1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting pics

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NDEBT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Out this morning for a little look n listen. Saw one lone turkey, too far away to know what it was. Never heard a gobble or peep.
    Couple black squirrels.....and a fox!
    27°.....and cold toes.
    ChromeSux likes this.
  2. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    1st morning for spring gobblers here in PA. Nice morning, quiet and dry. Sitting for close to sn hour, heard nothing. Moved twice, when looked from woods out to an open field.....turkeys!!! One gobbler for sure, 2-3 others, not sure, never got a good look. Sat and called, one gobble out of him and that was it. They never spooked....but never got near close enough and just wandered off in the wrong direction.
    Damn.
    But I got to see some!
    :D
    Lots of time left.
  3. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys I heard from said they are paired up and quiet. Haven't been to camp since the COVID crap started. Our grocery store burnt down and they are not rebuilding. Been working with the new pup mostly anyway.

Training 0420.jpg
    TX50 and LewisNClark like this.
  4. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Very bad thing when a grocery store closes and won’t reopen. Small town death becomes imminent. Sigh.

Great form from the pup!
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I blamed it on having hens with him already.....not my poor calling!!!
    Hall's not rebuilding.....DAMN!!!!
    :(
    I liked to stop there and get a sub to take along to the wilds beyond!
  6. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few years ago they moved the hardware store into the grocery store. It was kind of weird because you had three rows of hardware and paint then the next aisle over was fruits and vegetables. But it was also great not having to make two separate stops as well. The town did get a Dollar General store a few years ago too. They call it the Snow Shoe Walmart up there. The truck stop there used to be packed when I was kid, but now there is 5 to 10 trucks there it seems. Most stop a the bottom of the mountain at a newer one I believe. The pup is coming along slowly, the virus crap has stopped group training, but a friend and I try to get together once a week or so to get him on birds. I just finished up a chukar pen in the yard and brought over two from his house.

Scootac,
    I guess it is either Weis near Bellefonte or Walmart in Clearfield from now on. I would not be surprised if something else opens eventually as the store was a great place for tons of people going to their camps to the north. My kid will miss the Subway inside for sure. We eat at Brothers Pizza in "downtown" Snow Shoe as well as Newman's in Clarence. This should be fun come hunting season when we run out of something at camp and have to go 30 to 45 minutes to find something. May be a menu change for the week.
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'd think there were a lot of folks from Snow Shoe, Moshannon, and Karthaus areas that did their main shopping at Halls. Especially older retired folks that didn't go down the mountain for work. They'll be hit the hardest.
    Never tried/knew about Newmans.....will search it out.
    Sandwich n sub place?
  8. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_5421.jpg
    Colorado High Country Merriams, I love this time of year!!
  9. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Called in a two year old tom this morning. His breasts are already in the crock pot. My old classic Mossberg has killed many a meals,,

F45AA79D-07BC-429C-8160-69E071243CD8.jpeg A8FBFECD-E26B-473E-8518-0FFEE09D4435.jpeg
  10. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame

Oddometer:
    Nice Birds

Thanks
  11. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    While hunting morels today I spotted two of these

754EC4D3-829C-4506-9C03-1B51AA1F7688.jpeg
  12. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all.....going to start my western hunt career next season with a pronghorn hunt. Any one have any advice on how the system in Wyoming works? I'm debating on buying a preference point this year, I have a couple months to decide. I'm trying to figure out if I should apply for a unit come January or wait until after the draw and pick up a left over tag? Any advice appreciated as I've no idea what the hell I'm doing.
  13. crawdad

crawdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i’ve been six or seven times, it is my favorite hunt. I haven’t been for the last three years so I don’t know if anything has changed. I would definitely apply for the draw as there may not be any leftover tags in an area that you would like to hunt, if you don’t get selected in the draw you can go to plan B. You can go to the Wyoming fish and game website and look at the quotas for each unit, be aware that many units will have lots of tags available but have little or no public land. Get a doe tag or 2 as well, last time I bought they were $38 for nonresident which is cheaper than I can hunt deer in my home state. I am a very far from being an expert but will try to answer any other questions you might have. Good luck!
  14. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I had a nice chat with a guy at Wyoming DNR.....he recommended I check into a special Women's hunt through the state but that's not my style. He told me to buy a preference point, then do my homework on units to hunt, but that the season dates and harvest report won't come out till April so I should wait until May to apply. I guess they don't pick hunter until June anyway. But once I get further along in the process, I bet you I'll have tons of questions. Here's my first.....why is it your favorite hunt?
  15. crawdad

crawdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the West, but that rugged sage brush country is my favorite. Hard to explain but I just feel good when I’m there. Lots of game, I’ve seen plenty of animals on every trip except one. I love cruising the dirt roads glassing for animals and then trying to figure out how you’re gonna get to them. I’ve had several really memorable, long, successful stalks. All of my shots have been under 200yds, my last probably about 75. Longer shots are certainly possible but I’m just not that confident out beyond 200. Antelope is my favorite game meat. (Again, get the doe tags too, they’re not big animals). Much of the above is probably influenced by the fact that I live in flat, thickly wooded, coastal southern NJ. I hate sitting in a tree stand.

We always tried to go earlier in the season thinking that the animals would be a little less spooked but we have gone later and been successful. My experience has been seeing less hunters in the field later in the season but you run the risk of bad weather. Have good maps/gps, not uncommon in the west for public land to be landlocked by private land and some BLM land is “checkerboarded” with private land. Hopefully a WY resident will chime in here with better info for you. Are you flying and renting a vehicle or driving out? Using an outfitter?

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/access-tips-hunting-blm-lands

also- might be worth posting in regionals, a local may be able to steer you to a good unit or even a specific location
  16. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Awesome info! Thanks! No outfitter, totally DIY. I’ll be driving as i feel it’s cheaper (shipping meat home is expensive)and I really love driving and exploring in my 4wd I want to camp but have heard it’s not worth the hassle and airbnb is cheap. Since antelope are out in the day it makes sense. I’ll camp on the drive out and back. Might convince my friend to go, but until there is a vaccine I can’t have him in my car since he’s an RN.
  17. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is he sick or an active carrier? If not what's your issue? You friends or not? You expect everybody to get vaccine before you'll let them in your car? You do your own field dressing? You do realise you could catch something doing that and die right, or at least get very sick, kind of like this stupid virus you are using as an excuse not to invite your "friend".
  18. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Seriously? You forgot to ask if she's republican or democrat.....
    hardwaregrrl and scootac like this.
  19. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Hey, fuck you.....noob.
    Speedo66 and Wkendwrench like this.
  20. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    No noob and can't answer some simple questions. You are the one that brought up that you wont be having your friend in truck with covid afoot. So I asked questions, but I guess they were to difficult to answer.