1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride May 30-31, 2020 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure is always calling. The question is, will you go? Your chance has arrived as the annual experiment in intentional disorganization is back on the schedule. The Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride will be held May 30-31, 2020. Basecamp will again be at the Corps of Engineers campground Blanding Landing on the banks of the Mississippi River near Hanover Illinois. This is a two-day big bike friendly adventure ride encompassing numerous gravel, dirt and paved roads in Northwest Illinois, the bluffs of Iowa and Southwest Wisconsin. Many sights to take in, sporty pavement, water crossings, a ferry ride, elevation changes, rivers, lakes and awesome people. Last year I had access to a short stretch of off-road private property in Illinois that got washed away so it was deleted from the track. This year I am hopeful the weather will cooperate and we will get to ride it. A gracious individual in Iowa has offered up another private trail option so if things work out there will be some true off road each day. Mileage for each day will be in the 180 – 200 mile area with plenty of chances to take in some majestic bluff views, sleepy small towns, rural oddities, historical significance, pleasant scenery and photo worthy moments. Tracks will be posted here as time draws closer. A free Saturday evening meal at the campground will be provided sponsored by our good friend Johnny Moto at Motoworks Chicago. Johnny is the guy who wadded a rain jacket in his rear sprocket last year and left an 80-foot-long darkie on Loran Road. Be sure to ask him about the incident, he has video. Johnny also brings a few customers who wish to ride pavement only and he has enlisted the talents of Dale at Driftless Road Adventures to assemble a route for those who wish not to be on gravel. All three of us share resources this weekend so feel free to ride your preference and hang at the campground regardless. I’m sure he will chime in but you can learn more about Dale’s plan at his site; Driftless Road Adventures or Motoworks Chicago You are in charge of making your own campground reservations which can be done here; Blanding Landing Camp The campground has water, restroom with showers and most sites have electrical service. Be aware that this is not a large facility so if you wait till the week before to make a reservation chances are good it will be full. We filled the park last year but site host Charlotte was good about letting others share their site space with walk ups. Keep this in mind as there will be room, but you will have to sweet talk a camper into sharing and others should be aware of this and be generous. Every electrical site is very roomy, plenty of space for others with tents and/or single vehicles. Also be aware that the freight train track is next door, I mean right next door. Trust me, you get used to dealing with it but if you know it will be intolerable, other lodging plans will have to be made. Galena has a campground in town that won’t have trains but will have the parking lot lights of Wal-Mart to annoy you. If you are not a camper then closest lodging is Chestnut Mountain Resort where Johnny and his crew stay. There are a few hotels in the Galena/Elizabeth area also, let Google be your guide but note that most of these options are going to be a good distance from Blanding campground. The campground is far away from any services so plan your ice and provisions accordingly and finally if you have a large trailer or tall motorhome do not attempt to access the campground on Diggin Hill Road. That is a death wish my friend and Charlotte has many stories to back me up on that. There will be coffee somewhere in the campground Saturday and Sunday morning, I will have plenty of cold water at the shelter but adult beverage distribution subjects me to issues I wish to avoid so bring your own giggle juice. You have certainly read of similar events on this forum and Hugellandschaft is no different but I will highlight the obvious. This is a self-guided event so you are responsible for navigation. If you have no means to accomplish this then buddy up with another rider or group as everyone is happy to help. There will be two days of tracks and it matters none what track you ride on a given day but please keep with the direction of each track so we don’t have a head on collision. Motorcycles are dangerous but I know a guy who choked on a cocktail weenie last week so turns out anything can kill you. Keep that in the forefront, be safe, wear all the gear you have, follow the law, think and if by chance something ugly happens we will do what we can but that’s your bad and we all hope you have adequate insurance. The roads are not as lonely as one might think so don’t get a confident feeling that there will be no traffic on that sweeper you are hanging it out on. Hazards are everywhere and are too numerous for me to list so just be cautious. Please respect the locals and their businesses, the campers and campground policy and of course mankind in general. This is a gathering of like-minded individuals for the sole purpose of having fun. Nothing more is implied and as always there is no fee. Here is a link to last years ride to get a handle on what happens; 2019 Hope to see a smiling group of riders this May and rather that clog up web space with a lot of photo’s, here is a low budget under produced video of archived pictures.

2. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry, thanks for starting this thread and thanks for mentioning our website.

We had a great time last year including our climb to the highest natural point in Illinois.

This year's paved route will take us to the world's largest "M".

The countdown has begun!!
    rizzo27 likes this.
  3. johngault

johngault Leaning into it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got this in my Calendar. It looks like a great riding area.
  4. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  6. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    On the calendar!
    Culdesac Cowboy and Bultaco206 like this.
  7. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry, I thought I would fill in a couple of details about my plans I have for the paved rides.

On Saturday I have a 140 mile route planned that goes north to see some neat things and ride some cool roads in Wisconsin. Always subject to change, but the plan right now is to hit Dickeyville, Potosi, lunch in Platteville, plus a few surprises I have up my sleeve.

On Sunday I have a shorter route planned, just over 100 miles, to see some of the nice sight in Illinois with a lunch at the Slurp and Burp.

I'm also going to create an optional route that goes through Casseville and over the ferry in case the river cooperates this year.

I know that most of the people on this thread will be riding the dual sport routes, but if anyone has any questions about the paved route plans, they can as ask me here.
    rizzo27 and William42 like this.
  8. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks like a lot of fun. Thank you for organizing. Not so sure I can make it this year, but I'll try
  9. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every year I get the request for navigation instruction or requests for how to best utilize GPS equipment. The questions come from all angles. Creating the track, tracks versus routes, displaying on the device, storing/loading/transferring/sharing tracks all the way down to device and mapping recommendations. While the organizers of this gathering have discussed a formal enlightenment session at the campground one night, we felt that a group with diverse levels of experience could be better served by spending time with a few recommended online resources. This will give those who are interested a much better educational experience, the chance to study at your leisure and evenings at the campground can be spent doing, well, other more enjoyable things. While there is a dizzying array of resources we have culled a few favorites as follows. Most of these are focused on Garmin products and their mapping program Base Camp.

GPS Files This is from is a retired Army Colonel who probably knows more about navigation than Garmin

Obviously ADV Rider has numerous threads you can select ala carte;
    GPS 101 Base Camp Tutorial Route Building

Visualizer A nice utility for converting and viewing various files

The Global educator that is You Tube is ripe with choices, here is a very small sampling;

GPS Series; This is from our own inmate and faithful Hugellandschaft attendee Dave who for reasons unknown dislikes bridges over Apple River. He did a great video job and touches on the growing use of phones as navigation devices.

Touratech Classes; Touratech and the BDR crew did a nice job on specific devices.

Route Creation; This gentleman explains a few tips in an easy to digest manner

I know Base Camp and Garmin products have their issues but I think they get a bad rap. Base Camp in particular for being less than intuitive. Like anything, just take the time to study and learn. I have a Montana unit that is closing in on 20000 miles and has yet to flinch. Hail, snow, epic rain, dust, Moab pounding, voltage spikes, underwater and sunny 105 degree Tuscon heat. I can always see it in the sun and use it with gloves on, just sayin'. I realize the phone is going to take over soon. I have been playing with them and there are some solid choices out there but I hesitate to make any recommendations for lack of knowledge. Dale likes the Kurviger app, I have dabbled with OSMAND and Motion-X. When choosing any system the important questions to ask are; "What do I want to accomplish with it" and "How will I use it". Some solutions are more simple than one thinks. Both Dale and I will be around the campground to answer any questions, load a device or help out. If you have any further thoughts please start a conversation with me rather than a reply on this thread. Lets try to keep the Hugellandschaft thread about the event and not a GPS discussion.
  10. JRath88

JRath88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good day all! Just thinking warm thoughts and missing the days on the trusty steed. Was in the area of Blanding many times towards the end of this last season, even back on January 9th when we seen our last 50 degree day. That sunset over the ice was neat, but no way was camping going to happen. I also have been trying several different earplug styles...for those lovely trains.

I am no help on the camping options, but may have an in on an area for some off-road options along the route. Hopefully it's a much dryer year!!

Not sure why these won't post as thumbs and open to the cleaner views?? Click for quality

IMG_20200109_193657_423.jpg IMG_20200109_183908_876.jpg 1125191342a_HDR.jpg IMG_20190827_195448_124.jpg 0601190632_HDR.jpg
    rizzo27, William42 and bomber60015 like this.
  11. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden much of that area out there. This sounds like a good excuse to get back out there and do a little camping as well.
    Daleah likes this.
  12. Layton

Layton Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gerken, you do realize that you will still get lots of questions because many riders want to know how to use the gps without really understanding it and reading all that.

Very good information there by the way.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    A paragraph or two couldn't hurt.
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    In.

I’ll bring some Spotted cow and a flask.

However, I ain’t leading any newbs this year.
  15. C.John

C.John Epic Ride Report Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hoping to make an appearance after missing last year's.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  16. Mad Jack

Mad Jack TOYS IN THE ATTIC

Oddometer:
    Bomber sorry for your luck last year on Saturday. We met in the parking lot when the newbie wearing the dress boots decided he wanted to ride with you instead of us.? Then we were on the scene when he flopped in the gravel. Hope we assisted enough, didn't leave till you said you had it under control. That dude was nice enough but needs way more seat time. His bike skills was zero.
    From the looks of the dates doubt I'll be attending this year. Enjoy!
    Roost On
    Mad Jack
  17. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Jack ... no worries, sir ... it was handled quickly and professionally by the county ambulance and sheriff’s deputies, and a
    Buncha other riders. I’ll admit that watching it unfold in my mirror rattled me a bit , but I’m looking forward to this years ride! Sorry you won’t be there.
  18. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    Also, let me add that I’ve been on the receiving end of help a number of times ... it’s one of the thing I love about riding ... riders are the best people!
  19. awarren

awarren Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to miss it this year, hope you guys have a great ride and nice weather!
  20. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m planning on making this trip.