Hunting pics

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NDEBT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good lesson that dogs in an area does not scare deer away. Far to many deer hunters get all upset about them, I have known hounds being killed by "deer" hunters because of it.
    Gimmeslack likes this.
  2. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two dogs also. I have been taken extreme measures to keep their scent off of me. All hunting clothes are kept in the guest room which is off limits to the mutts. While I am getting dressed, they are locked in the laundry room, Wife only lets them out after I have walked outside. They pout because I ignore them once the camo goes on!
    But, after seeing these does standing in the exact trail the dogs were in 30 minutes earlier, maybe I can relax a bit on the scent control.
  3. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Deer are definitly not as worried about scents as one is lead to believe from all the hunting shows and mags. I have also had young hounds run a deer and unless pressed hard they dont go far and if they do, they come right back. Buddy of mine has shot most his deer sitting on some log having a cigarette or smoking a joint. Now the biggest baddest bucks tend to be a bit more leery but still.
    tjzondrz, BigEasy and scootac like this.
  4. vhntr1

vhntr1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg My 2019 buck harvested with a recurve
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I had a doe standing next to me for about 15m clawing away at the ground. Camp chair. My work jacket covered in grease. Wool overalls I keep next to the woodstove in the kitchen. I probably smelled like a trucker just exiting a Waffle House. It never flinched.
    Mountainhound, scootac and Tmaximusv like this.
  6. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I stopped watching hunting shows. Nothing more than ads for equipment that can do without. Not to mention the overuse of blinds, scents, feeders, trail cams to pattern deer and then passing up a xxx point buck cause there's a xxx+2 buck out there.
    NOT my world.
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I posted these....

Mike was given access to a 100 acre parcel about 1 1/2 hours to the east of us, it used to be farmed and now is just managed for lumber. Neither of us had ever hunted in an ag area. This was technically the first part of the rut....Holy crap, what a ton of deer. I had a bad case of food poisoning and was fearful of falling out of my open shot climber. Luckily I didn't, I just puked out of it several times. I saw more deer in one morning than I have my entire 5 years of hunting. I shot one doe, since I could barely stand I didn't want to add extra work and wasn't sure I could even stomach taking one deer apart. Mike shot two the first night while I was driving out...he was pretty happy with his buck.

[​IMG]

Another buddy stopped by for an evening sit to fill his freezer. I think they shot 3 deer that night....I was busy holding my head out of the toilet.

[​IMG]

I got a new toy for my new toy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tjzondrz, KeithinSC, BigEasy and 5 others like this.
  8. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    Last day of season is today. I got a doe this am, about 7 of them came in. This one appeared to be the biggest one. The bullet hole you see is the entrance, deer was slightly angling away from me, bullet came to rest right behind the shoulder on the other side, did not exit.
    This is the 3rd deer i have got with an AR15. Just a tad under powered. These are my reloads though, i might try some hotter factory stuff next year.

All the years i have hunted, i have never killed a deer with a factory rifle cartridge and i have taken deer with, 7MM Mag reloads, .308 reloads, .250 Savage reloads. I guess it won't hurt to try something new. I did shoot 2 deer one year with factory shotgun slugs.

IMG_1983.JPG
    hardwaregrrl and Bigbob1 like this.
  9. Mowhair

Mowhair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    B5F9F1C0-AA7D-4019-ABB9-7ECD7F18901D.jpeg

5 man limit of honkers on the North Platte River.
    Wkendwrench, Gillus, scootac and 3 others like this.
  11. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which state - CO or NE?
  12. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    NE
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  13. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job. I remember when I was a kid growing up in Montana, limiting on geese was a rare deal (mid 1970's). Now I could kill them by the wagon load in the city parks around here.
  14. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my students provided me with a deer earlier this month has offered a number of geese when he’s done for the season!:clap:y0!
  15. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Got the deer cam up just to see what's out there. This came up. I had to bring the pics inside to see it; phone was too small.

DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

3n6sua.gif

Ignore the date/time stamp. I've fixed it now.

Kinda neat.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  16. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, its nice to have game camera's behind the house just to see who's hanging around. ignore the dates, keep forgetting to set the date when changing batterys.

IMG_3411.JPG IMG_1507.JPG
    scootac likes this.
  17. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Nice pics! Interesting getting the wolf and the buck in the same spot. If the pics are true to scale, that is one big dog. Beautiful animal, I'd like to see a day time color pic of him.
  18. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same camera, same location. The black wolf was running around town the last couple years. Lot's of pet dogs and cats where missing last year.
    My back yard gets lot's of visitors. Here are a few summer visitors.
    IMG_0848.JPG IMG_0127.JPG
    BigEasy, Sharkdog and Fubars like this.