Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'd appreciate some advice. Just getting time to pay attention to the 'Berg. 2101 FX450, 180ish hours.
    Less than 5 hours of usage ago, everything in the fuel system was perfected; tank cleaned, new filters, zip-ty, new injector, new fuel pump, TPS adjusted ........

So I went on a quick ride; ran perfect for about 10 minutes and stopped for about 10 minutes to do something. Started up perfectly, accelerated fine at first, then bogged and shut off. Only went about 30 meters and would not fire, cranked freely with no response from throttle.

I checked everything and got to the TPS adjustment. Max counter clockwise adjustment only produces .30 volts. Have to remove the torx screw and turn it about 30 more degrees to get .61 volts and obviously no way to secure it in this position.
    What is the solution here?
    Can I get the TPS separately or is it the whole Throttle body thing?
    Is it something I can rebuild?
    (slightly rhetorical here, I have the TPS removed for cleaning, but I would like input)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike,

on the 2010 FX450 throttle body diagram..(same part on all the other models too)

#5 , Part No. 81241077044, TPS KPL. 09 | 09 $126.59

funny thing is.. order it as a KTM part and it's about $30 CHEAPER! (on same website AOMC). it cross references to all the 250/350/450/500 bikes through 2016.
    mikejana likes this.
  3. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you gone through the electrical connections leading up to the TPS and verified it is getting voltage?

I know it isn't directly TPS related, but did you pull the plug and make sure it is firing while cranking the bike?

And, if ordering from AOMC make sure to use code "betariders" for an additional 10% off. At least I assume the code still works. I haven't tried it several months, but it has worked for years.
    TavisB and mikejana like this.
  4. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kyle,
    I would have definitely bought the $126.59 81241077044 instead of the $95.36 81241077044.

Thanks Joey, First thing I did was pulled the plug and checked for spark. Then the tank, cleaned all the connectors and made sure fuel pump was working. I put it all back together and nothing so, I'm sad to admit, gave it a shot of ether and it fired immediately. Then went back to reset TPS. So strange to me how you can get no ignition at all with a mis-set TPS.

I use betariders every time there, it still works.
  5. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    Very curious.

I wish the repair manual contained info on testing the TPS itself and not just info on setting it. I once had a carb'd YZ250F that had a TPS on the carb and the repair manual contained info on setting the TPS as well as testing it for faults.

Please let us know if the new TPS is the fix.
    mikejana likes this.
  6. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    @mikejana - Out of curiosity, when you had the TPS hooked to the multimeter, did you twist the throttle to see if the voltage increased smoothly until full throttle?
    mikejana likes this.
  7. mikejana

Oddometer:
    I did.
    I even hooked the tank up and tried get it to start while holding the TPS near the .61 volt mark, but it did not work for me.
  8. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you check the tank vent in the cap?
  9. mikejana

Oddometer:
    I did not. But I was a short push to a gas station and topped her off with no change.
  10. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    In case you weren’t aware, there was/were/are issues with the check ball in the oem cap causing venting issues resulting in vapor lock or pressure building inside the tank. It seems to be a fairly common practice to remove the check ball. Just be aware it could spill gas out of the vent with the bike on its side.

I removed the ball and replaced the vent hose with a clear fuel hose so I could see if the gas was boiling out or spilling.
    mikejana likes this.
  11. NoClassic

NoClassic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TPS sensor housing is known to allow moisture in which could cause problems. Some people will run silicone along the seam between the two sides of its housing.

Are you measuring the TPS voltage at the sensor itself or the primary ECU connector? ECU is usually your best bet as it is easier to access and get a good reading from. Check your primary battery ground before you go ahead with purchasing another sensor.
  12. mikejana

Oddometer:
    So, the new TPS sensor does the same. I actually noticed that both sensors are registering negative voltage; yes negative lead to black, good continuity to ground and positive lead to yellow. Tried it with 2 different batteries with no great change. I'm measuring at the ECU connector.

Suggestions appreciated.
    I have a new battery to be delivered here tomorrow.
  13. NoClassic

Oddometer:
    Are you powering the control system by bridging the two diagnostic pins when testing the TPS? All of that sounds really strange/the test is not being performed properly.
  14. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Yes, bridging black/white and brown wires on the diagnostic port, pins 5 & 6.
    I'm fallible, but I've done it before successfully.

This bike has had some gremlins that I've been exorcising.
    It was well sorted in it's early life, but I bought it from a teenager about to trade it in at a Yamaha Shop.
    He didn't know what he had, his brother got it from an estate sale.
  15. NoClassic

Oddometer:
    So weird

May be time to have a look at the complete wiring harness.
  16. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Mine actually came with a spare wiring harness, I've already swapped with much improvement until now.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing until I priced a new one - $419.03.
    I'd go for the 2011 FS570 harness and get all the goodies for $447.19, or part out my bike.
  17. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've put in a help desk request to my EE buddy, he's crazy smart and has walked me through more than a couple electrical issues. He's not just nerdy EE smart, he's also a motorcyclist and has done things like built his own bluetooth capable quick shifters for track day bikes.
    mikejana likes this.
  18. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Kyle.
  19. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    so how does bluetooth + quickshifter work?
  20. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    I Phone only?