Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by sperz1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Had no idea you are in Mx Beach, Coma-- thought you were well east of there. Sounds like Cape San Blas thwarted the surge for some folks east of MB

I dont do Facebook but the Piggly Wiggly in PSJ FB page reports doing curbside orders with skeleton staff

Take care & let us outer folks know what we can do. Everybody wants to come & be chainsaw gods, tell us what YOU need
    Coma and Buzztail like this.
  2. Hatch

Hatch It's a bit loud, mmhmm

Oddometer:
    I went to PCB Thursday and helped open roads, I'd say if you guys got a carpool together, brought plenty of food n water, fuel, saws, n bar oil, you could just drive in and start offering help to whoever's lookin like they need it. There's months of cleanup ahead.
    Or you could do like these fine folks and help feed the workers, that was a nice surprise when a convertible deuce rolled up an they hollered "Yawl hungry?"

Attached Files:

3. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mugwest and everyone!

We have no down trees on our lot, I had them all removed. The Pig is open with limit products and the Dairy guy said a truck is arriving today with meat, dairy and frozen food. I’m having survivors remorse. Coma Wife and I have almost no loss. Our friends are living with us for now, they are down to the clothes they are wearing. They met with flood adjuster yesterday. They will get pennies on the dollar as there is no replacement cost on contents. Serve Pro wants $10-18k up front before they will start recovery on their flooded house.

We have food enough in the freezer if I can keep the generators running. The roads are open so it’s clean up now, here. MB is probably in recovery now. The still have 20 missing....

They outpouring of generosity is humbling. I deeply appreciate all’yall wanting to help, I wouldn’t know where to have you start.

Thank you!

On edit: The friends living with us have family bring fuel and food and chainsaws today.
    Mugwest likes this.
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree. Fuel is very limited and given to the workers as it should be. Takes all the fuel we can get to keep the freezers running.

We are told electric and natural gas service is close to being restored. My genny is Trifuel and about 60 cents an hour on NG instead of $3 on gasoline.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mission BBQ rules! Their food is pretty good and since they opened up a joint here in town, they have been on a roll.
    If you happen to get lunch be prepared to stand for the national anthem at noon. :thumbup:thumbup
    Chicken Helmet, Coma, waybill and 3 others like this.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone in the Panhandle area recommend a roofer, preferably one that does metal roofs.
    Madhouse likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    If push comes to shove you can do it yourself.. I did after George in the Keys.. Long story short, roofing companies suck ass, fuck them with a cactus. I had three quotes and after the insurance paid up all three raised their prices..:devildog One of them was a friend of mine.. WAS..

Anyway I made an engineering drawing, went to the building department, got approved, went to Home Depot, ordered the panels and did it myself. YMMV
    Davebert likes this.
  8. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    I did almost the same thing. I went to the local metal roof supplier with a drawing of my roof and all the dimensions and asked the guy behind the counter for an estimate. He said "I just sell the stuff, you are going to have to figure that out yourself". So I looked on the internet for another nearby supplier and drove to Alabama with my same drawing and the guy looked at it and his fingers hit the calculator and he gave me a total in less than 5 minutes. So I ordered the stuff from him. :D Then my wife and I learned how to install a metal roof by doing it. Turned out fine but be careful in the wind when handling the long sheets and make sure you have some non-slip shoes. We did have some prior experience from building our 2400 square foot steel building workshop though...
    Hatch, Mugwest and rider1150gsadv like this.
  9. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    It is not hard to install a 5V crimp metal roof. Just be super careful when walking on your roof. I went right over the old one that I first re-sealed with cold tar where I had lost some shingles. Then I installed the PT 2x4 furring “strips” that I screwed into the existing roof, added more insulation and screwed the metal roof on top of that. The roof is still on our former house after having gone through Irene,Wilma and Irma...
    I went “overkill” on fasteners according to the county engineer :D but in my book there is no such thing as overbuilding, hence its survival so far..
    Hatch likes this.
  10. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    Being there at noon is awesome. They stop everything and play the National Anthem. I inadvertently went there on Veterans Day and they honored athem and fed them for free.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Founded by vets and they employ as many as they can too. Snowflakes need not apply...:rofl
    Hatch, Huzband, waybill and 2 others like this.
  12. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    Ogre, if you can get one of these guys with the know-how and a few of us with the ability to work, we could do it ourselves!! I volunteer for worker bee duty. I've done shingle roofs but not metal.
    Ogre_fl and Mugwest like this.
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Tadlock do my roof last year over here in PCB. I have shingles, but they have a more experienced team on metal, from what I have heard they do good work. My neighborhood did ok. Most of the properties got a little damage, but my roof is intact. Guess it paid off to get the upgraded 130mph shingles.

