Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    So far from what I have read the suspension can be relatively easily adapted
    See here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/yz-wr-kayaba-fork-conversion-on-a-terra.84327/ @Aquatic is active on here and you can buy the axle conversion kit
    I was umming and aahing between these two
    9K miles well sorted
    s-l1600 (16).jpg
    320 miles A2 license restricted owner never got his license since I got the F650GS wheels I could easily convert it to a Terra but that means it probably is still running on the crap firmware
    s-l1600 (15).jpg

If you want to increase its range Safari still sells the tank that increases capacity to 32 liters
    [​IMG]

Reading below you can probably bolt in a KTM front end
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/steering-head-bearings-details.85667/
    The shock might be another story
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw those Safari tanks and like them but not sure I need them for my purposes...the terra gets good mileage on it's small tank. How much for that Terra you're looking at? It's got the BR racks and tail rack (altrider?), handguards and aux lighting. Seems like it would be similar to what I'd be looking to do to one. I like the black Strada color better but I would want the 18/21 spoked wheels (and high fender). The GS is already 19/17 so that's covered. There's a Strada at regional powersports dealer that is fully farkled---husky panniers (huge), it's got spoked wheels look like 19/17 Excel rims (black). They want $7k for the bike and are advertising it as a Terra. I kinda want to go in and tell them it's a Strada to get the price down but then they'll bump the price because of the aftermarket wheels ;-) The bike sold new for $7k...

The one I'm looking at is bone stock with 10k miles but has had the software fix. Pod mod hasn't been done, no handguards, like it came from the factory floor. $4k.

edit: never mind on sharing the price I just saw it in your earlier post...you are in UK so our markets are different.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    £3,995.00 for the Terra sold quickly
    £3,450.00 for the Strada dropped his price already from £3,950.00
    Wheels I am talking about is a set of Woody's wheel works 21/18 wit red hubs

Wheels.jpg
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are sweet wheels and would look hot on that Strada dba Terra.
  5. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the moment I am equipping my Strada for some serious touring. Trax ADV panniers (37l black) will be ordered as soon as I get either my vacation pay or tax refund. I will get a custom seat and I would like to do something about the windshield.

Right now I have the standard windshield and it does a reasonably good job for it's size, but I would like something bigger. Screensforbikes in Australia make some, but they won't ship to Europe and Madstad is ridiciously expensive considering the choice of material (acrylic) and the shipping and import fees. Everything together would be close to €400 or $500. I have screwed around with some DIY plastic mods (garbage can mod) but this looks very cheap.

Now I am considering the SWM superdual windscreen (mounted to the upper fork clamp bolts). It looks really sturdy and ~€180 for the complete kit is considerably cheaper (including shipping, no import fees within Europe).
    [​IMG]

The fella's over at Cafe Husky already tried it for the TE610/630 and it seems to fit (with SWM headlight mask instead of the original). Anyone tried it on our TR's?
  6. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted a similer post on Cafe Husky TR650 interchange parts list page.
    Hope to keep access for replacement parts for a long time.This bike does a lot of things extremely well.
    If I understand it correctly, KTM should supply replacement parts for at least ten years per EU regulations ???
    Hopefully we can find interchange, after market or modifications to keep the bike going. Maybe if something comes up we can approch manufacturers as a group.
  7. Pacificus

Pacificus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to replace the bushings, and oil in my forks. Could someone please tell me what bushings (type, number, and size) I need; what type of fork oil, and how much fork oil, please?
  8. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bushings or seals?

It's a Sachs 46mm fork. Husqvarna part numbers are

11 8539717 Bushing set
    12 8539718 Dust seal
    13 8539719 Oil seal

https://shop.italhusky.com/en/products/2014/tr-650-terra-strada/front-fork-assembly-53

stock fork oil is about 450ml SAE5 in each leg but you may want to change volume and/or viscosity.
    If your fork hasn't lost too much oil yet better measure the oil level and how much you get out on each side.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/husk...uestions-thread.850525/page-141#post-23286707
    glitch_oz likes this.
  9. Pacificus

Oddometer:

Thanks. It's bushings I need. In the UK, bikes (over three years old) are tested (MOT test) annually. In the last test, the mechanic told me the forks are a bit wobbly and need new bushings (not to the point of test failure). There's no oil leakage but the oil's never been changed, so I'm going to get all jobs done at the same time.

Before posting here about this, I contacted the local Husqvarna dealer to ask for some bushings but was told they are no longer available. I don't think they are available from the shop you kindly linked me to, as they are listed as £0. I'm sure I can get some bushings, if I know how big they need to be, and the quantity needed.
  10. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like two bushings per leg. Not sure if the upper and lower are the same.

These may still be in stock, at least they allow to check out.

https://huskymoto.co.uk/products/8539717

Otherwise these for a Sachs 46mm fork may fit

https://store.ktechsuspension.com/f...s-46mm-upper-min-order-qty-10-ndu46102-0.html
    Rotax655 and glitch_oz like this.
  11. Pacificus

Oddometer:
  12. Eblick

Eblick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get the dimensions for this?
  13. Pacificus

Oddometer:
    Would a 3M vinyl wrap, covering the red and white plastics, be strong enough to cope with riding through woodland? I don't trust paint on plastics, and can't think of any other solution.
  14. Ro0K

Ro0K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Terra came to me wrapped over 5 years ago and has held up well. The high wear corners have seen the vinyl wrap fail, but for what I put the bike through I've been very impressed with it. One day I will redo it. Attached pic will show some of the bleed through.

Attached Files:

15. Pacificus

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looks good! That's the exact same colour I have in mind. Maybe there's a way to reinforce the corners. I'll do some research.
  16. Pacificus

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some grease to lube wheel bearings, and the swing-arm pivot bolt. The user manual states Castrol LM Grease 2, but I can't find any online. What should I use instead, please? Castrol's website for the UK is beyond useless.
  17. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Not a TR owner....but. I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone could feel fork bushing wear, especially without seals leaking. Fork bushing wear layer is usually several microns of teflon style polymer. If they wear significantly past that, they start to wear the stanchion tube, which is not good. More likely it would be steering head bearings.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  18. Pacificus

Oddometer:
    Thanks. There was an abnormal noise produced when the mechanic pushed down hard on the forks. He asked his more experienced father, who said it was wear in the bushes. I'll put the bike on a jack and wiggle the front end a bit to see if there's any movement in the steering bearings.
  19. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed my ($45, / €38,-) Aliexpress windshield today. Quality of the windshield itself is great and everything is packed really neatly. Unfortunately, the mounting hardware is made of soft plastic, so upon tightening everything you go through the plastic very easily. Had to rig something myself at a few spots.

In the end it works very well and it looks pretty good too. Due to a little space in between the bike and the screen there is almost no turbulence either :clap.
    Might fix it to two of the mounting points for the OEM screen later on to reduce the shaking of the screen a bit, but for now it doesn't bother me to much. IMG_20210523_170541 no plate.jpg IMG_20210523_170557.jpg Voor ali jonge.jpg

Link for those interested: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000260738899.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.71ce4c4dkSSswZ
    Rotax655 and Ogre_fl like this.
  20. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the SWM ( Speedy Working Motorcycles ) motorcyles ? Watched a video about the company. If I understood it correctly, the company is located in Italy and has a lot of the original people that worked for Husqvarna. The plant is located where the Terras and Stradas were manifacured. Looks a lot like the original bikes. Wonder if any of the parts are interchangible ?