Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride May 31-June 2, 2019 NW Illinois

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Gerken, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Life is one long sweet song so let the music begin. Yes, once again the Hugellandschaft Adventure ride in Northwest Illinois is alive so mark your calendars for the weekend of May 31 – June 2, 2019. This is an ever-evolving labor of love for me so for those who have attended in the past this year’s route will have a different twist on familiar territory plus some all new areas to ride that will encompass three states. I am going back to a two day ride this year so both Saturday and Sunday’s track will cover around 200 miles each. This should allow ample time to check out the waypoints listed (please do, they are included for a reason) and here is a teaser for a new one on Sunday’s track. Monument Kickin around the idea of a breakfast gathering at The Summit in nearby Chestnut Mountain Resort on Saturday. Great views and eats but I don’t want people to get behind because of the 8 am opening. I will do some research and ponder this idea. Lots of sporty pavement, gravel roads, elevation changes, monuments, bison, geological wonders, Wisconsin rustic roads, waterfalls, marine navigation and because of pressure from the last event attendee’s, this year’s theme is water. I have a line on some top-secret private property for Saturday’s off road and water frivolity but hang tight till I work out the details. Sunday will have about three chances to play Captain Nemo on a public road and what would an Adventure be without a boat ride for your motorcycle? That’s right bring some extra cash for a Ferry ride over Big Muddy and let’s all hope the rivers stay within their banks that weekend. It worked well for me last year, the pavilion was handy when the rain fell and the staff was pleasant to work with so the start area will be back at the Corps of Engineers Blanding Landing Campground and Recreation Area in Hanover Illinois. Campground Website Showers, water source, tent sites as well as electrical sites all along the banks of the Mississippi River. Sure, there is a freight train track in the front yard, but I did not think they were near as much of a problem last year as I thought they might. You are responsible for making your own reservations and if you plan on attending, I would not wait till the last minute as the campground is not all that big. Another word of caution, if are driving a large trailer or motorhome DO NOT try to enter from the north on Diggin Hill Road. Great on a motorcycle but not big rig friendly.

If you are not a camper and wish to hotel it nearby Galena is your best bet and there are numerous options so let Google be your guide. Be warned, Galena is BMW priced lodging as in Bring More Wallet. If you camp Friday evening, I will have the grill hot if you wish to bring your own morsels to cook as none will be provided that evening. Last year we kinda made the guy with the biggest camper set up our unofficial gathering spot Friday night and all were grateful and happy. Perhaps again? There will be coffee on Saturday/Sunday morning and a Saturday evening meal all at the campground shelter, just don’t expect anything too fancy okay? I will have plenty of water to drink but adult beverage distribution subjects me to issues I wish to avoid so bring your own giggle juice. If you are not camping feel free to meet at the shelter morning or evening, there is plenty of parking and no entrance fee to the site. The campground is a long way from civilization so plan your provisions and ice carefully.

I will mention this again as I have in the past events. This is a self-guided event. Please do your best to have a navigation system in place to ride the tracks. Yes, you can always buddy up with someone who has navigation and I can help with that, but we really need to keep the group sizes under that 7-8 rider range. It becomes nearly impossible to keep track of more than that in a group on these roads plus the staff at the tiny out of place lunch stops we hit get overwhelmed with numbers. If you wish ride the Sunday track Saturday and vice versa, that will really aid any congestion issues. Here comes the standard disclosure and explanation for any newbies. This is a gathering of likeminded enthusiasts for the sole purpose of having fun. This is not a competition, please no wagering. There are dangers lurking everywhere and this weekend is no different. You will be on public roads that contain surface hazards, suicidal animals, oversize farm equipment, gawking tourists, snakes, hill folk, crowded city traffic, grumpy entitled rich people who don’t like you driving by their multimillion-dollar properties that were once productive farm ground or pasture land home to animals that supply us all with steak or bacon, broken glass, driftwood and barnacles. Nuff’ said. Use your noodle, be careful, ride at your own risk, don’t put your face directly over the bag when you open the microwave popcorn and for Pete’s sake if you plan on walking through the campfire please let us know beforehand so that video is rolling. Remember, the best accessory you can add to any motorcycle is a healthy, alert well trained rider. If something unfortunate happens that’s your bad and we assume you have adequate insurance. Please respect the campground policies and other campers. The Corps of Engineer brass has been very accommodating thus far, let’s keep that relationship healthy. Any major updates will be posted on this first page as they develop as well as the track files when they are available. Here are the links to past years gathering to give you an idea of how we roll. 2015 2016 2018 This is a no fee involved event but the host lives in Illinois and has a weakness for New Glarus products. Oh look, there are the lines, read between them. Hope to see some new faces so bring your friends. Adventure before dementia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the tracks for download. I have included a Friday 63 mile track for anyone riding in early and looking for a short loop. I highly recommend also taking in the short track to the observation deck in the former Savanna Army Depot if time permits. Note that Day 2 has two sets of tracks, one for high water and one for use of the Cassville Ferry provided it is operational. This link should keep that info updated; https://www.facebook.com/Cassville-Car-Ferry-222503077861763/ I have two .gpx files, a file for the tracks only and one for tracks with routes as requested by some of the older BMW navigation unit users. Feel free to request these e mailed if necessary.

Attached Files:

MrAngry, ed gaines, PlowHand and 5 others like this.
  2. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that the Show Me 200 had been moved to the fall, this has potential.

Jo Davies county, where I graduated from Hanover High. When there was one.
  3. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whats a good bike size for this ride ?
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    :super
    2WheelNeal likes this.
  5. DIHOWARD

DIHOWARD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did this ride a few years back on a R1200GS.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight--
  6. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I had a blast on a small-ish thumper. :dunno
    2WheelNeal and STANIMAL like this.
  7. awarren

awarren Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning on it :clap
  8. spcavanah

spcavanah n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  9. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Vargubau

Vargubau Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd say 250cc would be smallest I'd take. Myself on Africa Twin, done it previously on BMW 1200GS
    Knobbies welcome, not required.
    STANIMAL likes this.
  11. backroadrider74

backroadrider74 blah blah

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the alps front tire will have air in it this year
    will try to make
    Westerly_Wind likes this.
  12. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hold it... You let this Yahoo ride with you?? Isn't there some sort of pre-ride test or something??
    I dunno.. I'd like to go, but if this any indication of the people you allow to ride with you, I'm going to have second thoughts.

On my calendar, but I'll be watching you, tacodude...
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  13. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    psycho klr, rizzo27 and Paper like this.
  14. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:photog

So my excuse that it’s too far away won’t work either?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  15. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    :brow
  16. rizzo27

rizzo27 Cheers!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! I was gonna pack the bike and tent this time but I'll gladly bring the gathering camper again instead. Looking forward to it Terry and I'll bring the big coffee pot as well!
    Romet likes this.
  17. C.John

C.John Epic Ride Report Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Going to make sure I bring ear plugs for sleeping during the passing trains this year...
    bomber60015 and rizzo27 like this.
  18. rizzo27

rizzo27 Cheers!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, that was the only downside there.
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN! In, in, innity, in!
    Romet and rizzo27 like this.
  20. Romet

Romet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. I don’t want to miss drowning of a KTM again.
    Johnnymoto, rizzo27 and bomber60015 like this.