Husky 701 build for good road manners and shorter inseam feedback

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by aprikh1, Aug 21, 2021.

1. aprikh1

aprikh1 So long and thanks for all the fish

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

I was hoping the forum could provide some feedback regarding my Husky 701 build plans. My current motorcycle stable consists of a 2018 Honda Goldwing and a Ducati Scrambler. I would like to replace the Ducati with something that’s both fun on road, as well as capable of doing my local BDRs and the TAT off-road. Unfortunately, to grow my bike stable to three bikes is a non-starter with my wife, so my limit is two bikes. I have owned and ridden larger ADV bikes off-road, and do not wish to wrestle with 550lb beasts anymore.

I recently rode the KTM 390, and found the size and weight to be great; however, the anemic power not so much. The 390 would definitely not match the road dynamics of my Ducati, so pass. Next option for consideration would be the Husky 701.

The idea would be to source a used example and to modify it to work with my 5’9” height and 29” inseam. I would lower the bike 50MM using the Moto Lab suspension kit and replace the stock 21/18 wheel combo with Woody’s Wheels 19/17 set. This should easily lower the bike 2”, plus sag, and allow me to get both feet down. Most of the riding I do is solo, as such, my appetite for risk and shenanigans is low, and the trade off between the loss in ground clearance vs. being able to get both feet on the ground and better road manners is worth it to me.

Lastly, to finish painting the picture, I live in MD. Most of off-road riding is at least 3hrs away, and whenever I do the BDRs, I would ride the bike back on the hwy. Aside from riding the bike a few times a year for BDRs/ TAT, it would be used to putter around local backroads.

What do you folks think? Does the above logic makes sense, or am I shooting myself in the foot?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. aprikh1

aprikh1 So long and thanks for all the fish

Oddometer:
    Mods, please delete this thread. I posted this into the Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro! thread, which is a more appropriate place for my question. Thanks a bunch!