1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was to go on a trip to Cloud Croft this month but was scared off by the NMex. state travel restrictions due to COVID.
    Did you have any issues with that at all?
    For info for next year, what trails did you ride and how difficult were they?
  2. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We didnt have any covid problems whatsoever.

Our 1st group prepped heavily to camp for the entire trip, at the end of Alamo peak Rd, next to the lookout tower.
    2nd group out of Houston/Conroe/Magnolia all huddled in a Cloucroft motel.

We rode the rim trail (T105) everyday. It's 33 miles long, and as you go south, the trail gets more difficult, from B to A level.

We also rode from our campsite up in Alamo Peak taking the (T109) all the way down to Alamogordo on the (T104). The T109 is B to A level, and the T104 is A to AA level trail. Once we got down to the big city, we pavement back up to Cloudcroft. So a plated dirt bike is worth its weight in gold, b/c going back up the T104 & T109 is like riding Erzberg.

Some C trails are Benson Ridge, Cox Canyon, Karr Canyon.

In Cloudcroft, stop by the visitor center, pick up the free map and the list of trails w/ level of difficulty shown.
  3. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Were you with Bill Click and his group?
    F
  4. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, we rode w/ bclick & all of them 1st day they arrived.
    and w/ Ronnie (beta dealer) & a couple others two of the days I was there. my buddy who knows that area very well rode with them all 3 days. I'm sure they got their money's worth.:lol3
  5. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall weather's just around the corner!
    [​IMG]

Gettin' the mighty berg ready for some long distance enduro riding & camping :clap

[​IMG]

fresh new gummy knobs - check:clap
    [​IMG]
    2ndGen likes this.
  6. tom lurge

tom lurge What could possibly go wrong!

Oddometer:
    Enduristan saddlebags! I have the same. Had them sitting a few centimeters further to the front and still a little hot on the right side. It sucks a bit that the straps can't be run under the seat as they sit exactly where my butt would want all the comfort for itself.
  7. Sunaj

Sunaj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have the Blizzards as well, destroyed them in the very first spill on sand though... Front connection strap ripped clean off.
  8. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    East coast tractor tire.
    DOTs..? We don't need no stinking DOTs 20200927_073150.jpg 20200927_073548.jpg
  9. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    20200802_120418.jpg 20200907_110819.jpg
    Dao1 likes this.
  10. 2ndGen

2ndGen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. With pics like that you make me want to keep my 570. You’re fully loaded! I’ve done one trip like that and the Berg handled it great. Super fun. I only worry about high mileage reliability out in the middle of nowhere. Never really had an issue besides the typical fuel pump failure but that was a 5 hour waiting game. Luckily not deep in the trails. 400 hours on mine and a possibility of some ham fisted wrenching (or no wrenching, arguably worse) by a previous owner makes me a bit uneasy.
    Cloudryder and Dao1 like this.
  11. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i know what you mean. a couple yrs ago, i got spooked about not having enough fuel to d/s, i installed a safari gas tank on my 390.....
    [​IMG]

only to find out a 390 don't really need that monster safari tank.

UP in the mountains this last weekend, we did a 145 mile d/s loop that took us all day. I carried two msr bottles, and w/ stock tank @2.2 gal , only needed one bottle to get me all the way home.
    Cruz, 2ndGen and woods wizard like this.
  12. 2ndGen

2ndGen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0166.jpg
    My solution in that regard was a 2 gallon fuel bladder (on the top/rear in the pic) that worked ok but shifted around a bunch as I was riding and was impossible to pour from without getting gas all over. I think I could’ve put a nozzle on it and found a better way to attach it. Either way with the subframe tank I never really needed it, but it made me feel better. It was stolen with my Berg. Got the bike back with a twisted front end. Luckily only the triples were slightly out and it was easily put back in shape. The Berg and I have a sordid history! No love lost but it’s complicated. Ha.
    Dao1 likes this.
  13. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    I got Karoo 3 tires mounted but I want something even more street oriented, because: vibrations... - I'd like to see (feel) how much of a difference the tires make. Although it's a tough decision to give up so much offroadability it's also realistic as I'm doing mostly street, for now anyway.
    However... I got second thoughts if tires like the Heidenau K60 scout are really a good fit for the narrow 1.6/2.15 rims. The Motoz site is the only place where I found recommendations for which tire fits on which rim and they provide slightly road-oriented tires like the Motoz Tractionator Adventure and the Rallz in tube type versions for lightweight adventure bikes. Only for those they recommend the narrow rim sizes. But already for the Tractionator GPS which would be my favorite they advice 2.15/3.5. I can just assume that tires like the Heidenau K60 Scout or Mitas 07 are built for the same (and/or wider) rim sizes. Added complication: Heidenau and Mitas are easy to get around here while the Motoz Tractionator Adventure and Rallz are sold out in the sizes I need all over Europe.
    So if someone here has experience with onroad-oriented tires I'd gladly take some advice (and oil too, of course ;-)
  14. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    K60 are scary hard, just say no. Mitas 07 is much better (or 09 or 10). Can you find Mefo? I ran several Super Explorers on my 640, fantastic tire. My thought is that any tire that is appropriate for a 2.5 inch rear is fine on a 2.15 rear. Another choice, GT 723, but I think they are all being made in PRC now, so that's a no for me.
  15. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    I know K60 are hard, that's part of the exercise ;-) But I'm leaning towards Mitas 07 too as they also come standard on the KTM 690 so are at least not totally out of place on our rim sizes. Mitas 09 and 10 wouldn't fit the primary criterion 'road oriented'. I know little about the Mefo Super Explorer - it is available around here but seems to be more offroad oriented too, comparable to the TKC 80.
    But in the meantime I checked the polish distributor's site AGAIN and accidently figured out that they list tires by production run... they do indeed have a new pair of Motoz Tractionator Adventure TT whereas only the old ones from last year are sold out :-) So I tried to order, in polish (ahem) - now let's see if that works out!
  16. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mitas E09s are great 50/50 tire
  17. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Moab riding is so much fun

PXL_20201003_150843480.jpg
    woods wizard and Thumperama like this.
  18. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Michelin Desert Race is a stellar tire.
    It seems you are never disappointed with Michelins.
    kvango and kanur like this.
  19. floyd_of_oz

floyd_of_oz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever fabricated a rear subframe tank out of aluminum? I.e completely replace the stock subframe with an alloy fuel tank?
    Seriously want an FE570 but the fuel range puts me off - and nearly $1k for a Safari front tank that actually holds less than the stock tank seems sub optimal...
    Maybe Desert Fox bladders strapped to the sides of the tank would be the best el cheapo option for longer rides.
  20. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Safari front tank holds 2gal. The stock 2gal. tank stays in place when you add the Safari, so you now have 4gal. This gets me 200mi. on my FX450.

The Safari is pricey (I got lucky w/ finding a used one), but the end result has exactly the right kind of range for a dual sport.

The subframe tank option adds 1gal, giving you a total of 3gal. Advantage - bike still has slim main tank, disadvantage - it's only adding 1gal.

I have used fuel bottles before, they are a pain to fill, pour out of, store and sooner or later they will leak/stink. I think a fuel bladder would be even worse, except being easier to store when empty.

Youse payes your $$ and makes your choice.

In an ideal world, my bike would have both Safari and subframe tanks added for a range of 250mi.