Husqvarna 701 LR (Long Range)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mahhbechh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Orome

Orome Enjoying life on the road

Oddometer:
    My experiences:

Continental TKC80 - Very good performance in all conditions, but wear out very quickly (~2000 miles).

Motoz Tractionator Rallz - Excellent traction off-road, acceptable performance on-road. Completely worn out after full TAT route (East to West). Experienced A LOT of cracking at the base of the knobs. Probably won't use again because of this.

Dunlop Trailmax Mission - Excellent on the pavement and surprisingly great in most off-road conditions. Extremely long wear so far. Used on entire TAT (West to East) plus over 1000 more miles (mix of dirt and pavement) and still have over 50% tread remaining. They are quite heavy, and I am running tubes in them, but they should be ideal for a tubeless setup.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam,
    Have you considered the Dunlop 908 RR for your 701 LR? I am about to put a set on my 2018 701E with the Rade Garage fairing kit. The last set of tires I had wore out quickly and started to chunk on the edges. My HP2 did this to every knobby tire I put on it, and the TKC80 were the worst, lasting only about 1700 miles of mostly dirt and rock riding. I put on a set of 908 RRs, and they are amazing. They are quick to clean out with wheel spin, have rigid sidewalls so I can air them way down, have not chunked after hard off-road riding, and wear like iron. The only drawback is that they are a bit expensive, but Chapperal had them on sale a while back, so I bought two sets.

BTW - what range are you all getting on the 701LR in the real world? My 701 with the RG front tank gets about 280-290 miles.

Sno Dawg

since this thread is pic-heavy with nice-looking bikes, I thought I would add two more......
    HP2 after a day in the dirt - nice fast trails in central Pennsylvania
    Dunlop Rallye Raid on the rear - non-DOT motocross tire on the front IMG_4615-X4.jpg
    701E at the Michaux State Park ride - we rode this event fast and finished really early - the 701 was perfect for this event
    IMG_5443-X4-X2-1.jpg
    * I apologize if you have seen these pics before.
    Orome and AdamChandler like this.
  3. chanjahops

chanjahops Adventurer

Oddometer:

My riding tends to be a solid 50/50 mix and I tend to lean more to the all around performance aspects of a tire vs longevity. Going for longevity tends to lead to a harder tire that gives up off road and trail performance in my experience (K60 anyone?).

Tried, will not go back to -

TKC 80 OEM tires - It really is an ok all around tire. It's boring, expensive and wears too quick for the price point. Good road manners, just ok to sub-ok dirt performance. Not a fan for loose dirt and sandy conditions, but just fine for fire roads or semi-maintained trails. Have run these before on other machines and felt the same.

Tried, will buy again -

Dunlop D606 - Very good/excellent performance in the dirt, decent street manners, good tread wear overall in varied conditions. There is a front end wobble at 75-80 mph that has yet to go away, but that keeps me in check to slow down and chill. Running this on the front currently.

Tusk Dsport - First try with this tire, which looks real close to a D606 clone with 1 additional ply. So far, this tire has impressed me for the price point. Granted my expectations were low, however I'm very impressed so far. Even if they were to wear out in 2500 miles (which they will not), I would purchase these again. Running this on the rear currently.
    Psionic79, Orome and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I've primarily ridden off-road and my stats show 54.5 MPG but I only have 700 miles on the odometer. I always run the front tank dry first then run the rear tank until I find another gas station then top them both off. I'm going to guess that if I were doing a weekend camping off the bike with a lot of 50MPH state highways and 30% off roading, I'd probably see closer to 45-50. I haven't ran the bike with full gear yet either just me and a tank bag.

Thank you for the tire advice!
    Psionic79 likes this.
  5. Psionic79

Psionic79 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actual range:
    I record every fuel stop and mileage and so far I have found this year:
    5235 km 223.9 liters of fuel.
    This gives 4.38 liters/100km which turns into approx 570 Km on one set of tanks on the average. This is what I see when riding as well. I usually run both tanks until they light up and that gives me approx 250 on each. After that it’s just a matter of confidence….
    Most I got was 300 on each tank on a 3 day tripe with Mosko reckless 80 on the back and 50/50 tarmac/gravel roads.

tires: I have just about spent the original set of TKC80 and will be running Mitas E07+ for next season. Got nearly 6000 km out of the TKC, not bad??
    This year it has been 70/30 tarmac/gravel due to a lot of commuting.
    Sno Dawg and AdamChandler like this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  7. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Psionic79 likes this.
  9. TiuSo

TiuSo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had OEM TKC80 for 3000 km's, although the rear was done at 2500 km's. Nothing special, they are good on tarmac, but I wouldn't buy another set. Next on the Dunlop D908RR. Rear was wasted at 3300 km's. Like really wasted. Front was really prone to wobbling, scary, almost dangerous for first 1000 km. Otherwise the front was like any other knobbly tyre, kept it for 6600 km's. Off pavement Dunlop front was better than TKC80, except for the tendency to wobble. Definitely never again! Which is kinda odd, as I liked the rear in my Africa Twin and there it lasted much longer. Expensive tyre, and the rear doesn't last in my use.

