Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. SuzukiDoctor650

SuzukiDoctor650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was listed and titled as a '11, is there any way to tell by looking at vin?
  2. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to shed some light on the matter, 2012 models weren't sold in the US. They were the only model year of 70° Husaberg to have a yellow frame. It is not impossible to import one and get it plated, but chances are your frame has just been painted like the 2012's. I haven't looked into decoding the Husaberg VINs to know which characters stood for what.
  3. SuzukiDoctor650

Oddometer:
    Ok, VIN background check says 2011. The guys I bought it from does actually import bikes and is from Netherlands but I think that's mere coincidence.
  4. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 FE390 that I imported from Coff's Harbour Australia to Florida a couple years ago.

FWIW, they would only register it as a 2011 because the 2012 was never approved for import to the USA.
    My build date was 2011 and I think this was the Motor Vehicle inspector doing us a favor.
    jdubb75 likes this.
  5. SuzukiDoctor650

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I will have to research and talk to previous owner a little bit more about the bike.
  6. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
  7. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
  8. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    @mikejana @SuzukiDoctor650

One other thing the 2012's had that was unique is the color of the fuel tank. It was white/translucent instead of the gray color used on previous years. Also, the screws holding on the shrouds were coarse thread and screwed directly into the plastic instead of the fine thread screws that screwed into brass inserts on previous fuel tanks.
    mikejana likes this.
  9. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 2010 and has the translucent tank and coarse screws .
    It is a European market so might be different in other markets
    jdubb75 likes this.
  10. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    Good point. There were definitely some differences in the Euro vs US spec bikes.
  11. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. tom lurge

tom lurge What could possibly go wrong!

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I bought the instrument and ... am rather underwhelmed. It plugs into absoluetly no wiring of the Berg whatsoever, not even for power supply. TrailTech support could have known that IMHO. It uses its own speedo sensor so the OEM one has to go. That means hours and miles/kilometers won't be recorded on the bikes hardware (I don't know if the Berg records this info in the speedo or in that little computer under the seat). There is no way to set the hours and miles/km's the Berg has already done. Temperature readout was easy to install and very helpful, voltage would have been nice too (I knew that before but still...). The thing works from battery when no power is supplied by the bike which is nice (especially as my cabling proved unsufficient during the tour). I didn't get the RPM meter to show sensible values. I didn't spend very much time trying either as I had already decided not to keep it but I think I did everything the manual suggested. It has 3 different screens and doesn't remember which one you chose last time when powering up. So, all in all, I was disappointed. I was glad about the temperature readout from the engine as my radiator cap was leaking (that would be another post) and teh engine heated up too fast, but I would have loved to have some entertaining RPM display. And I definitely don't want to loose the hours and miles/km's history - so I had it installed alomgside (or rather above) the OEM speedo. It will be replaced soon by a KOSO instrument that shows RPM, temperature AND voltage. We'll see how that goes. If someone is interested in a very well preserved unit...
  13. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    Before the TrailTech Vapor I had installed this little thing: a radiator cap with thermometer. Thought this would be nice to have and prudent and all, but ... never change a running system! It didn't properly cope with the pressure in the system and lost a lot of coolant. At one point actually almost all of it. Compared to the TrailTech Vapor it also showed a 20° Celsius higher temperature but I can only guess who's right. Anyway, loosing coolant is not a prudent approach at all so it went into the trash. The KOSO instrument will have a temperature sensor inside the hose which sounds like the most precise way to measure (but those can be off too I heard...).
  14. tom lurge

Oddometer:
    And I also installed a One Light Clutch from Clake. I didn't have my expectations too high. To be honest I gave it a 50/50 chance of being snake oil, but as my left wrist lately tended to collapse increasingly quickly when having to pull the clutch lever long and often in traffic jams and just regular inner city traffic (which unfortunately is where I live) I decided to risk it. Still much cheaper than a Rekluse... And to my great amazement it actually works! It can be adjusted to require so little effort that one nearly has to push the lever back out ;-) I really love that thing! Best investment on that bike, even better than the cush hub rear wheel – well, on par, but still! I was already checking Honda's DCT offerings... Have done 2500 km with it now and it works flawlessly.
  15. SuzukiDoctor650

Oddometer:
    So prior to my berg ownership I had to put an electric odometer on my DR650 after the stock analog one smashed when I went down. It does have rpm read out as it branches from the spark plug, it measures every pulse. However, even with a new battery my trail tech shuts off after I turn the key off and memory is reset. I'll have to try another new battery (on DR650).

