Husaberg '09 FE570 rallye bike build

Discussion in 'Australia' started by SafariBerg, Dec 19, 2008.

1. dirt rider X

dirt rider X tropical traveller

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on a very professional build,
    Thanks for taking the time to share it with us all
    All the best for the big adventure:clap :clap
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

This might be a bit off topic but you could get a much better workout in less time. In addition to lots of actual riding practice, I would combine a few high intensity interval sessions (preferably using full range of motion movements and not stuff like biking - Crossfit would be a good start) with some functional strength work (ie squatting/deadlifting/pressing and not biceps curling).

Aerobic training takes way too much time and has too many disadvantages for the little benefit it offers.

If you want to know more I'd be glad to expand here or in a PM.

Cheers
  3. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    :ear :ear :ear

very glad to hear of others experiences, thoughts or tips re training

also any thoughts on supplements both for training and the event itself

fatigue is going to be a major issue to manage

the bike might be built but the pilot is still under prep :D
  4. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Mr 'Berg doesn't object, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts in the thread rather than taking it off-line:ear . I do one heck of a lot of cycling in my commuting to work (32kms each way!) but need to supplement that to address my "top end" before the Desert Challenge in March.
  5. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by Aerobic training has too many disadvantages for the little benefit it has ?

can you please explain !!
  6. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [ :ear . I do one heck of a lot of cycling in my commuting to work (32kms each way!) but need to supplement that to address my "top end" before the Desert Challenge in March.[/quote]

if you want some help ,i'll be happy to help show you a top end rebuild or overhaul at least .
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    An event such as the Dakar is by it's nature going to demand a pretty well rounded fitness. Very much unlike other competitions such as marathons and ironmans which focus solely on endurance, you will also need to be strong (think picking up your fully fueled bike in the dunes, in awkward positions etc), and your riding will benefit from having good coordination, balance, agility etc. Having a solid amount of lean body mass will make it easier to control the bike and possibly protect you better in falls, as will stronger bones.

The problem with aerobic training is that while it's ok for improving cardiovascular function and fat loss, at the same time it's also associated with loss of muscle mass, strength, speed, power and a decrease in testosterone. You just need to compare the competitors in a marathon to sprinters to see what I mean. And as the other name usually associated with it implies - long, slow, distance - it also takes a hell of a lot of time.

Anaerobic training on the other hand is the only way you are going to get stronger, faster, and more powerful. What most people don't know is that it can also be used to build excellent aerobic fitness without the muscle loss etc caused by high volume of aerobic training. The bodies hormonal response is also much greater, which in turn will cause a higher loss of body fat per calorie burned (EPOC also plays a role, although smaller than most people believe). So basically if done right, with a fraction of the time you are getting the same benefits in endurance and fat burning as with aerobic training, but instead of getting weaker you are getting bigger, faster and stronger.

One other thing most people are not aware of is that your heart and lungs are not the most important key to endurance. They only help you increase the amount of oxygen in your blood and deliver it to the muscle, but endurance will depend more on the muscle's strength and it's ability to use the oxygen already in the blood stream. That's why somebody like Lance Armstrong with an absolutely exceptional VO2max gets beaten by genetically average people in a marathon (I think he was 850th or so) because their physiology is more adapted to running.

In conclusion, I would recommend to limit your aerobic work to actual riding practice to increase the efficiency, lactate threshold, and other oxidative qualities of the riding muscles. Of course as a side benefit you will also hone your skills.

Your training off the bike should consist of some type of metabolic conditioning work and some whole body functional strength training as I mentioned in the last post. I don't know in what areas your fitness is lacking to set up a specific program but a good trainer should be able to help you. Since I see that you are in Perth, one of the local Crossfit affiliates would probably be a good start, definitely much better than your average gym if you want to focus on improving your performance.

Keep in mind that the training is only one aspect for getting in shape, but it definitely needs to be combined with proper recovery (especially with the high intensity training I recommend) as well as nutrition.