Mitas E-09 Dakar rear lasted the same than Dunlop (and is almost half the price..) and it felt similar of better than Dunlop. Next on the Motoz Desert H/T (tube type), I'm waiting to get some km's before it starts to snow, it is getting cold here..

Pressures typically 1,5 - 1,8 bar, and I try to avoid speeding in tarmac, 100-110 km/h if have to use highway. I guess I drive something like 30/70 on/off pavement, maybe 40% of km's with loaded bike.
    ...And having fun !
  10. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
    First time posting here. Figured I would jump on the thread and give my feed back on the LR. I have 1500 miles on it. 85% Utah desert. I am coming from a 2011 KLR650. The 701lr is a game changer for me. Love all the power! So far I have had to replace the Clutch Slave. And now the bike is in the shop getting a new Thermal Switch. It started to go out on me on a solo trip. Check engine light went on and the engine temp light would start flashing on and off and then the bike stopped. Fan wasnt running when this happened. I pulled over and let the bike cool down for about a half and hour. After sitting in the middle of nowhere, and about 6 hours from home and 2 hours from the main highway. Decided to try starting the bike, Bike started and the check engine light was gone and engine temp light was off. I started for the main road to make the recovery easier. The roads I were on were sandy, rocky and steep in some places. Check engine light came on a few more times on the way out with the same results of the flashing engine temp. The fan didnt come on as frequently as in the begining of the trip. Which made me think the fan was having issues. When I made to the main road no check engine light or flashing so I road home. I took it to my dealer and they told me it was the thermal switch went out. They said the fan is fine. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Other than that love the bike and cant wait to get more trips on it. I want to ride it Panama in the next few years.

Attached Files:

AdamChandler and TiuSo like this.
  11. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
    2A232AA7-059F-4F4B-BC5D-D21B000CF5E3.jpeg

Attached Files:

bikerjim2000, Psionic79 and TiuSo like this.
  12. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
    20D427CF-7749-4C0B-BA18-CDC784478F0C.jpeg
    Psionic79 and TiuSo like this.
  13. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
    087A5089-3D47-4FAD-AA6A-9DA4BD0513B0.jpeg
    Psionic79 and TiuSo like this.
  14. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
    B10ED865-341E-4ADD-BD51-C6D83B2B2C65.jpeg
    Psionic79, Norty01 and TiuSo like this.
  15. mckayadventures

mckayadventures n00b

Oddometer:
  16. Hair

Hair I am on my way. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the 908 on my SER it was the perfect tire for that bike. I spooned on my FE570 and the sidewalls were way to thick. Like you suggested I aired them way down. Then things were better. I also tried an tire similar to the TKC on the rear of my 570. That tire allowed me to drift the back to aline up to single track. They were worthless but fun.
    I don't mind a TKC on the rear of my LR but on they don't do well on the front.
    1500 miles out of a TKC is about right. They are a soft tire. and grip as well as any road tire. I use to run my SER 80+ up the lower hill in Los Alamos. Not many street bike can do that.
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  17. kveldulv

kveldulv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I just noticed your comment on the RallZ. I had the same thing happen to me - although on a much heavier bike (Africa Twin). I believe it led to the tyre tearing like perforated cardboard - on the first day off pavement:

IMG_4908.jpg

I kind of put it down to a one-off / bad-luck, but interesting to read that you also observed similar.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This bike is amazing. Did 320 miles on a tank. Both fuel lights were on. Could have gone way further. Just trail riding and I averaged 55.97 MPG. At 6.5 gallons, that’s 364 miles to empty.

last three tanks off road have all been 55-57 MPG. Really amazing.
  19. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, I posted this on Sept 4, 2018 . It was a standard 701e, It is gone now and I have a 701LR.
    I went down and road the last 100miles with a avulsion fracture of the tibia so I was taking it easy. Elevation was above 5000ft most of the trip which makes a huge difference.

FYI, Last Saturday I rode a route from Wells, Nv to Jarbidge and back on a loop route. 223mi on 3.2 gal. That is 69.68 miles per gallon. On Sunday I rode from Wells to Austin gassed up in the outskirts of Elko, It was 229 miles on in to Austin some of my route was on the NVBDR. I made It on one tank. The KTM 690 that was with me did the same. Both motorcycles are stock.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Hair

Hair I am on my way. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just think we can now burn off a aggressive knobby in less than 3 tanks of fuel.