Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. CoMike1190

CoMike1190 I never drive faster than I can see. BTiLC

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info. I'm gonna head down to Slavens in the next couple weeks and grab everything. Thankfully his shop is only about 45min away.
  2. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice! It's the Toys2Go crashbars, had to dremel a little about 1cm
    RonSJC likes this.
  3. FlyingFish

FlyingFish The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on repairing the clutch slave! It's a known problem for Husky and KTM. For many it's worth replacing and not playing "russian roulette" and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Sure hope you didn't have to push too far when yours blew.
  4. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sits right in its happy spot at around 70 .... Which, conviently, is what the speed limits are around here. Not that I pay that close of attention, it will cruise along at ~82 just fine a little bit revved up :)

My bike is a '16 too, I imagine the 17's and newer would be perfect with this setup and much better off-road to boot.
    FlyingFish likes this.
  5. K_T_M

K_T_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. I was fortunate to be able to ride out of the mountains solo without the clutch but was definitely challenged with starts, intersections, and tight spots. Kinda hard on the bike and ruined what began as a good day.

KTM/Husky/Magura need to address this well known issue with a reliable solution - so far, no joy. I am out $ for parts, an oil change (clutch oil in engine/gearbox), labor, and ability to ride because KTM/Husky evidently doesn't care about reliability, safety, holding themselves accountable, or customer satisfaction (my 3rd 690). And yes, I talked at length with their peeps at US HQ and a dealer in Sacramento.
    FlyingFish likes this.
  6. JDouglas

JDouglas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Due to a sudden attack by the ground, I need a new turn signal. There are two different part numbers on the fiche. Can anyone tell me the difference between 60114026000 and 60114025000? They appear to be the same thing. Thanks
    CoMike1190 likes this.
  7. Foo Bar

Foo Bar Semper Fi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out these images. You can read on the OEM box which corner each part number fits.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  8. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto recently posted Reckless R80 & Perun Rack news on their blog. These guys don't stand still :clap - M

"Reckless 80 Fitment: KTM 690 & Husky 701"

"I was having some fit issues with the R80 on my KTM 690 on the last few trips. Sometimes the bag would move around a bit while riding or contact the tire when the suspension compressed. The main issue is that the R80 is designed to mount on a bike where the rear of the bike is wider than the seat, whereas many of the rear racks for the 690 are actually narrower than the seat. Also the 690 has a pretty aggressive forward lean to it, more like a dirt bike than a touring bike."

"The answer is this rack extension I ordered from Perun Moto, who also makes the best rear rack for this bike that I’ve found so far. I also put the passenger peg mounts back on the bike, minus the pegs themselves, as a connection point for the R80 leg straps. Problem solved. The fuel hole lines up with the filler cap, the connection to the bike is rock solid, there’s no ‘bulge’ in the harness over the seat. Posting pics here in case anyone else has experienced this issue on the 690 or 701."​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dukehunt, Michhub and Bhart89 like this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm a sucker, read that and it took me just a little while to order my Perun rack extension. But I did go out to the garage and check to see if I could make my own rack extension but decided to just buy one.
  10. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CoMike1190 likes this.
  11. MxFan69

MxFan69 Im so happy

Oddometer:
    Can yall help keep me from reading 1000 pages here, and help with a question on buying the Enduro vs Supermoto please.

I was set this week to start looking for a clean used 701 enduro, and then thought about the extra set of TE300 Husky 21”/18” wheels I have. All of a sudden it seems like it would be smarter to look for a supermoto, and have both on and off road since I already own the 21/18 wheels, and get the 17”x2 wheel set up in the purchase.

My dilima is that while reading about the 2 models, I see the supermoto has 50 mm less front and 15 mm less rear travel than the enduro suspension. In addition obviously the supermoto will have different fork and shock valving.

SO, MY QUESTION; has anyone here bought and successfully used the supermoto for double duties without major complaints from the suspension department, while riding dirt/trails/fire roads with an 21”/18” wheel set up. I would likely use this bike as about 50/50 between blacktop and dirt, and do the wheel swap for each terrain.

Thoughts ?
  12. MotoMattNYC

MotoMattNYC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s been done both ways and answered numerous times. With that being said get whatever you plan on riding more. I have an enduro with sm wheels and I mainly ride the street go figure. IMO I’d rather have the extra suspension travel for speed jumps and curbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wsmc99 and KiwiPewe like this.
  13. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know the details of the 2018 701 recall concerning the automatic decompressor.
  14. MxFan69

MxFan69 Im so happy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, figured its a dead horse thats been beat to mush, but hard to sift thru 1000 pages.

I agree with wanting the longer travel suspension of the enduro. Just thinking about the fact I would be getting the supermoto wheels and dual discs with the bike purchase vs having to spend 1200 to 1500 on a 17”x2 SM setup if I went with the enduro as my bases.

I should limit my question to those with a newer supermoto that have put 21”/18” with dirt treads on their SM, and ask HOW BAD was it off road? Did you BADLY miss the lacking 2” of travel, or was it not that big of deal?

I need to review the fork length spec of the SM, as I have an extra set of KTM 2013 CC forks from a XC dirt bike. I wonder how different they are in both length and trail.
  15. Greubin

Greubin Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW my friend had the same clutch issue on his FE501. The local dealer was willing to replace it with a factory replacement (magura) knowing full well it would eventually fail again. A call to KTM/Husky USA to file a complaint was made and requesting a brembo replacement, Husky agreed to replace the defective parts and worked with our local Husky dealer to replace the magura parts. Worth a shot YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    K_T_M likes this.
  16. K_T_M

K_T_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dealers here in N. California will only use Magura parts even though multiple warranty (2 or 3) replacement failures have been documented. The FE bikes seem to have the most failures. Brembo's are solid.. No problems on my 690's.
  17. Dlyttle

Dlyttle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The spacer is so thin it is quite damafed
  18. HeavyRotation

HeavyRotation Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So your friend did the gold valve OC conversion and didn't like it? With or without the additional mid valve? I bought this 701 to use as a big dirt bike, the high speed compression damping in the fork is awful.
  19. HeavyRotation

Oddometer:
    My 17 701 has a fairly significant speedometer error of 5%. 60mph indicated is actual 57. It also has the 5th and 6th false neutral but i just adapted and ride around it, seems to be getting less frequent. I also mainly ride in SG12 motocross boots with a huge boxy toe which makes upshifts easier.
  20. HeavyRotation

Oddometer:
    I would say it doesn't matter much because the Enduro suspension blows, you'll need to fix it anyway. Get the SM.
    MxFan69 likes this.