Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's 300W total, less what the bike uses, is what you can use before you go into debt. I don't know what the bike uses. My Warm N Safe was 90w AFAIK.
    CardiffKook likes this.
  3. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Krussel.

So you are running gloves and jacket and it has been fine?

Anyone know what the excess electical capacity is on the 701. The alternator puts out 300W per manual. I added up all the stuff in the manual under technical data-->electic but it only adds 75W- which seems low. That leaves excess electical capacity of 225. Seems high.
  4. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've calculated the math as well. Roughly the same conclusion. **Keep in mind that is peak power rating. Idle and low rpm it is not outputting 300w. What, we have not tested yet. We assume worst case 25% less.
    xsrdx and Blakebird like this.
  5. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    You're correct, the ignition is going to use about 95-120W by itself.
    Fuel Injection? Add another 45W-50W
    Lights/horn/turn sigs? Add 'em up.
    Plan on being left with 25-35% to due what you want.

Oh yeah, if you have the alternator pumping out at 100%, you can expect a reduced life of the alternator...

It's just the way it is...
    MotoMinded likes this.
  6. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have run my heated liner (90 watts) Oxford heated grips (30-50) and had my phone charger going at the same time for many a miles. Never an issue.
    Yukon Ho!, NSFW and Bayner like this.
  7. Panders

Panders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rade has updated his fairing kit:
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-701-fairing-kit-stary/

It now has a shader around the headlight to help with reflections on the windshield, improved CNC machined side panels and windshield, a brake hose routing bracket, and the addition of a USB charging port and Garmin GPS cradle.
    moosehog likes this.
  8. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right! If I can do mountain bike disc brakes, I can do this.
  9. Panders

Panders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 701 rider on Facebook shared this new steering damper from a Polish company called Enduro Parts:
    http://enduroparts.com.pl/husqvarna-701/
    https://www.facebook.com/partsenduro/

Obviously it's a Scotts look-alike. The guy on Facebook installed it recently on his bike and says it feels and works just like the Scotts on his friend's 701.

The price is attractive: about $260 USD for the damper plus 701 mounting kit, plus shipping (I sent a message to find out shipping to the USA).

I've never had a steering damper. After riding sand dunes, rocky terrain, and some river crossings with big rocks last year, it's been on my list for my next big ride but the $750 for a Scotts, GPR, Rallye, etc. has kept it a low priority. At 1/3 the price, though...

Anyone seen or tried an Enduro Parts damper? Thoughts or experience?
  10. Panders

Panders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. krgr_910

krgr_910 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Experienced some weird behavior yesterday. Bike was fine in the morning and then in the afternoon I noticed the engine light stayed lit after starting the bike. It then cut out when putting the bike in gear. So I checked the side stand switch, which was still intact and aligned. It did the same thing about three times, cutting out when I put the bike in gear. I switched off the ignition and on again and it started and did not cut out again when putting it in gear. However, the engine light was still lit when the bike was started. This morning I disconnected the computer and plugged it in again. Engine light is off and no signs of any issues... Any thoughts? I am planning on taping the side stand magnet and relocating it under the seat as suggested. The getting a OCB? reader to figure out why the engine light was on... I need to take it to the dealer for the "software update" any way.
  12. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are oversimplifying changing the slave for some one that may not be mechanically inclined. You forget to mention the bleeding which though simple does require a bit of knowledge as in how to do it, which oil to use, mineral or DOT 4 or DOT 5 and how you don't want that stuff in your eyes and how you don't want that stuff dripping all over stuff because it is aggressive etc.
    Magile, Tired Oil and KiwiPewe like this.
  13. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    It happened to me a few times over the years on my 2016 and 2017. I also solved it by rebooting the ecu and have never worried about it. My mechanic says if it starts blinking then I should worry.
  14. krgr_910

krgr_910 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think I will try and get a reader to figure out the reason for the engine light. Do the normal readers show error history? Can they clear errors as well?
  15. dirtbikekid

dirtbikekid Adventurer

Oddometer:

could it be same as this

Also this
  16. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember my mechanic saying something about the electronics working on microvolt changes and how once in a while the tiniest bit of moisture can cause the error light to come on for a short while. However, I'm famous for my shitty memory. :imaposer
    PYG RYDR, Kiwirich and a2zworks like this.
  17. coq

coq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a tank bag for my 701 and are deciding between GL fandango and diablo.

As I understand it from other threads they are the same size except for height, which gives 4 or 8L making the only difference how much you are able to pack.

I'm thinking of combining it with Mosko Reckless 80.

It's so hard to determin just from pictures. I want it slim but if I take only the tankbag for a day trip I want to be able to pack enough.

Anyone with a 701 who can share their experience with either bag?
  18. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have both the Fandago and the Diablo. And I also have the mm R40 and R80. I used the 4l at first but for my purposes it is too small. I use the 8 L one and never looked back because I charge a large powerbank, gopro batteries, sometimes drone batteries, spare glasses, wallet etc etc. I never notice it riding but many riders hate tankbags. In other words both volume and placement is so incredibly personal that there's only one true answer... It all depends on you. For me the tankbag is generally not enough for a day ride. I bring tools, spare tube and first aid kit and more which wouldn't fit with all the other crap I already have in the 8 liter. However, you can add the two 2 liter panniers to the tankbag on each side for an additional 4 liters total. One carries my tools.

IMG_1174.jpg
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  20. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weird I didn't know the forum automatically does product placements? The GoPro in the above post is linked to ebay and I didn't do that.

Update: and this post also!