Husqvarna 701 LR (Long Range)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mahhbechh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I wonder how much people shit on me on that Facebook group for my lazy videos. I don't have Facebook but please let people know if they see my videos on YouTube that I'm just an amateur and I hope some of the install videos were helpful to others.
    mattogodoy, Psionic79 and JustinP like this.
  2. NeptuneTriton

NeptuneTriton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah man, your videos are great. They've been posted there a few times for reference and folks have appreciated them. I've referred to them multiple times myself when installing the same accessories, they've been very helpful and I appreciate you making them. I only have FB to access a few different groups and buy/sell on Marketplace, otherwise I don't use it either.
  3. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the H3D Moto seat? I am thinking about getting one during the next winter. They say that the cover is Quick Dry, not waterproof. Will the foam be soaked if you leave the bike outside in rain?
  4. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, this seat and the harder rear spring have been the best additions on my LR so far (along with the Aurora rally kit).

The seat was in the beginning hard, or at least this is how I experienced it for the first 8-10 hours of riding with this seat.
    Afterwards got somehow softer and is awesome.
    If you plan riding off road I really recommend it (because is narrow). If you plan using your LR mostly for traveling then I think the Comfort XL model from Seat Concepts will serve you better (because is much wider).

Regarding the waterproof material I haven' t experienced any soaking. I recall leaving outside the motorcycle at least 3-4 times with torrential rain and the coming morning was dry. Only once was wet but looked to me only the cover and that rain didn't go through the foam. I remember pressing the seat and no water came out.
    It gets very wet though the front pocket of the seat. I have to leave it open so air will go in and circulate, then will dry.
  5. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. The Seat Concepts' Comfort XL is not any higher, which is my main requirement. The Fisher seat could be customised in height and width, but their COVID backlog is 4+ months. My plan is to order the H3D seat without the pocket, and ask them to make it higher and wider. But I am still looking for what options I have.
  6. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stock seat is pretty uncomfortable ( no surprise ) I have a Seat Concept seat on order and maybe one day soon they will ship it. I like to do big mileage riding days 200 to 300 miles days are normal and I really need to have a comfortable seat. If the SC seat doesn’t cut it I ll go with a Renazco Seat as I have always had good luck them.
  7. chanjahops

chanjahops Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rally tower GPS vibration is getting on my nerves. Besides being blurry as hell, it's causing the unit to loose connection with the power constantly and throw a message, or worse, cycle on and off. I've been trying to isolate the tower and gps mount from the frame using rubber washers, without much success just yet.

Anyone with a tower mounted GPS found a way to calm the vibration?
    Anyone using a legit dampened GPS mount on a tower with success?

Debating on giving up and just mounting the gps to a handlebar mount since it's dampened via rubber mounts anyway. On the other end, maybe doing a gear and sprocket change to move the highway RPM range (vibration frequency really) around a bit while maintaining or improving lower speed manners for getting dirty.

Eh...winter is coming. Really should just be happy to get some rides in with a still healing ankle sprain before it gets shitty cold.
  8. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am currently using this:
    https://www.rallymotoshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/billet-aluminum-centre-mount
    and the Garmin original rugged mount without any problems, and previously the same Garmin mount bolted directly onto my Aurora tower-didn't have any issues for several 1000km
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    I am using the Garmin XT with my Rade Garage tower and their mount without any issue. Works so far but I only have 1200 miles on the bike as it splits time with my 790R. My 2014 690 R had way more vibrations than this 701 and in fact this 701 I think it is pretty similar in some ways to my 790 for vibrations.
  10. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts comfort xl is available in one inch higher ( at least for my 21 500 xcw ) Just got mine after a four month wait. I am 6-5 and the one inch taller works well. I don’t sit much but 2-300 mile days are no problem.
  11. chanjahops

chanjahops Adventurer

Oddometer:

So looking at your screen with the bike running, on the mount as normal...varying the RPM range, your screens don't do a little something similar to this?

Attached Files:

12. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Nope, but that would bug the crap out of me if it did.
  13. timae

timae Adventurer

Oddometer:
    finally a recall on the clutch slave cylinder.

hey there. KTM just announced an official recall on the shitty piece of crap they use as their slave cylinder for all 2018-2020 models (so our babys as well)

there is a youtube channel in germany that did an extensive oil analysis a month ago and now somewhat claims that due to this official analysis report (in coop with Motul) KTM could now be forced into an official recall by all the customers using the report to file their claims.

original video here:

update video about the recall here:

what he's saying though(and shows the paperwork) which sounds like shit is: that anyone with aftermarket slave cylinders (sigutech, oberon, recluse) will have to sign a waiver for any future damages to the engine if they don't have it replaced with the new slave clinder (same as the 2021 models). Also due to the massive volume of slave cylinders that'll need replacement now it will also probably take ages to have enough spare parts available.

this seems to be an international recall (like the fuel lines) and I don't know the legal situation in other countried, but in germany at least this stuff is mandatory to do.

so the way it looks right now to me is: We will have to put in the original slave cylinder again, ride it over to the shop with that (pray it won't die on the way) get the replacement, drive home again and change it over to our replacements again.
  14. timae

timae Adventurer

Oddometer:
    we have in our recent trip to Slovenia found a way to avoid this: after refueling with the fuel cap open give the bike a little left-right wobble and you will see an air bubble coming up and fuel level dropping a lot. I suspect the tank shape traps it in there while refueling and that cause the sputtering. Since we started doing our little post-fueling dance never had issues anymore. front and rear
  15. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, very interesting this approach and your finding.
    I had the OEM fuel caps and was facing the same issue. I changed them to 3D moto and still same/similar issue: After fueling the tanks I change through the button selection of fuel tank and my LR dies.
    I have to either select the tank I had before or wait for a few minutes so the motorcycle will cool down.

After discussing with my dealer I think by removing SAS and charcoal canister will fix this issue. As a matter of fact I ordered the removal kit from Rottweiler (waiting for it to arrive) and my dealer will install it when they replace under warranty the rear fuel level indicator (as it stopped during summer the rear tank indication).
  16. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm 18-20 models. Wonder how they decided to do those years since they've used the same part for much longer? Guess that means I'm buying an Oberon for my 17, but don't have to worry about parts supply and whether KTM's new part is any better
  17. icemancometh

icemancometh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well mine was swapped out earlier this year… silent recall.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    KTM let me down. I moved on and bought a Rekluse. I'm not signing diddly squat. Could be an EU thing but Im not going to release KTM / Husky of any wrong-doing just because I decided to not wait for them to maybe do a recall.
  19. timae

timae Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not signing anything either. Worst case scenario is I'll do the whole swap dance. Will call my shop next week, just wanted to give them a bit of time for the whole recall show to get rolling.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. timae

timae Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a failure?
    Did you get the new '21 model slave cylinder? Cause the replacements usually were the old model. Also did you get your oil changed? Cause if not you should, that's what the lab testing of the oil showed.