Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by sperz1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would add insult to injury for sure.
    Mugwest likes this.
  2. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Guess we're all on a wavelength-- made mental note today to PM Ogre & @Coma to see how rebuild was going.

Radio had a national spot today talking to the hardware store guy in Mex Beach-- he's cutting a lot of keys for rebuilder/returner folks. He voiced the concern we all have: greedheads will highrise the fuck out of the place.
    rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  3. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    That would be a tragedy to top it all off... Florida is already being overdeveloped :bluduh
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was considering where we have come from. Thank you @Mugwest for your thoughts. My immediate area is mostly cleaned up except for the rubble of the pink house.

2018 was a terrible year three deaths, including my brother. Not to mention Michael. Roads are mostly rebuilt, with MB just finishing a bridge on 98. Development is at breakneck speed with a new development at Windmark. Many part time owners bailed and the resulting buy opportunities has real estate brisk. We doubled down and added some improvements. I won’t leave except maybe in an urn.

We spent time in Colorado to visit with my sister who lost her husband last year....lovely in July and August at 8k feet. Returning we came through Panama City, the rubble that is still there is astounding. To compound the recovery Bay county (Panama City) is condemning houses that have already settled with insurance, what a nightmare. The good news is Tyndall, money for repair and the assurance of new F35 squadrons give the area hope. Rebuilding will take many years. This catastrophe has changed the way many people think as I see people investing in people. Hope has returned.
    Mugwest and rider1150gsadv like this.
  5. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    My condolences, sorry to hear about all the deaths in your family... The material side of life is really not relevant in light of what happens to people.
    Glad to read that there is light at the end of the tunnel for you and the other people up there. It will take time to heal all wounds. Just hang in there.
    Coma likes this.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Coma, I am sorry to hear about losing your Brother and others.

I wish I could say I see hope for my area.
    I struggle with living here.
    It was never a really nice area, but it had some nice "pockets" and I felt lucky to be in one of them.
    Now it's crap everywhere.
    Seems like every 3rd to 5th house out my way is still a mess and many I assume are abandoned.
    I would say we lost 80% of the trees. Snapped off/timber down everywhere.
    There is also a huge number of standing dead timber now. The few trees that did not fall are now dead.

I LOVED my home and where I lived.
    Now I would leave in a heartbeat.
  7. Coma

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

It has forever changed me, I’ve never felt a loss so deeply.
    Mugwest and rider1150gsadv like this.
  8. Coma

Oddometer:
    I am deeply sorrowful for the loss you feel. One of my closest friends sold their home in as condition and left. They found a place near Chiefland, they were broken into and robbed within 36 hours of moving in. Welcome Home!
  9. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    ^ Djeebus...:cry
    Coma likes this.
  10. Coma

Oddometer:
    I should mention, if you have any contractor skill this area is very short handed. A friend worked as day labor $60 per hour unskilled. This was last March. Rates aren’t that high now but the contractors are dying for people who will show up to work.
  11. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife & I ran into the owner of one of our favorite asian restaurants not that long ago.
    We asked if she would be re-opening soon.

She said she can't.
    All her help had moved on to construction and she said that she can not compete with the current rates.
    Coma likes this.
  12. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear this, Ogre. But totally get it--"Home" is way more than a mere physical structure and a plat taxed by a county-- Home is an entire Area, a zone of contacts & neighbors & Nature & History.

When all that gets blown away, simply rebuilding the house comes up short.

Best wishes Ogre. Find a solution that works
  13. Coma

Oddometer:
    I sympathize with her situation.

OTOH

Larger employers have, for decades, kept wages at poverty level because there wasn’t anything else. Now that the wage model is at the the other end of the cycle they can’t find help. Their complaint is that they can’t get help because there is no “affordable housing”. No housing to publicly”subsidize” their wage model.

I’ve said many times here in town, there is no employee or housing shortage that better wages wouldn’t cure.
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    That’s the same shit in the Keys... No living wage paid and no housing to speak of so a lot of peeps are bused from Florida City to Marathon and points in between...:loco
    Coma likes this.