Husqvarna 701 LR (Long Range)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mahhbechh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    young1, Bitingdog and OU812 like this.
  2. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2020-Husqvarna-701-Enduro-LR-003.jpg
    T-34 likes this.
  3. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    it would not surprise me at all if they make it available for the 690 also.
  4. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great! I hope it becomes available in the US. The LR version is not showing up on the Husky US website - on the international website, though.
  5. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. Does it still have the main tank under the seat also?
  6. Hkon89

Hkon89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it does, as far as I have understood there's the regular tank in the subframe, plus the one up front. They should have separate fuel pumps as well. It'll be like having the world's biggest reserve
    scoutxp likes this.
  7. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    701-ENDURO_ADDITIONAL-FUEL-TANK-KIT-2-1024x910.jpg
    701-ENDURO_ADDITIONAL-FUEL-TANK-KIT-3-1024x970.jpg
    5dc2ac9d0ce694335a8b471c-nueva-husqvarna-701-lr.jpg
    GlosBoy45, T-34, Bors and 4 others like this.
  9. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Front tanks looks beefy and wide, but it might aswell be the pictures and the yellow coloured field which makes them look big. I think the bike's awesome. Throw in a new higher rally seat and a tower and we're good to go!
    Retired 18Z and Bhart89 like this.
  10. Salzig

Salzig Comfortably dumb

Oddometer:
    I wonder why the rear panels are included in the kit if the rear tank stays the same.
    Even with the new seat they look the same as the old ones.
  11. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Hang on

The husquvarna 901 adventures on the way.......
  12. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm quite intrigued by the extra fuel pump! In retrospect, the number 1 issue I kept having trying to use a 690 as a long distance, massive miles bike was the fuel pump going out. Having 2 pumps would be great if that meant it still ran good when one fuel pump went out and you could just use the tank with the working fuel pump in it?

It'd be nice if they were the same fuel pump then you could probably get away with bringing just 1 extra.

Actually it'd be even nicer if KTM/Husky dealerships around the world stocked the fuel pump so that when it went out in the middle of long trip they could just sale it to you instead of bitching about how you should of planned your fuel pump break down 2 mos in advance and ordered it from them first...

ACTUALLY what would be REALLY nice would be a fuel pump that wasn't so fragile!! But back to reality....
    T-34, JETalmage, bananu7 and 7 others like this.
  13. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

I know little about the pump, but surely you loose alot of fuel during changeing it, if in the middle of no were that is...

How do you get around that, carry a extra pump and a bladder to drain the tank??

How long do they last..

Are they a service part like the tpi two stroke oil pumps
  14. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's kinda really ugly but I kind of like it.
    RockLocker likes this.
  15. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a handlebar switch to select tanks.
    545B6332-6715-4013-9098-7D7B1C213B71.png 84679304-AB3F-4098-B409-F956834B251E.png
    JeepDawg, T-34, young1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. abandoned track

abandoned track Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone is finally listening about having fuel range options from the manufacturer. I love SuperTankers!
    MVI, RTWstare and danketchpel like this.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are inching their way towards the 690 ADV they should have released in 2009. Maybe in 10 more years the LR will get a little wind protection.
    danketchpel and PilbaraGoat like this.
  18. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    I like it. Seems like a great all-roads traveling bike. The engine in these now is also super smooth and powerful.

I'm also glad they didn't feel the need to stick a rally fairing on the front. I know the thing I want most when riding in the dirt is a big fucking tombstone in my field of view.
    p3ga, T-34, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Compared to Safari's previous two attempts at 690 tanks it looks beautiful.:lol3
  20. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    It's a good question Lewi and on the regular 690/701 is pretty hard to NOT lose all your fuel when you swap pumps. You have to pivot up the "rear sub-frame fuel tank" which dumps most of the fuel when you do it. Last time I did it, I was in the sand/dirt of Moab Utah and someone gave me a coffee can. I probably got about 1/2 of the fuel. BUT one of the problems with the fuel pump is that it is incredible sensitive to any impurities in the fuel (not that you want to use fuel w/sand in it in ANY motorcycle) so I've never opted to reuse fuel I've saved. (In my experience, fuel pump failures happened most often after 1.) running out of gas or 2.) filling up in very rural places selling gas in bottles.)

But another thing I'm excited about on this bike is hoping that besides carrying (2) fuel pumps, I'm hoping the fuel can be blocked between the 2 tanks. Something in the way they said you could switch which tank you use made me think it might be like those old Ford trucks with twin tanks and you could use 70% of one and then switch and if your ran out of the 2nd tank you'd still have 30% in the other tank. I know the main reason Husky would have for that feature would for weight distribution but making sure you had some in both tanks in case one went out would be another great reason for it!

I don't think KTM considers their fuel pump a service part. I don't have the part # handy now, but cycle works has a fuel pump that works that many of us use that's about 1/3 the price of the OEM and more importantly usually easier to get last minute. I've had 9 OEM pumps go out but have never had the Cycle works pump go out. However it feels like I lose 10% of my hp running on the cycle works pump.

But I'm seriously excited about this bike as despite all the breakdowns/being stranded I've had, IF it were reliable, without question it would be my favorite "Do everything bike!" I know many folks like twins and more power on the freeway but I once did 3,000 freeway miles in 5 days on my 690 and wouldn't have swapped with a GS or anything else even for that! In a moment of insanity I bought a CB500X and did the Rally Raid 3 kit - the 690 is smoother on the freeway, far more comfy (with the exception of the wind protection on the Honda and if you've got a passenger I've found that annoying stepped seat is nice for that) and of course no comparison off road. Even with a passenger and luggage climbing a 6° grade it's got no problem accelerating hard for 60mph-75mph continuing to accelerate reasonably to 85 mph or 90 and then creeping up from there...
    Retired 18Z likes this.