.
    And seeing everyone come together Friday night to get the trailer of that F-150 was hilarious. Never saw so many flash lights, toolkits and engineers at work.
    At the end, the Viking fix did the trick (a few taps with an axe) and his weekend could begin.
    I proudly changed my Avatar to show what a happy man looks like after a weekend of playing in the dirt with other children. And yes, that is the clean side :-)))

I live in Schererville IN just across the border when you come south on I-90 or I-294 from Chicago. Happy to offer my garden as a way station for a ride in MI or somewhere else.
    We can cook out and the beer will be much better, promise!! Save my cell number and text me your contact info so we can stay in touch 630-699-0900.

Danke schoen!

Sven
    Romet, kleinergti1, rizzo27 and 2 others like this.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must guiltily raise my hand and confess I did not take the Lawless option. I will blame that on John, fearless leader of the pokey lil puppies group, who seemed to get slightly misplaced relative to the route coming out of Elizabeth. Luckily, I know where it is, and am already planning a ride up to Pikes Peak (the one in Iowa) next week. Might also run a bit of the Sunday route, which I had to miss because I needed to be home to supervise putting my pier in the river. Also didn't manage to get to the Slurp 'n' Burp, but plan to remedy that for lunch tomorrow.

Wanna chime in with thanks to all who worked on this event. This was my first time (cue shouts of "virgin! Virgin!") but almost certainly won't be my last. I had a ball, swallowed enough dust to assure my recommended allowance of minerals (I need a new air filter--not for the bike, but for my lungs), and saw a lot of pretty scenery (some of it artificial, but this is Illinois; you take what you can get). Plus I met some new friends, including one very friendly little dog. All in all a great time!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. spcavanah

spcavanah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride again this year. Thank you so much Terry (and others) for putting it together. IMG_0099.jpg IMG_0105.jpg
  12. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly I work in in the food packaging industry and have concerns about bringing the virus into our facility so I am still social distancing and thus missed the event. I had made the reservation at Blandings and did intend to go. I have ridden much of the routes used. I don't feel like I missed much there. But I would have really enjoyed meeting the fellow riders! Hopefully next year I will get the chance to meet some of you! Looks like i missed a good time. Who has the camp pictures? Somebody has to have a crash picture somewhere? Glad ya'all had a good time!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    I was not made aware of any crashing on the tracks other than the poor gentleman who didn't even make it to camp before he went down and broke a collarbone and thumb. Hope you are healing well young man. Camp pictures you say? There may have been some liberties taken with CDC guidelines (not sure what they are exactly) so photographic evidence was discouraged. Pictures never bring out the true experience so best to make attendance plans for next year to enjoy the frivolity.
    shortbritches, ATKinRC, Romet and 2 others like this.
  14. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry, thank you for all you do. And thanks for showing me the proper way to camp!!
    ATKinRC and bomber60015 like this.
  15. KINGofQUEENS

KINGofQUEENS n00b

Oddometer:
    Quick question. We didn't get a chance to make it out for this year's ride but Im gonna try and hit the highlights tomorrow only for the day. If you had to pick a section to do what do you guys recommend? Sadly I only have Friday to ride. Hopefully we'll get to make next year's weekend.

Thank you.
  16. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Saturday had a lil bit less pavement than the Sunday track ... if you’re coming from the East, pick up the Friday track into Galena.
  17. Gerken

Oddometer:
    I think any one or all the D1 (Day 1) tracks has the most varied terrain and more interesting way points to visit. It will should be easy to shorten the day by getting a good overall view of the tracks and finding a suitable point to cut out. Good luck and enjoy, should be an awesome weather day to ride.
  18. KINGofQUEENS

KINGofQUEENS n00b

Oddometer:
    Having a Blast on one of the Day 1 routes. Picked it up near Pearl City and made our way to the Rough Road skull section. Had to turn around 2/3 of the way down the Rocky Road due to irrigation pipes we couldn't get over. Found a bit of mud there as well.

I sure hope I get the time off to come out for next year's ride the roads are just FANTASTIC for Illinois!

Attached Files:

masegraves, bomber60015 and Myll like this.