If you decide to do DIY, add me to the list. Not a roofer, but I have tools and decent skills.

If you do come over this way to help those in need, bear in mind traffic is fucked up and super slow. Enter the zone with a full tank and bring every jerry can you can fit. Not so much for your vehicle, but people are still running on gennie power in most of the outlying areas. We evacuated to Youngstown, I know 'off the cooktop into the pan', and the farm we stayed at is still on generator power.

I will tell you that looting and crime is off the chart within the zone. Home invasions are becoming common as low lifes are posing as rescue workers to get in the door. Price gouging is a whole nuther subject. Arm up and stay alert.

Now back out to cut some trees and drop in some more fence posts.
    Mugwest and Ogre_fl like this.
  14. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    We unaffected FFs all went on with daily stuff this week as the unaffected will do. @Ogre_fl ? @Coma ? @worncog ? How goes it?
  15. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mug, Thanks for the concerns.

We have power at the house as of Thursday and have had water mitigation guys there ripping out carpets, ceilings and walls. Also running dehumidifiers.
    Still in the middle of dealing with the insurance.
    I am VERY thankful that I still have a place to work, been back at work and have a paycheck coming in.

Worncog is dead right, traffic here is nutty. While I appreciate folks helping, I will be glad to see the tree guys who drive like lunatics with thier strobe lights flashing ALL THE TIME go back home.

Still have limited phone, very limited mobile data at the house.
    Fuel on the east side is really hard to find.
  16. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need a fuel delivery?
  17. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    Our off road club sourced needed supplies for donating to those in need. One of the guys took an enclosed trailer of goods out there including several donated cans of fuel, coolers full of cold drinks such as Gatorade and sodas in case anyone was tired of drinking warm water. He was turned away at four drop locations and almost a fifth because he didn’t have a semi trailer that could be dropped and wasn’t associated with FEMA. They did find two families who had lost everything and were more than happy to see the generosity. One family had been to GA on vacation to come “home” to everything gone. They had 4 small children, the oldest about 4. He said she was visibly still trying to process how when she left she had a room full of toys and clothes and after coming back from having fun, had nothing. He gave her a small stuffed hedgehog he had and her eyes welled up and she hugged it and thanked him. He said his tours in the Middle East still didn’t prepare him for what was seen out there. Our thoughts are still with all of you dealing with this.
    Hatch, DaveBeezy, Davebert and 2 others like this.
  18. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Na, thanks
    Its available, you just have to travel west.
    PCB is like a completely different world, the normal one.

As someone here put it very well "we are not struggling, there are still those that truly are, we are just inconvenienced"
  19. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    PCB is kinda normal, except for the traffic. Traffic is really gotten stupid. Thunder Beach was cancelled, thank God, but a few nitwits still came down for the weekend. Stupid. One guy was riding down Back Beach Road and was hit by an unmarked state trooper. It really is wacky over here. Ok, I'm done with that.

Got tired of fondling my post hole digger and loaded up my truck and headed into The Zone. Wandered over to Callaway Bayou and found a few souls who needed some supplies. I found a fella and his two sons who literally just returned to what was left of their home. They were very happy to receive all I had. I can't put into words the destruction I saw, and that was not even the worst areas. People were glad to see me, even though most of them were in good shape as far as water and food and declined any supplies. I stopped by a Point of Distribution on the way home and they loaded me up. My truck is stuffed and I will go back out again today. Not looking for a pat on the back or anything, but I would like anyone to know that you can go to these points of distribution and get supplies. MRE's, water, paper products, snacks, diapers, tarps... It's there for people in need. They will also feed you. I know most of you are not in the area, but you may know someone who is in The Zone and would benefit from this.
    Mugwest, Hatch, Huzband and 3 others like this.
  20. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Life's little victories:

Today was the first day that during my commute to work, mostly in the dark, that I DID NOT have a damn tree guy in front or behind me running with his damn strobe lights on. :wings
    Traffic is also improving, though kind of scared what will happen when they start up the schools on the new split shifts and 7 AM start times.
    Huzband and woodsatyr like this.