Husaberg '09 FE570 rallye bike build

Discussion in 'Australia' started by SafariBerg, Dec 19, 2008.

1. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    - Will these jackets be for sale anytime soon?!?
    - You say for a third of the price of what Kenny is offering, so around 100€, right?
    - Are these also custom designed ones?

Sound very tempting anyway!!! :ear
  2. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes these will be available soon ,they are just in the process of making some for me and some for safariburg for the Dakar. Once these are out of the way ,they will be taking orders.

Not sure of the final price ,but will be very competitive.

And yes custom designed (to suit me) ,they made a variety of jackets until we came up with what worked best ,with a very warm dakar in mind.
  3. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, Garry. Dune riding is what scares the shit out of me WRT the big rallies. :uhoh
  4. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    SafariBerg'

I've just hopped on board and read your thread! just awesome! :clap :clap and good luck :clap :clap

I thought I'd toss in a small suggestion as you were asking about training and workouts, etc... and there are some fantastic answers (I also have a background in exercise, and treating athletes of all levels) so I will hit a slightly different topic and not get too deep.

If you already know this and have it all sorted out, then disregard...

Water - or better yet, electrolytes. I am sure being from the Land Down Under you have used your fair share, but if you were planning on relying on Gatorade for your electrolyte needs over such a great distance I'd consider looking elsewhere. The product is not even close to ideal, the ratio of sodium and potassium is not as the body requires nor absorbs plus it is filled with all sorts of other crap (sweeteners, fillers, colouring - some even have hydrogenated vegetable oils - which your body can't break down).

What I suggest to my marathoners/ultra marathoners/ironmen, etc... as the majority of these guys rely on the water given at the water stations so they are often not bringing a sufficient amount of electrolytes with them on hand, at least pre-mixed in bottles. So there are products in tablet or pill form that you can take with you and takes minimal space, such as salt tablets - but they are also not the best as they do not take into consideration the correct ratios as well. For my athletes they will run with a tube or a bunch in a zip lock bag and take them every 30-60min or so while racing.

If you do not take any form of electrolyte and only drink water then you can suffer what is called Hyponutremia - basically you sweat out all your electrolytes, there will be a lack of muscle control, poor decision making, concentration... basically a very fast downward spiral - actually there is a case from a number of years ago where a world class marathoner died at the Boston Marathon (one of the meca marathon's) as she only drank water on the course, it was blazingly hot and she died due to hyponutremia.

The first thing I notice when I start to get low is a headache and then it progresses to my legs starting to feel really heavy...

I've no idea what sort of products you can get there, but here is a link to a site that explains it all really well and you can then use that info to try to source out something locally that fits.

Ironically the doctor that came up with the product I use was trained at the Sports Med Institute in Australia, but practices here in Toronto.

Link to Electrolyte Info

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and as I said, if you already know all this, then disregard.

D
  5. Motox

Motox Colombian Rider

Oddometer:
    These are Mastech Colombia faring parts. I'm also planning on ordering this for a new Berg 450.

Attached Files:

6. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    SafariBerg, I sure liked the idea of the FE 390 for technical trail work, but would you say it has enough power for the dunes? I really enjoy sand and dune riding and ride my RXV550 in the dunes. Just love the power there, nothing it can't climb, but I was wondering how the 390 would fare on the larger dunes. Haven't ridden one here, just the FE450 and 570, which I really liked.

I saw that some 250's managed to get through El Dakaro last year, did some of them have to bypass the giant dunes due to not enough power to climb them?
  7. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    At Dakar the 250's go same place everyone must go to follow the course

if it was a LOT of dune work I'd go 570 but I like grunt rather than revs, for general trail riding or single track the 390 is a VERY easy bike to ride and very forgiving, will it do dunes yes no probs esp once you adapt to smaller bore 4S style, it has way more grunt than a 250F, just not 650 or 570 style grunt which I'm used to riding

The perfect stable would be a 570 for the desert and a 390 for the woods, or one of the soon to be KTM 350's
  8. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

Thanks. Yes that would be awesome to have both FE's in the garage...

I am amazed the 250's made it up some of giant dunes I saw in the Eurosport Dakaro coverage last year, maybe light riders? or geared way down? Big grunt is great but in the tight stuff we typically ride in Washington Pacific Northwest you are only at about 1/4 throttle most times with the 500+cc bikes. The 390 seems like a great compromise for that stuff.

Looking forward to seeing your bike in El Dakaro '10!!
  9. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Hi Gary,

Quick question re the Safari tank (front one) for the 570 - does it fit the new FE390? I'm looking at buying one (FE390 that is).

Andrew
  10. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    yup no probs they are all exact the same

if I needed just one all rounder for general non-desert use I reckon the 390 would be it
  11. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Thanks, will have to get myself along to the Wanneroo dealer and have a closer look. Tossing up between it and a KTM400 EXC 2010. 390 is fuel injected, KTM isn't, hard to know what I should go for as they'd both be great bikes. I think you've proven the reliability of the Husaberg, but sounds like first job would be to replace the head gasket with a metal one if I remember your previous posts correctly?
  12. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    What an utterly cool thread, bike, and race effort. :bow

Best of luck at the Dakar - we'll be rootin' for ya', eh! :thumb

Cheers! E-Ticket
  13. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  14. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    for non-desert racing the stock one is fine, also there is a mod to do to the stock one which works well, but for your use it will be no issue as is

its only with sustained high speed over a few days a weak point shows up that needs prevention, but no big issue to fix.

buy - ride - never stop smiling is my prediction :D
  15. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to know what it is nonetheless, if I do the Safari Moto tour next year there's quite a bit of sustained high speed stuff if last year was anything to go by (we rode a lot of road and open gravel).

What's the oil volume in the engines? Is it separate gear and engine sumps? 400EXC is 600ml in each.
  16. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    no, just combined 1.5L all up, would recommend using Motul 300V 15w/50 Factoryline double ester, expensive but very cheap insurance.

General trail riding change every 1000km, even after a selective day on Safari it comes out pretty clean, change filter evey second oil change. Racing we change oil & filter every day
  17. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a better bet than the 600ml in the KTM for lonegvity. 1.5 is nearly the 1.7 that is in the DRZ combined!
  18. durofrank

durofrank durofrank

Oddometer:
    salu2 from spain
    [​IMG]
  19. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. My EXC has 600ml in the engine and 900ml in the gearbox so total is the same at 1.5lt. The difference is mine doesn't send the clutch fibres through the engine. I'd prefer my dedicated engine oil thanks. No problems with longevity after 70 odd hours so far.
  20. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    The KTM Sales Manager told me 600 in each....I would think you would know though JayBo1! :wink: So thanks for letting me know.

I thought the filter was supposed to catch the clutch fibres?

Anyway, not trying to turn Gary's thread into a EXC vs FE thread, so will PM you for your take on each before I buy anything.

Back to FE Safari bikes.....