I was pretty disheartened to travel all the way to pick up the berg only to find the berg had one installed on it as well. Now I don't know the true mileage or hrs of the bike and its just a wonky piece of equipment and my head ache around trail tech continues. I know I'll just have to dial it all back in or invest into a better piece of equipment.

The original odometer was included on my berg purchase, but there is no memory on it and no other equipment with it to install again. I know some people are impressed with the trail tech when everything is dialed it, I'm not sure if mine is accurate bc he also had a sumo setup (that was included on the purchase).. So I have some digging to do. I want to like it..

Here is a link to the trail tech vapor manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/791937/Trail-Tech-Vapor.html
  16. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Fx450 has a trail tech on it. Motocrosser so it came naked with only an hour meter.
    I added the trail tech for registration purposes.
    I have the endurance which is really basic, I bought it used without a manual.
    I called trail tech and they told me how to set it up, don't remember the procedures,
    but I was able to set hours to match my hour meter and "guestimate" a mileage.
    SuzukiDoctor650 likes this.
  17. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    On the subject of Trail Tech , does anyone use the one w the GPS feature ?
    Is it useful ? Worth the cash ?
    SuzukiDoctor650 likes this.
  18. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one time i used its gps feature, accessing gps was quite archaic/ancient in its interface, I had to invoke several commands to access it from the console, and it requires a micro sd card to save/store/access tracks and access your topical & street layer.

[​IMG]

the free gps app for my phone i've been using, osmand, is far more intuitive, more powerful, and stores right on the phone's drive which then can easily be uploaded to cloud to be retrieved on other devices in the snap of a finger and shared to your riding buds effortlessly. That alone is a good reason for me to keep using it instead of the gps on the voyager. however, app also comes w/ free downloads of detailed topo and street maps. Free, in any country. i downloaded one for mexico , it covers the entire continent w/ street names, gas stations, and i could hear the turn instructions if i switched to routes mode, plus it comes w/ topo, elevations, grid lines as well.

But other features of the voyager are nice to have even though i think it's overkill on a plated woods/enduro dirtbike. THe primary features I use the most are the coolant temp, trip resets, engine hr and voltage whereas the 2ndary features are the rpm gauge ( useful for tweaking my air screw & idle on the carb,) and speedometer when i'm on the road.
    woods wizard likes this.
  19. jdubb75

Oddometer:
    I don't know what changes they may have made to the newer versions, but I had a buddy that got one a handful of years ago and I think he spent more time fiddling with it than riding. Like @Dao1 said, it seemed cumbersome to navigate through functions and such. It was kind of aggravating riding with him because he was stopping a lot to fool with it. Like, long enough that I would just shut my bike down to keep it from getting too hot while idling. I usually use Gaia GPS on my phone when I need a gps.
    woods wizard likes this.
  20. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive got myself a 70 degree rear subframe tank.... :)
    Just some questions....
    Theres a fuel line and quick release, that plugs into the corresponding fuel line on the front (normal/factory) tank that came with it.
    So at a guess... is that a transfer pump?
    How does it work? In terms of fuel transfer etc? Does it just equally drain/pump fuel from both tanks at once?
    Theres a vent tube outlet at the top, and I guess you fill the tank by the large plastic screw fitting on the RHS... can you get more fuel in it by laying the bike over to the left a touch (or a lot?) seems that way.

Edit:
    Google just found this for me:

https://aomc.mx/mm5/graphics/00000001/subframetank.pdf

So its basically gravity feed and drain as the main tank fills.
    Should all be good