Hope I didn't cause more questions than I answered, but I'd be happy to go into more detail. Might be a day or three before I answer as I am moving tomorrow and have to drive 2600kms....

Cheers,
    Lukas

Edit: Add some clarifications.
  8. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With my limited understanding of fitness, but with some good experience in long endurance races, you are just half right.

IMHO, when the race is long, good flow of oxygen is important for one part of our body, that with the hour become more and more important - the brain.

Insufficient cardio condition will limit your ability to think clearly after, lets say, 10 hours of continuous riding. When its longer, and in Dakar, it is longer, it just become critical.
    Then come the lose of focus, and this is where the danger is.

M.
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey M.,

Maybe it didn't come across right but I was not taking about having insufficient "cardio conditioning" but rather about being proficient in ALL THREE metabolic pathways (which provide energy to the body), including the oxidative (aerobic) one. Unfortunately there is still a popular fallacy that being competent in the latter can only be accomplished through classic cardio training, but this is completely wrong. With interval training you get the same cardiovascular benefit of endurance work but get spared the attendant loss of strength, speed, power, etc.
  10. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    Best of luck!:clap

This thread should be in thumpers also.
  11. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    Gary/Rallye/Jaybo1 , if your ever looking for a great excersize routine i can't recommend Crossfit enough myself. I cycle a few hundred km's a week normally but i am seeing faster and more useable results from crossfit. Lactic acid tolerence has increased to a level i never knew and my heartrate and breathing control are well above anything ive ever achieved.

There is a guy that does a great saturday class for $15 that teaches you about it and then does a workout at the end. It starts at 10am every sat and usually goes for 1-1.5hours. If your keen to try it out just PM me for details, or i'm sure some of you might have my number.
  12. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    Hi Lukas, be keen to hear from you what you would suggest as a typical Dakar training programme should be. Obviously for each person it would need to be tailored, but just in general principles, but exercises and nutrition etc
  13. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    Want to very much thank a couple of the suppliers of critical parts for the Dakar bike. As its an all new model in 2009 and that no one has used one for rallye racing before I want to thank

[​IMG]

http://www.rvaqualine.com.au/home.php

[​IMG]

Without them stepping up to the plate and developing the long range tanks for the Safari, building a Dakar bike would have been much much harder, not many options except going the full Mecasystem KTM kit way, which is way more comoplicated, expensive and not tailored to the Berg like the Aqualine tanks are. Now we have 30L on board and up to 32-33L with the slightly bigger custom Dakar rear tank Robin is making for us.

[​IMG]

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/

[​IMG]

Force have made a custom Dakar bashplate that holds the required 3L emergency water and also a toolbox on the LHS.

They also have the great radiator guards to which the front fairing braces are attached, and they make the mounting brackets for the Safari fuel tanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks heaps guys for going the extra yards. :clap :clap :clap :clap
  14. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    that bike would put a horn on a jellyfish!!

Well done and good luck:)
  15. AussieMasada

AussieMasada Worlds Slowest Ural

Oddometer:
    Not just the jellyfish :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  16. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Incredible build, thanks for sharing it with us!

Just out of curiosity I thought the Dakar bikes were limited to 450cc or is there a different class that this bike will be running in that has no displacement restriction?
  17. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    no, for 2010 non-Pros are unlimited, pros can have >450cc but with a restrictor

2011 non-pros can have >450cc but with a restrictor, pros only 450's

2012 all on a 450 only
  18. Iceveign

Iceveign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow Safariberg, you realize your living a dream, right. Way to go man! Thanks for posting all your hard work along with the companies that helped you out, the pictures really gave me an insight to how difficult this type of racing is and what all it requires, it's an eye opener for sure.

I recently stopped by a local KTM dealer here and they had some Husabergs there and after reading everything I could find on the web I'm fascinated by these bikes, the FE390 in particular. This thread has really increased my urge to own one of these bikes, good work and good luck to you and your crew.
  19. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    What type of restrictor and does unlimited mean any CC and anything goes?
  20. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb
    Good luck, too!