Hunting pics

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NDEBT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    Yes calling them in. The one today was a tough one. He would not answer a call but, was working his way to me. Pro tip, when they won't answer a call, don't answer them with a call. Many turkey hunters make that mistake. You have to wait a wile after he gobbles, then make your call to him. A chess game of sorts.
    hardwaregrrl, BigEasy and scootac like this.
  2. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Good advice. I only return a call if they cut my call, otherwise be quiet.
    ChromeSux likes this.
  3. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    This guy has some great tips, the older videos from 5-7 years ago give lots of real world turkey hunting tips. I say real world as in places your average guy gets to hunt. I have been on a few of those well managed private "dream hunting" areas in south GA, it was like cheating. There were multiple gobblers go go after each morning, i enjoyed it the few times i got to go on those hunts though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mddale31/videos
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Out this morning for a little look n listen. Saw one lone turkey, too far away to know what it was. Never heard a gobble or peep.
    Couple black squirrels.....and a fox!
    27°.....and cold toes.
    ChromeSux likes this.
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    1st morning for spring gobblers here in PA. Nice morning, quiet and dry. Sitting for close to sn hour, heard nothing. Moved twice, when looked from woods out to an open field.....turkeys!!! One gobbler for sure, 2-3 others, not sure, never got a good look. Sat and called, one gobble out of him and that was it. They never spooked....but never got near close enough and just wandered off in the wrong direction.
    Damn.
    But I got to see some!
    :D
    Lots of time left.
  6. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys I heard from said they are paired up and quiet. Haven't been to camp since the COVID crap started. Our grocery store burnt down and they are not rebuilding. Been working with the new pup mostly anyway.

Training 0420.jpg
  7. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Very bad thing when a grocery store closes and won’t reopen. Small town death becomes imminent. Sigh.

Great form from the pup!
  8. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I blamed it on having hens with him already.....not my poor calling!!!
    Hall's not rebuilding.....DAMN!!!!
    :(
    I liked to stop there and get a sub to take along to the wilds beyond!
  9. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few years ago they moved the hardware store into the grocery store. It was kind of weird because you had three rows of hardware and paint then the next aisle over was fruits and vegetables. But it was also great not having to make two separate stops as well. The town did get a Dollar General store a few years ago too. They call it the Snow Shoe Walmart up there. The truck stop there used to be packed when I was kid, but now there is 5 to 10 trucks there it seems. Most stop a the bottom of the mountain at a newer one I believe. The pup is coming along slowly, the virus crap has stopped group training, but a friend and I try to get together once a week or so to get him on birds. I just finished up a chukar pen in the yard and brought over two from his house.

Scootac,
    I guess it is either Weis near Bellefonte or Walmart in Clearfield from now on. I would not be surprised if something else opens eventually as the store was a great place for tons of people going to their camps to the north. My kid will miss the Subway inside for sure. We eat at Brothers Pizza in "downtown" Snow Shoe as well as Newman's in Clarence. This should be fun come hunting season when we run out of something at camp and have to go 30 to 45 minutes to find something. May be a menu change for the week.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'd think there were a lot of folks from Snow Shoe, Moshannon, and Karthaus areas that did their main shopping at Halls. Especially older retired folks that didn't go down the mountain for work. They'll be hit the hardest.
    Never tried/knew about Newmans.....will search it out.
    Sandwich n sub place?
  11. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_5421.jpg
    Colorado High Country Merriams, I love this time of year!!
  12. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Called in a two year old tom this morning. His breasts are already in the crock pot. My old classic Mossberg has killed many a meals,,

F45AA79D-07BC-429C-8160-69E071243CD8.jpeg A8FBFECD-E26B-473E-8518-0FFEE09D4435.jpeg
  13. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Birds

Thanks
  14. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    While hunting morels today I spotted two of these

754EC4D3-829C-4506-9C03-1B51AA1F7688.jpeg