Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    20191102_134113.jpg 20191102_142459.jpg 20191019_104646.jpg 20191109_112114.jpg
    jdubb75 likes this.
  2. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not 70 degree material.... but
    If y'all like rally racing, or just some great motorcycle stories.. help fund the media program for Lyndon Poskitts Races 2 Places Africa ECO race. 20 min videos each day is what he's hoping for. To see how great it could be, check out Races 2 Places 2018 Dakar Rally coverage YouTube, Lyndon rode in the Malle Moto category 2nd year in a row. I'm going to toss in a little bit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lyndonposkitt/team-races-2-places-race-2-dakar-live-africa-eco-race?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=lyndon poskitt
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    20191117_181139.jpg hdr_00062_0.jpg hdr_00057_0.jpg hdr_00067_0.jpg
    Dao1, Dualsport4ever and jdubb75 like this.
  4. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    On my FE390:

Where is the pulse coil is located?

Where is the crankshaft position sensor located?

Yes another non starting, sometimes runs but dies 70 degree bike-seems to be a norm with these bikes eh?
    I've replaced the fuel pump, and in-tank filter after it left me stranded. Sometimes it will start up and run for a few seconds before dying, most times it won't even start after I did these things. I have good spark and flow from the fuel line of the tank. Injector appears to be spraying properly. The crankshaft position sensor and pulse coil are the only things left I can think to check.
  5. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's the norm with these bikes. They were the first foray into EFI dirt bikes and then KTM dropped them like a hot potato. Any issues with the 70° Bergs likely can be crossed over to the 2012+ KTM EFI four strokes. A lot of them had the same bugs to work out.

Maybe you know this, maybe you don't, but sorting problems on any EFI bike can be more tricky and usually requires more than a "looks good" diagnosis when checking things out.

What voltage is the TPS set at?
    What is the fuel pressure?

Here is a link to the repair manual.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_X2MDkeGC0hcEM2S1c4SFE5ZHM
    AUSSIEADV, mikejana and Dao1 like this.
  6. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Much thanks for the manual
  7. scott123007

scott123007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the identical problem with my FX450. I replaced in this order, the fuel pump, fuel filter, injector, plug cap, and pulser coil. I had ordered a spark plug, but only as a back-up because it was sparking fine and the symptoms of starting and running fine for a few seconds and then suddenly dying, or running for minutes and then dying, or not wanting to start at all, did not seem consistent with anything I have encountered with a spark plug before. But, lo and behold, since I have installed that frigging spark plug, it has not missed a beat in 500 miles. Go figure...

P.S. The pulser coil is located behind the cover in front of your gear shifter. It is external of the flywheel and easy to replace, but try a NEW spark plug first, before you change that.
  8. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Thanks brother! I'll try that and see what happens. I'm going to check the TPS voltage first just for good measure. I've already cleaned the injector and replaced all the filters including pump. It is pumping gas just fine, the thing has spark when I tried a different plug but I'll give her a god with a new plug.
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    468063D0-27FE-4EA7-8FC0-2D7A75870987.jpeg C7584F32-C14E-4306-89C8-0CAAC0608D4C.jpeg F3012F82-9DF6-4F74-ADB1-7E0D80344D90.jpeg D2506C0A-D1AE-47FA-AB49-F9004542858F.jpeg
    Dualsport4ever likes this.
  10. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2010 FX450,

Way beyond frustration level here, I started asking for help months ago:
    She was running fine with all the new regular fuel parts in place. On a quick trip to the auto parts store she ran great on the way and sat for less than 10 minutes. For the return she started right up and went about 30 meters to a stop sign, on acceleration I got a few feet and she died; just blaaaaaaaah.

I've probably got 40-50 hours into this problem. TPS at idle is about .38 volts. 3 TPS' all the same. Also the same with 2 different ECUs. I removed the harness and tested all the wires without finding a short or break.

I've even elongated the adjustment channel on the new TPS and still can't turn it enough to get it in the correct range.

I'm thinking I've ruled out electrical, would a new throttle body be the next best shot? It's hard to throw $500 at, especially for a guess.

Does anyone know which Florida locations used to be Husaberg dealers?
  11. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    TPS sensor may be may be bad or your battery weak. You are way off on the voltage. 0.62 to 0.64 reading is needed.
  12. sorethumb

sorethumb Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Oddometer:
    Just picked up an 2009 FE570 with 40 hours. Looking for a cush hub and tank insulation (thanks forum!) and any other advice y'all got for me. This thing is a hoot!

00I0I_34wOceSI3pn_1200x900.jpg

01515_b0i8UCRRIbv_1200x900.jpg
  13. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    I've tried 3 throttle position sensors, all three act the same. Including the new one.
    Voltage is good, I've tried 2 batteries and most of my attempts have had a battery charger connected.
  14. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Congrats!
    Looks like an awesome ride.
    I guess you bought the one in Richmond ?
  15. Indy Unlimited

Oddometer:
    Well Mikejana it seems you hit a tough one to diagnose. I think the TPS unit is supposed to get 5 Volts feed to it from the ECU. If you are getting less that may be the reason all TPS units are reading bad. Let me know if you need a stock ECU. I have been running the Vortex since 2012 on mine and the stock ECU is just a back up for me.
  16. mikejana

Oddometer:
  17. Indy Unlimited

Oddometer:
    Yeah That is a real tough situation to diagnose. Sorry cant think of anything else to try.
  18. sorethumb

sorethumb Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Oddometer:
    @mikejana, I did. The 70* Adventure thread sold me on the reliability and then worked out a deal I couldn't turn down.
  19. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mikejana . This also makes me wonder about where the initial voltage comes from, as in on the 640s (2000s anyway), turns out the 3-phase alternator supplied the very low voltage current to the ECU. When my alternator went bad (screw backed out and just shorted one phase) the bike was running fine (high rpm, supplied enough voltage). I shut the bike off at a stop and that was it, no way to start bike, battery, kick, or bump. When we got home my EE buddy then figured out that was it, was never getting enough voltage to the ECU to make it work at "starting" rpm. So long story short, not knowing exactly how electricity gets to the ECU on this bike and how it then distributes to FI, maybe it's something upstream of the ECU, like an alternator, VRR, or ignition pickup? Just thinking out loud is all. You've probably tested all that stuff by now.
    mikejana likes this.
  20. NoClassic

NoClassic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @mikejana

Have your tested the TPS sensor while not attached to the throttle but plugged into the engine harness? If you can set it to the factory idle voltage and attempt a start it could help determine if the TPS or another system is the problem.