1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride May 30-31, 2020 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    There were a lot of people who used this plan last year and it worked out well. The sites are large and most everyone was generous and accommodating.
    eemsreno and bomber60015 like this.
  2. Gerken

Oddometer:
    The GPS thing will come to you, just stick with it. I'm sure your first home brew project had a learning curve also. You got this.
  3. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the assist. A new ADV Rider milestone for me, my first thread that required Moderator intervention. Just to be clear, I am the threads original poster and event man in charge. Johnny and his crew are simply a group within the event. Since he has had a few people ask for a paved only route, Dale has agreed to create that and share on this weekend. Johnny has offered sponsorship for meals entirely on his own behalf, no affiliation with his or any business. A simple grass roots olive branch extension. That is Hugellandschafts core principle. People helping and encouraging others all the while trying to keep it simple. Let's not try to read anything different into it. Here is the formula: Come camp by the river, ride a GPS track through some entertaining and scenic country, meet new people, learn new things, forge new relationships, stuff yourself with complimentary food and create a memory.
    enduro16, reedski, Romet and 4 others like this.
  4. Gerken

Oddometer:
    That's the spirit. Bomber is a good man, one of the few I trade recipes with.
  5. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Ya don't say. Funny thing is I heard the same rumor. I got the Midwest's top guns on sticker creation so prepare to be wowed people.
    Romet, bomber60015 and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:
    They didn’t.
  7. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:

Whoa ... high praise ... thank you sir!
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My problem with navigation systems is more philosophical than practical. Far as I can tell, every GPS/navigation system is based on the assumption that you just want the machine to take you to your destination and don't care how. What we want to do with it--plan, record, and/or share our meandering, indirect paths is pretty much the definition of "intentional misuse." Hence all the gyrations we have to go through, recording breadcrumb tracks, inserting enough waypoints to force the route-optimizing algorithms down the scenic dirt road instead of the four-lane, dealing with different interpretations by different vendors or products. It sucks, but it's what we get for using devices that were designed to get us from A to B by the most direct/efficient/quick route. In a better world, there would be an app that just lets us record our turns and play them back.

But this rapidly becomes a discussion better suited to the campfire with a Moon Man (if I can get it) or Spotted Cow (if I can't) in one's hand. In the shorter term, I'd just like a formula for this weekend: use this device and/or that app, follow these steps and the Magic Line will appear on your screen. Because I'm lazy.
  9. bomber60015

Oddometer:

Scott .... sounds like a great campfire discussion ... t
    Btw, another way to use a gps is to see if that gravel track to your right goes all the way through, and then take it. Just as if it were a map ...still another way is to leave it off til the sun started to go down, then boot the lil dear up and follow it home ;)
    Dangeross likes this.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Magic Earth (an OSM-using stand-alone GPS app) on my iPhone, and that’s one of the things I use it for. Another is determining which of the six roads meeting in the middle of nowhere (of which only four appear on my paper map) is the one I want. Not to mention verifying that I’m on the road I think I’m on when the description doesn’t match what I’m seeing. All handy. What I don’t use it for is trying to plan and ride the day’s journey, because something always goes wrong... And Magic Earth has no export/import capabilities at all...
    bomber60015 likes this.
  11. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got campsite #3 booked!
    bomber60015 likes this.
  12. Tigerhawk

Tigerhawk Twin dad.

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Booked site #6.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two of us in on Site #10
  14. Gerken

Oddometer:
    The big brown truck dropped off a hefty box from the fine folks at Latitude Graphics in Cross Plains Wisconsin yesterday. (insert shameless plug bell here...ding....ding...) When Dr. Zed handles your project, he delivers. The new stickers are flat out stellar. He enlisted the services of the master himself Bonebag, you know, the guy who handles all the Central Adventure Rally artwork. That should clue you into how stellar. Kind of a dream realized for me as I have always admired his, shall we say, dementia. I bet you want to see a sample right? Well no problem, just show up at Blanding campground the weekend of May 29-31 and not only can you view the selection but you get to take one home. Deal? Big wet doggy kisses to Geoff and Adam for such fine work. I love when a plan comes together.
    Doctor Zed, Romet, ATKinRC and 4 others like this.
  15. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there are Zed stickers then I might just have to head down there.
    Doctor Zed likes this.
  16. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. Midwesterner

Midwesterner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I just booked site #8. We're planning on doing the off-road routes. But both GSs are currently wearing street tires, so we'll divert to the paved roads if it's wet and muddy.
  18. clappedoutrider

clappedoutrider n00b

Oddometer:
    How would I fare on a KTM 530?
  19. bomber60015

Oddometer:
    just fine!
  20. ATKinRC

ATKinRC Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, I will be arriving Saturday morning and have a tent site for Saturday night. Will there a check in area on Saturday? Also will the gps tracks upload to my zumo? Should I bring my old garmin 76?
    Just put on some new Tractionators so I will be looking forward to some dirt!
    20200223_150337.jpg
    Midwesterner likes this.