Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using this home-made tool:

[​IMG]

to set rear wheel alignment for more years than I care to remember. Every bike that I have used it on has inaccurate registration marks at the rear axle (including my KTM 300, KTM 1190R, and Husqvarna 701). I put the pointed end in some swing-arm location which is guaranteed to be the same on each side. Adjust the zip tie for the measurement on one side to compare with the other side.
  2. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  3. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently installed my Rade tank and plumbed it the same way and it is working beautifully. As for fuel boiling, I haven’t seen this happening with mine yet, but it is autumn here at the moment and my riding is generally commuting with minimal stopping.
  4. CA_Rage

CA_Rage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was having issues with the fuel boiling in my Rade tank when I had the Power Commander V on it.
    Right now the PCV is all disconnected and I've had no issues.
    My next steps are to back up the map and zero it out, hook it all back up and see if it still has problems.
  5. Strelok

Strelok Too weird to live, to rare to die.

Oddometer:
    This is strange, because with the PCV in any configuration your bike should be running richer, and thus cooler.
    I took my bike to Moab with the Rade tank. I actually ended up overheating the bike due to a broken radiator fan, but I never noticed any issues with the Rade tank. It was full the whole time and I never ended up using it.
    2ndA732 likes this.
  6. Tired Oil

Tired Oil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, in the past I agreed with those recommending against mounting smartphones on the bike itself, but now I have two smartphones so it would not be a disaster to lose one in a crash. It seems a smartphone with GPS app is much more flexible than a fixed function bike-GPS unit.

So...does anyone have experience riding with a dash-mounted smartphone? I wonder if I will kill it with vibrations. My phone is also not waterproof so I am curious if there is a tried and true mounting technique that waterproof the phone.
    MotoMattNYC likes this.
  7. CA_Rage

CA_Rage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree. I was in a rush to get it ready for a Baja trip so I just disconnected everything and rode it that way. Now I'm ready to dig back into the issue and see whats what.
  8. 2ndA732

2ndA732 ...not be infringed

Oddometer:
    now i have a new use for that old fence post anchor i've been storing in my garage for the past few years.
  9. 2ndA732

2ndA732 ...not be infringed

Oddometer:
    i remember reading about this a few pages back, i'm also stumped why your PC V is overheating. x2 to what strelok said. I remember you were saying you ran an Akro map. I'm curious to find out the results once you re-load one of the power commander maps.
  10. Strelok

Strelok Too weird to live, to rare to die.

Oddometer:
    I've used the RAM X-Grip for years. I have had the phone fall off twice: Once going over Imogene Pass in Colorado, I dumped the bike down a rocky hillside. The arm snapped in half but still held the phone. The other time I came down hard off a wheelie going over the Golden Gate bridge and the phone let go and flew into the bay. I wasn't using the little rubber web thing that comes with it though. I still use the X-Grip, I just use the rubber web thing now. RAM is nice because there's all kinds of stuff that you can connect to the system, including "waterproof" zip type phone cases. I think those are hideous and would honestly just buy an IP67 rated phone before getting one. If you have a windscreen tucking the phone under it should be more than adequate for rain riding, that or carrying a ziplock bag.

I recently came across QuadLock, which looks like an interesting system, but I haven't tried it.

[​IMG]
    TwedyMoto, Tired Oil and DeLewis like this.
  11. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have only ever used my iPhone as a do-it-all GPS on my bike for years including many off-road trips - lots of vibration, dust and rain and never an issue. I use the Tiagra case and mount which has been gold. The case is dust proof, highly water resistant and is rubber lined so offers a lot of shock/vibration protection. And they don’t even cost much! Yes they are designed for bicycles but they actually fasten the phone much more securely than the Ram X mount system. I’ve seen the Ram mounts let go the phone in moderate offs but never had mine fall off. This is what they look like.
    https://goo.gl/images/sgfXvn
  12. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    A lot of people are just buying a ruggedized Kyocera phone for less than a hundred bucks and using it with various GPS apps. My buddy uses one and it is a lot easier to run than my Garmin. You don’t even need to have it on a plan for the GPS function to work.
  13. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    One of our inmates sells a very good mount with an anti-vibe option.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/page-38

I use an old windows phone with gpx software to run tracks. Prior to buying his anti-vibe option, I killed the cameras in 2 older phones on my 690. Nothing, else, just the camera. Now with the anti-vibe piece, I'm willing to put my less than year old phone in the mount, and have had no problems. Still use the old phones for tracks though.
    TwedyMoto likes this.
  14. MOTOXNUT

MOTOXNUT Back On Trainer Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi, I did the same thing with the reflective heat shield on my Rade tank.
    But I plumbed it up using the syphon method into the fuel overflow / breather of the main tank that has been discussed here previously.
    That way the Rade tank empties into the main tank first and if the fuel from the front tank has got warm it gets a chance to cool down in the main tank before being burnt.

Done a couple of thousand km`s like this so far and no issues.
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  15. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Motoxnut-

I'm using the siphon method here as well but have only ridden roughly 20 miles plumbed like this. So far so good.

Cool weather down here in south Louisiana? ACK! I wish! It's already busted the century mark so far this summer and the kids aren't even out of school yet.

What inside diameter fuel line did you choose to run-if you remember? I used 1/4" (converts to 6.3mm inner diameter)

For any of you using the siphon method, have any of you had any problems with the Rade fuel tank vent overflowing on down hills?

As far as gasoline boiling, it wasn't a full tilt rolling boil like water I use to make my morning oatmeal, it was more of a very slow....blurp with visable air bubbles every 5 seconds or so coming up from the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank as I looked straight down into the tank.
    BelgianTriple and DeLewis like this.
  16. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually I have just used the existing tank breather tubing to connect to the Rade tank temporarily - probably not ideal as I’m not sure if it is even rated for fuel line use. But I have just purchased some 4.8mm internal diameter tubing to replace the breather tubing.
  17. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely correct. I would be surprised if you found a YouTube video demonstrating a 180 degree rim lock install
  18. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have my old phone mounted in a case to the handlebar top mount using Dual Lock (like velcro but both sides are plastic hooks). It's been on there through death valley and the AZBDR. Not once did it let go or destroy the phone. I use it as a backup to my Garmin gps.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosabl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6KY5YFWH51GZZV67W7GJ

Attached Files:

19. MotoMattNYC

MotoMattNYC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ram mounts no issues with vibrations holds the phone perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. MotoMattNYC

MotoMattNYC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with an east coast tuner? Debating getting a custom tune for my 701 via pcv5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk