1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride May 30-31, 2020 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 1, 2020.

1. JRath88

JRath88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well hello neighbor (booked #4 this week). Hoping earplugs help...somewhat.
  2. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was wondering what you all did for breakfast. since i'm camping this year i need to sort a lot of things out.
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s a joint in Hanover that’s aces for breakfast!
  4. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out. I rarely miss a meal. most of my rides are planned around where i'm going to eat :clap
    ATKinRC, JRath88 and bomber60015 like this.
  5. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    I heard there were going to be awesome stickers for this years ride...
    Gerken and TimCC like this.
  6. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got site #23.

Really looking forward to this. Camping for the first time in several years.
    JRath88 and bomber60015 like this.
  7. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna throw my helmet into the ring, and volunteer to lead a group of newbs/pokey lil puppy riders ... we’ve all been helped along the way ...
    Romet and JRath88 like this.
  8. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bomber do you want a dual sport group or a paved group? or do you care?

Last year we had 13-14 bikes on the paved ride and that is just a bit bigger than I would like. we also had a wide range of bikes from 250s to 1200s.

I really have no idea of course how many will want paved this year. And if you prefer dual sport, I'm sure there will be a few others along to help lead the paved.

My guess is that the dual sport riders prefer to go in much smaller groups, so you might need more leaders for dual sport.

Dale
  9. bomber60015

Oddometer:

My plan was to ride my KLR on Terry’s route. That kinda riding does really do better with smaller groups (shorter sight lines, iffy traction) ... but, that said, there was all of one taker last year (dual sport), so the need may not be there. If you get jammed up, I can ride my Tiger, and suffer on the best pavement within a day’s ride of my house. Sigh. The sacrifices I make.

;)
    ATKinRC likes this.
  10. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, no worries. Plan on your KLR. I'm sure that we will be fine.

I'll be a little better prepared this year in terms of getting the routes distributed ahead of time as well as bringing my computer to help people download the routes that weekend.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I moved some posts that were mistakenly put into last year's thread into this thread. I'll temporarily lock the other thread for a while until it drops down out of sight so we don't have anymore confusion with it.
    Gerken, rizzo27, Romet and 5 others like this.
  12. ATKinRC

ATKinRC Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    20+ years on 600 and under thumpers. Sold my Husky 450 last August and promptly got a '15 Tiger 800xcx. Spent the rest of the riding year wearing out the street tires that were on it. I am ready for some dirt and some camping!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I probably qualify by at least one (and possibly all) of those criteria...

Not to mention that if I "navigate" by following somebody else, I don't have to wrestle with the incompatibilities of GPS and GPX file sharing. One of those things that should be simple and intuitive but somehow isn't in practice.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  14. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes, I agree, the GPS thing should be much easier. I have my GPS system pretty well down, but I still run into problems from time to time.

Lately, i have been experimenting with phone gps/navigation apps because a lot of people are going in that direction, and it seems like they much more difficult to work with (at least what I want).

I try to get around the GPS compatibility issues by adding in lots of hidden waypoints. It seems to work well for my GPS, but there are still some things that can throw me off if they are not set right.

However, when it comes to phone apps, they treat waypoints totally different, depending on the App. I have a couple that I feel a little better about than others, but I'm still testing. I'll be testing a lot more when I can ride. :freaky
  15. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss the days when routes were on paper tape!

I’d consider buying a used Garmin. There are lots of them in the $20-30 range on Facebook Marketplace, but most of them are Nüvis, which I’ve read can’t import GPX tracks.
  16. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that some Nuvi's can import. I think if it can take an SD card, it can import files. I used to use a Nuvi before I got my Nav V.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Bring back roll charts and odometers!
  18. Layton

Layton Long timer

Oddometer:
    When did they go away?
  19. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last fall I bought a used Garmin eTrex 20x off eBay for $100. Spent $60 putting City Navigator on it. I’m not very proficient with loading tracks to it. But, I managed to get it done before Adventurepalooza. All in all, I’m satisfied with it. It seems rugged enough for adventuring.
  20. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I hope to make it to this , but I can NOT plan ahead. If I do I'll just show up and someone hopefully will let me pitch my tent. If not I'll just move along.
    masegraves likes this.