Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride June 6-7, 2020 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sadly this is a different Level B thoroughfare. The road you speak of was on the way to Bluff Lake for catfish. My relationship with your wife has never quite been the same since that incident, thanks for the painful reminder. When you agree to follow me you should assume it won't be easy but it will be worth it.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  2. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just saw this, looks like a cool event and I love the riding around galena. I may be able to attend. Looks like the dual sport track is at worst double track? If it's dry I can do that on my bike (street)
  3. Gerken

Oddometer:
    You are correct on surface conditions and tire choice. I will have a bypass option for anything questionable for a wet day.
  4. TEX120065

TEX120065 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone from Indiana going on the ride?
  5. Zephyr20

Zephyr20 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live about 12 miles from the campground. Would it be possible for me to meet the group at the campground Saturday morning prior to departure and do the Saturday ride? Unfortunately, I have to work on Sunday. Thanks
  6. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Not only possible but highly recommended to others as well. Mingle around the site 89 area (10 people max social distance rule) sometime near that 8 a.m. time frame and you are sure to find a group to tag along with or better yet form one. Saturday evening meal is still on so try not to miss that as well as an ultra cool Zeddy made sticker.
  7. Zephyr20

Zephyr20 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gerken, I look forward to it!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  8. studio1551

studio1551 n00b

Oddometer:
    Re restrictions in places to eat...Crooked Roof in Lanark has a decent sized outdoor area and will be opening that on June 1. If that helps logistically.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  9. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Rainy day event preparations. Applying a little culinary fairy dust to Saturday evenings entree.

[​IMG]

Next up, BACON!!
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

And here I felt all productive and stuff changing the oil in the KLR ....

CAN’T WAIT!
  11. Gerken

Oddometer:
    In the past I have heard riders getting back to camp at 2 p.m. This is your ride so enjoy it anyway you wish but obviously those people rode right past most of the way points listed on the tracks. Perhaps if those are touched on it will pique more interest for a stop. I feel like I have posted about every picture I have so rather than needlessly fill server space I will let web links do the ‘splainin for me. Day 1 track as follows.

Most every man-made lake or reservoir will have a spillway. You get to ride by two today and this is the first; Thunder Bay Falls

It is on an out and back track and I cannot tell you exactly where it is, but you will be extremely near this; Ably House Story

Jamie might not be open early in the day but shortly thereafter you will cross the rail tracks near; Council Hill Station

Oh, look another spillway; Apple Canyon Lake

In the tiny town of Elizabeth you will find an important piece of town history; Apple River Fort

If you need a stretch and are up for a hike; Shurmeier Learning Forest

Abe Lincoln spent a summer here; Blackhawk Battlefield Park

As a rule, I do not recommend a particular eatery/drinkery but this out of the way place will make you feel welcome and if you play really nice, they may offer one of their coveted stickers; Slurp and Burp

Crazy Jim won’t be open, and you would not have time for a tour regardless but to get a handle on something truly indescribable try to get a lap through the parking lot here; Raven’s Grin

It’s a fun ride through the park and this bluff view is rather spectacular; Palisades State Park

Nice ride through a former munitions’ depot and out to a scenic spot in the sand dunes. OK so this is a high school project video, but the kids did alright; Savanna Army Depot

It will be near the end of the day but don’t pass up this spot to see a great view of Galena and the surrounding countryside; Horseshoe Mound Preserve

Day 2 track

No need to stop here but this link will answer the question you most certainly will have as you approach, “What is this place” Sinsinawa Mound

A picture by the giant beer can might be fun; Potosi Brewery

This is a sporty ride out to a quiet spot along the Mississippi River. You can angle the telescope there to get a better view of a mansion on the Iowa side also. Not important how I know; Potosi Point Recreation Area

Then there is the boat ride; Cassville Ferry

In Iowa there is a nice valley scenic area; Balltown Overlook and Iowa’s oldest restaurant that makes a kickin’ pork tenderloin; Breitbachs Dining

Always worth a stop is the Julien Dubuque Monument overlook at; Mines of Spain Park

Bellevue State Park has a twisty ride up a bluff to another river vista overlooking Lock and Dam 12.

