Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    The kickstand is only designed for the weight of the bike, it is not intended to hold the weight of the rider also.

The majority of the failures I’ve seen are due to riders mounting the bike with the kickstand down by climbing on using the left footpeg, this stresses the bolt and eventually causes it to fail.
    Huskyfatman likes this.
  2. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    The first one (early this year) the bolt that holds the spring pulled out of the aluminum kickstand allowing all of the supporting pieces to fall off. Bought an OEM replacement and did exactly two rides. This past weekend the bike was parked in our campsite and the ground was just slightly soft allowing the kickstand to sink in an inch or so. I didn't think anything of it until the bike tipped over a few hours later. After picking it up I saw that the kickstand had broken right across the plane of the bolt which secures it to the frame.
    For the record, no I do not stand or sit on the bike while on the stand, use it to pivot the bike, or otherwise abuse the kickstand.
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been getting on my bike " John Wayne" style using the left footpeg and have not had any issues with the bolt breaking or the stand bending. But I always make sure the stand is on firm footing and I inspect/lubricate the bolt every now and then.
  4. PABiker

Oddometer:
    My statement wasn’t meant as an accusation, I was just stating my experience with this issue. My buddy owns a KTM dealership so I’ve seen my fair share of broken bikes, and the kickstand seems to be pretty high in the list for the dirt bikes.

FYI, the owners manual also makes a statement to this:

IMG_1301.jpg
  5. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, those two are just weird really. I can't believe it broke supporting the bike at your camp. And like you, I've never stood on a footpeg/kickstand to get on a bike.
  6. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Believe it. The bolt on older KTM can't be trusted.
    TavisB likes this.
  7. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    2000's era Husky 610 "steel" stands are actually made of silver painted rigatoni. I had one break while the paint shaker was idling in my driveway.

Had a bad weld break on my GF's '04 KTM stand mount, don't know how it held on as long as it did. The plastic foot on KTM stands do kinda suck.

We never mount bikes with the stands down, even street bikes, which gets me some strange looks.

PMB stands are nice and super stout, worth the weight. I've had two with no problems, wouldn't mind one on the 570.
  8. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Wus!
    Who reads the directions.
    LOL
    I get on all my bikes by stepping on the peg. Apparently then, my PM program has got me through my lapse in judgment.
    I guess this is like " what oil you using?"
    LOL
    All kidding aside, like I stated I always step on the peg to get on my bikes. I simply ensure the bike is parked on a firm surface preferably with any uphill slope on the stand side. I always make sure that the weight my foot places on the peg is straight down on the stand. Sideloading the stand is a bad idea. I give the set up a weight test before putting my full weight on it and keep myself balanced over the stand while swinging on.
    I did trash a stand getting off the bike without stepping on the peg. The buckle on my MX boot hooked something and down we went. With a little pratice, you'll master the " John Wayne" method.
  9. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Get a better bolt!
    bigbrad likes this.
  10. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Nah. Just rather get a new bike than replace old bolts. These stolen credit cards #s are a gold mine.

11. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Whats ADV on the Dark Web like?
  12. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Hacking cell phones is easier than tuning a carburetorated moto.
  13. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Meh, back in the day when I first started riding big bikes, we pretty much all had mx bikes-no kickstands, radiators, disc breaks-‘lectric starters and kickstands were fer street bikes! :gerg
  14. tom lurge

tom lurge What could possibly go wrong!

Oddometer:
    For those interested: this is the inside of a an exhaust with 3000 km and 90 hours. I had expected worse - or rather hoped, as replacing this stuff with new fillers will probably not reduce noise emissions very much.

Attached Files:

15. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    This thingy came with my 2011 FE 570. Looks like some fuel filtering device to me. Is it indeed, should I install it and if yes: where?

Attached Files:

16. PABiker

Oddometer:
    It was part of the emissions crap that came on the ‘11 model, toss it in the trash.
  17. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    That's harsh ;-) I'm not totally pro emissions so now I'm even more interested to know what this is...
  18. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Awful; just this post alone gave the endangered Spotted Tree Squirrels here headaches/nausea/and blurred vision. Our dung beetle population will never recover.
  19. PABiker

Oddometer:
    It’s called the SAS (Secondary Air System) valve, this should help:

Huskyfatman likes this.
  20. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    Thanks, very helpful! Is that US specific? I might actually install it next time I have to remove the radiator since I have the stock exhaust and the weight is negligible, however I wonder if it works well with my EU mapping.

And that impressive "evap" (if I understood that correctly) system: is it meant to prevent that slight but still unpleasant gasoline smell in my living room when I take the Berg inside? That would be something... but I would probably not want to invest a few hundred bucks into the required subframe.
    But nice how they managed to stuff it all in there. The wasted space in my subframe annoyes me a little. I am pondering the idea of opening it on the top and use it for spares etc.