Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by sperz1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto!

Power came on today. Natural Gas was a good backup power fuel, running nearly $1.50 an hour instead of gasoline at $3.00 an hour. Ran over 450 hours on generators. Some of that on Gasoline. Grocery store is slowly getting stock in. A temporary gasoline station is set up for local fuel. Damage to house was under deductible :muutt . We are so grateful
    to be left with first world problems.

Red Sox won.

On the other hand our friends are dealing with the trades booked out over a year. 98 is still closed through Mexico Beach. So trips to Panama City are now through WEWa, about 2 hrs.

The place still looks like a war zone.

Back to life!
    Chicken Helmet and Mugwest like this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that some of you guys are getting back to 'normal' as far as that goes.
    It will take a long time for things to heal up, as damage from Andrew is still visible in the FL City/ Homestead area if you know where to look...
    But life goes on, so Carpe Diem!
    Chicken Helmet likes this.
  3. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, batten down the hatches cuz some more weather is coming through later today.
  4. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you folks are getting the bssic infras back online to help w cleanup & resupply.

@Coma i hope The Pig is getting back to regular trading, I've stopped there a few times since its opening & know how central it is to PSJ. I've been passing through PSJ since i was old enough to be strapped in a kiddo-seat when the St Joe plant was an ungodly stank polluter. Always rooted for PSJs reinvention since the plant closed 20 years ago :nod
    Coma likes this.
  5. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    More shit falling in my yard. I got no room to complain as I made it out light in comparison but damn.
    Coma likes this.
  6. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the good thoughts.

PSJ future is looking bright, even with Michael. As one of the last deep water ports, shipping is on the rise. Eastern Ship Building is going to start fitting at the port. Tyndal is supposed to be hosting a large drone squadron in addition to the F22 trading squadron.

That said we lost some tourist icons like Toucan’s, Killer is moving to Wind Mark, Shell Shack. Paradise Craft House and their local beer is iffy. Unfortunately the carpetbagge’s are rolling in buying up real estate to flip.

The is bay tranquil once more with its signature Emerald hue......the cycle of life on the sea coast goes on.
    KimPossible, woodsatyr and Mugwest like this.
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a roof!!!!
    Just before the weather turned the corner.:thumbup
  8. worncog

Oddometer:
    Nice! I just realized that you were in Cook Bayou. I know, sometimes traction is delayed. Anyhow... I was running supplies over that way a few days after the storm in the area south of you.

Hope your life is getting closer to normal over there. We had minimal damage on my property, but it seems like it's taking forever to get back on track. I will say that all the riding I did earlier this year put me a little behind, and the storm put all that lag into overdrive. I'm unofficially grounded for a bit till I get my fencing done. Ugh...
  9. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slow is an understatement.
    I think I have the first finished roof in my area and feel incredibly blessed at that.
    One of my neighbors is still waiting for a quote.
    I received calls this week from roofers I contacted in October asking if I still needed a quote.
    Just last week I still saw places getting tarped.
    No cable/Internet at the house and the debris piles just continue to grow.
    Nothing in my area has been hauled off by FEMA sponsored trucks yet.
  10. worncog

Oddometer:
    They have been working on the Beach and in Town hauling debris. Only tree debris from what I've seen at this point. Even that is going to take months.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Glad you got your roof done!
    It’s good to see some progress, but in the Keys they are still cleaning up after Irma.... so patience pays..
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 months later we are moving back in.
    Again, I feel blessed as I am ahead of most that saw similar damage.
    Still tons of places with tarp on the roofs.
    Buzztail, Mugwest, Hatch and 7 others like this.
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I rode over to Apalatchicola yesterday with the intent of riding some forest roads in ANF with some CADS buds. For reasons that don't matter I bailed on that ride today. Instead I thought I'd take a quick trip over to Mexico Beach and check things out.

Oh. My. God. I was in Miami, what is now Kendall, five months after Andrew, & what I saw was jaw dropping. But what I saw today was different. Maybe because Miami is so big, or maybe because I'm older, I don't know.

Coming in from the east I could see how the winds started to take their toll. It was surreal to see virtually all the trees leaning right. Then I rolled into Mexico Beach proper.

El Governor is being rebuilt, and I suppose that's the good news. Other than that, it's heart breaking. I went all the way through and about a mile past before turning around. There's still stuff in what's left of the trees. Things that look like sheets and clothing and the like. I pulled in to where the pier used to be. A couple of tourists were walking around taking video of the devastation. I couldn't wrap my brain around that, I didn't even have the heart to take a simple picture. What really drove it home was seeing travel trailers parked where a home used to be. Probably about a dozen of them along the affected area. I saw concrete pilings snapped off with rebar bent at ninety degrees where the structure above was ripped off. I'd never seen that before. Armco barriers bent like a twist tie from a loaf of bread.

Before Michael I had never heard of Mexico Beach. Now, having been there, and seeing how such a storm can affect a small town, I have a whole new level of respect for the every day person. Sure, there are plenty of construction crews about doing what they do. But what impressed me were the amount of what looked like home owners doing everything they could to rebuild what was theirs.

I'm not into trendy stuff but I'll finish with this, for what it's worth. #mexicobeachstrong
    Mugwest, rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Next time let a FF know you’re coming right by my place:ken
    Huzband likes this.
  15. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Appreciate this report, bub. Special area there
  16. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several years ago I was taking a slow ride down the panhandle coast. Camping in State Parks, swimming and riding. I went through Mexico Beach one afternoon. It started raining pretty hard so I stopped at a restaurant. Really nice owner. I was soaking wet, but he didn't care. I ordered and ate and it was still raining. He told me stay as long as I like. Visited with him and some locals for awhile. Really nice people. Just an old Florida beach town like you don't see anymore. We lost a jewel. Hopefully they rebuild.
    Mugwest and Huzband like this.
  17. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Best hope for MX Beach is Tyndall's mission expanding. St Joe is sitting on all that surrounding forest just itching for development payoff.

Condo Canyon to make El Governor look like a little lodge. $$$$
  18. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I miss the trees.........:(
    Mugwest likes this.
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    It's been a year...
  20. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    As dry as it’s been here I hope all those down trees don’t make the panhandle a tinderbox.