You will go by this DNR site but the insect infested (and a snake or two) ¾ mile hike will keep all but the most intense rail buffs away from the tunnel itself. Still, it is an interesting historical story; Winston Tunnel

Now you have no need for me to lead your group, just follow along with this post. Good luck everyone and be safe!
    William42, FishyMoto and sieg like this.
  12. FishyMoto

FishyMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to read about some of the stops, I think it will make them more enjoyable knowing some info/history for sure. When should we expect the tracks to be uploaded?
    ATKinRC and bomber60015 like this.
  13. Gerken

Oddometer:
    The goal is this Sunday evening for track posting. It appears that north of the ferry received significant rainfall as of late so I want to be sure the ferry as well as a few suspect roads are a green light before track availability. Hope you understand.
    sieg likes this.
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yer a major dude, sir! Thanks for all you do!
  15. FishyMoto

FishyMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely understand, just curious. I have been riding this area quite a bit from Lansing to Sabula ever since I discovered this ride last year (first "group ride" ever actually) and you are at the mercy of the river no doubt. After enjoying last years ride so much I ended up with a Vstrom. Much more comfortable than my DRZ400 that I rode from Cedar Rapids last year :lol3

Anyway...Really looking forward to some good riding and great people next weekend.
    bomber60015 and ATKinRC like this.
  16. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just found out today that the Palace Campground restrooms will definitely be open for our visit (with special cleaning protocols in place). So no need to bring any extra Bomber Bottles unless you are trying to save steps in the middle of the night.

The news just keeps getting better and better. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there!!

Dale
    bomber60015, sieg and ATKinRC like this.
  17. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've camped at the Grant River (Corps of Engineers) site in Potosi any number of times (the place gets quite crazy the Friday night before the annual Brew Fest, as many of the brewers stay in the campground, creating a sort of "fest before the fest"), and sunset from Potosi Point was sort of a regular thing. Yes, the ride is short but sporty, especially after sundown! Knew about the telescope and used it many times, but was unaware of its potential for voyeurism.

Public service announcement: do not confuse Potosi Point
    PotosiPoint.JPG

...with a Potosi Pint.
    PotosiPint.JPG

They are different things.
  18. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Since camp got moved to Galena this would be a good chance to explore a few spots around town if you are looking for something to do beyond hanging at the campground. There is plenty to see but I shall attempt to cater to the ADV demographic. I could clog the forum with my own photos but instead just provide some links that will better tell each story. Obviously, CDC guidelines and whatever Phaser setting Comrade Pritzker has mandated is going to affect access to many places so keep that in mind.

Galena of course was home to Ulysses Grant. Grant’s Home is available for tours and if you do not feel like paying the entry fee it is worth a walk around the area as the period style buildings are well maintained.

The Galena River makes for a good walk and the town has made it easy with pedestrian bridges, a multi-use path and a genuinely nice park. Grant Park

I try to stay away from downtown Galena, but I must admit if time allows it is hard to not take in a few free samples at Great American Popcorn or The Galena Canning Company

If you like a trip back in time or just playing with fire, bending and beating metal with hammers then check out The Old Blacksmith Shop

If a walk around trippy art made from scrap metal is your thing then West Street Sculpture Park is a must see.

Finally, although I am not trying to encourage such behavior, like a lot of trendy Midwest towns Galena has its own microbrewery, Galena Brewing Company and distillery, Blaum Brothers Distilling Company

This should keep everyone busy and give every interest some options.
    Romet likes this.
  19. freetime

freetime misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Most of main street Galena is now closed to traffic and parking. Outdoor dining has taken over for now. IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1214.jpg IMG_1215.jpg
    masegraves likes this.
  20. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Here are the tracks for this weekend. I strongly urge everyone to view the big picture on Base Camp or some other application to help better understand flow. Getting in and out of camp has overlap so it is recommended to show only one track or at minimum one days track to avoid confusion. You will be using a few roads both ways (each lane) so be wary of that as well. Day 1 is 237 miles if you ride it all and Day 2, 190 miles. Day 1 can be easily shortcut in many places if you feel the need to make time. Friday's loop is 93 miles. Day 1 has an optional hero stretch than when wet is one mile of challenge. Day 2 has an optional go around for a road that could also be a workout if moderate rainfall precedes. The Cassville Ferry is $8, cash only, preferably exact change. I only post tracks and if you need routes but can't convert these, then start a conversation with me and I can help out. Both Dale and I will have laptops at camp to load your device as well. Day 1 lunch options are in the town of Elizabeth and the Slurp and Burp is 80 miles by track from Elizabeth. Day 2 lunch options are in Cassville Wisconsin (Town Pump is open) or Breitbachs in Balltown Iowa. PLEASE be careful. They may seem lonely but many roads will have traffic, in particular local hill folk who are used to no motorcycles on their road. This is livestock country and the weekend is probably going to coincide with first forage cutting so be wary of farm equipment and as always the lone Elizabeth police officer has zero tolerance for hooliganism. Tracks are also on page one of this thread. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

psycho klr, FishyMoto, sieg and 2 others like this.