Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

As for the PodMod...I had the same thoughts as you. Seeing that hacksaw blade chomping through the airbox lid made me shit bricks for a while (make SURE!!!! of taping/strapping/cable-tying etc that throttle grip to your brake lever on the bars!!!! to prevent any crap/ sawdust dropping into an open intake-butterfly).

In hindsight it was THE most essential and effective fix ever done on that bike (riding a lot of dirt and dust over here in OZ).....apart from the factory ECU recall.
    As an urban "roadie" in Europe/US? I wouldn't bother...
    But being a Kraut, I'd still do it "to make things right and proper".
    LazyR and Stuntdude like this.
  2. Stuntdude

Stuntdude The Big "C"

Oddometer:
    Very nice setup.
    As with the pod mod. When you and the bike eventually part ways. A dealer will look down on the mod, and devalue it.
    If you sell privately to a enthusiast you wont lose.
    A lot depends where you ride. But regardless, buy a scope camera and check for dust leaks at every service.
    Enjoy
    LazyR and glitch_oz like this.
  3. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just this week I tried the Dutch part of the Trans Euro Trail. they warned me that there would be a lot of sand but jeez, I kind of underestimated it still. I live a little bit higher above sea level so unpaved stuff around me is either hardpack (80%), mud and dirt (15%) or rocks. Barely any sand. I carried too much luggage with me to really enjoy it. That coupled with some physical uncomfort made me decide to head home and try again at a later time.

The bike handles well on road with luggage, it takes some getting used to, but you can still throw it around really well. Speeds above 120 km/h are not as pleasant but I assume this can be solved mostly with the correct preload setting. Hardpack is no problem at all, but I struggled in the sand. I made some mistakes with luggage too, for example, next time within the Netherlands I am going to leave my heavy chain lock at home. Also will be looking for a different camping stove, so I can store more weight down low in the side cases (perhaps leave the roll at home entirely). If I plan my campsites out well, I might even go for soft luggage for more off road oriented trips.

Lastly I am again looking hard for a second set of wheels for an easy swap when doing this kind of riding. The Pirelli Rally STR are certainly not a let down, they perform really well on twisty pavement (realistically most of my riding) and considering the conditions, they were not too bad in the sand either.

IMG_20210812_160752.jpg
    IMG_20210812_141451.jpg

Learned a lot from riding in sand though. Practising "floating" the front wheel and using gas/rear brake to corner in order to get the miles going :)

EDIT: about the Pod mod: the dealership I bought it from (Moto Guzzi) knew absolutely nothing about the bike, with a rare bike like this, I expect this to be the case in many places.

Still: at the moment there is no bike I would trade it in for (save for a 701 Enduro with the double balancer shaft). Those models are really new and barely for sale around here, let alone for a price I can afford. To compare: the cost of the TR and every mod and bit of maintenance I did/have had done on it together wouldn't buy me a second hand 701 with 0 farkles. The only other option I'd consider would be a Versys X-400 but I don't see Kawasaki making one soon.

That being said, if I want to enjoy this bike for a few more years the Pod Mod is definitely a must :-)
    glitch_oz and Stuntdude like this.
  4. Pacificus

Pacificus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found an unused rear suspension spring in my attic. I'm wondering if it'll fit the TR650. It's 220-80; internal diameter is 61 mm; external diameter is ~86 mm. I bought it years ago for a KLR 250 but it didn't fit. Also, does anyone recognise the "RACING" logo, and could tell me the make, please?

IMG_20210825_163508.jpg
  5. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I just got the bike I experienced a slight front wobble at speeds. Due to a more relaxed grip on the handlebars, better tires and good monitoring of tire pressure that has become basically a non-issue. I only experience this with speeds above 130 km/h in conditions with considerable head- or crosswinds.

Lately I am noticing that, whenever I put my hard panniers (SW Motech Trax Adventure 37L) on the bike (even with minimal load), the front tends to get light. Today I also decided to try out the windscreen I bought from Glitch Oz and this made it even worse. I suspect it has to do with air more than actual weight distribution. It occurs only in windy conditions.The riding school's BMW G650GS had a similiar problem all the way back in 2014. Haven't experienced this on any bike since (until now). In the summer I don't need a screen (I actually really enjoy riding without one). It is pretty nice when it is colder though. I really like the hard panniers for long trips, for the occasional commute or when I am visiting a friend of mine in his tiny city appartment so I can leave my boots, jacket and tank bag in my panniers.

Is there any way to mitigate this issue? Only things I can think of are lowering the front by adjusting the height of the forks in the clamps (they are set now to manual spec). Would adjusting the rear preload help in this situation? (probably time anyway, I've lost over 20kg since I've got the bike). I know there are universal winglets for bikes too, but I can't imagine them helping much before around the TR's top speed :rofl

On another note: a few weeks ago my TR hit 20.000km! I got it in April last year with a little over 13k on the odometer.
    upload_2021-9-19_1-42-27.jpeg
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing much you can do there, the panniers just create wind-drag....it's like an air-brake/ ailerons on a plane. And all the drag is on the rear, literally lifting the front end in a rocking-horse sense.
    Yes, you can drop the forks through the clamps to offset. And/ or stiffen up the preload on the rear to prevent part of the "squatting" and "stand her on the nose"....but that'll change things in general and might make the front end fairly twitchy when NOT using the panniers (and real busy on dirt).
  7. aaronric

aaronric I came to get down

Oddometer:
    I have a line on a 2010 TR650 Terra ... I'm interested, know it has solid ownership history, but I'm a little sketched out about finding parts for it, if I need them. I know it's the Rotax from the GS650 BMWs, so I'm not too worried about the engine being sound. But, when and if something does go, especially something ancillary, is there any hope of getting replacements?
  8. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @aaronric

That was my exact fear last year before I bought it. I contacted a (semi) local Husqvarna dealer. They mentioned they serviced some TR's on the regular and even did an engine rebuild for one. They had to use some parts from the BMW engine, but they made it work. In the end I decided to take the risk, because of the many bikes I rode to find a replacement for my DL650, none came close to the Strada for me :)

Plastics and that sort of stuff are still very available, at least in Europe through https://italhusky.com/. It looks like they ship worldwide, but they warn that shipping costs may be high overseas.

Aftermarket parts are a different story. SW motech had a whole lot of stuff for the TR's, but most of it is no longer made. I managed to buy some brand new crashbars from SW motech last year, but this summer I found out the Quick Lock Evo racks (one of the very few racks available for the TR) are no longer made. I contacted many big aftermarket retailers in Europe but none had it in stock. Thankfully I could buy a set of used racks from another ADVrider.
    aaronric likes this.
  9. aaronric

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. It's an attractive package aside from parts finding!
  10. DenGen

DenGen Gravity Opponent

Oddometer:
    I'm under the impression that the Terra was introduced in 2013 so, a 2010 model would be some thing else, or you've maybe got the year incorrect.
  11. aaronric

Oddometer:
    I'm thick. It's a 2013.
  12. LazyR

LazyR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't even notice that it said 2010 :p