1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. coq

coq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel like the 4L would be enough for me but am a bit unsure. If it's not enough I could add 2x2L pannier bags as you say. Thats a good idéa, thanks! And if thats not enough I could use the mid bag from the Mosko 80 on the back top rack.

Thanks for your comment. Your bike and setup look nice!
    Didado likes this.
  2. Tired Oil

Tired Oil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not a lawyer but I consider this passage instructive:

If a new car built by my company leaves Chicago traveling west at 60 miles per hour, and the rear differential locks up, and the car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside, does my company initiate a recall?
    You take the population of vehicles in the field (A) and multiple it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average cost of an out-of-court settlement (C).
    A times B times C equals X. This is what it will cost if we don't initiate a recall.
    If X is greater than the cost of a recall, we recall the cars and no one gets hurt.
    If X is less than the cost of a recall, then we don't recall.

-- Chuck Palahniuk

Its from a work of fiction but I am pretty sure vehicle manufacturers operate according to something close to this principle. The my main issue with the logic is the "no one gets hurt". By the time A is significant, and by the time one has any sort of estimate of B, some people will already have gotten hurt.
  3. Tired Oil

Tired Oil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a 2017 owner -- sorry to disprove that theory. :-/
    SuzyMoto likes this.
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have browser malware/add-on installed...my posts are clean.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  5. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see a link in either post.

PYG RYDR likes this.
  6. Thunder Tuna

Thunder Tuna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an 18 sm, is out of warranty and just learning about the clutch slave cylinder issue.

Sounds like you're saying the 18's are having this issue a lot? I looked on the oberon site, and they don't even have the replacement part listed for the 18, just 16/17. I'm assuming the part that's made for the 17 will fit?

Would love to know the numbers of people who've had this issue. It's a critical safety issue and people who've had it could file a recall petition with NHTSA, which is more than a complaint - it forces an investigation. https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-possibly-force-a-recall-on-your-car-1830938474
  7. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    I've got an 18 also, no problem so far, but only about 1000 miles. It's easy to swap out the slave cylinder. I had a 2001 Aprilia Falco and was hundreds of miles from home in WV when my slave failed. Using only the tools in the tool kit I removed the slave in the parking lot of an auto parts store where I had purchased some brake fluid, and a hand bleeder kit, disassembled it and finding no real damage reassembled it and bleed the system. It worked for a long time and then failed again. This time I purchased a new seal, it was 'U' shaped, but when I went to install it I noticed that the piston was 'cocking' in the bore of the cylinder cause wear to the bore. I purchased and installed an aftermarket slave at that point.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  8. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure you’ve checked but isn’t the warranty 2 years where you are? My 2017 model is still under warranty (I’m in Oz).
  9. falcofred

falcofred aka Beer Scout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Extreme N.E. Tennessee = Motorcycle Nirvana
    Mine is 2 years or 24,000 miles, what ever comes first.
    At the rate I'm riding the 2 years will come first.
  10. Thunder Tuna

Oddometer:
    Person I bought from said warranty was expired, but may have been off. I'll check w/ my local dealer. On the other hand, I'm not sure it matters, as mine hasn't failed, but I want to address this before it does fail.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  11. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 501 and 701. After my learning experience with the 501, I oredered an Oberon slave for the 701 and installed it before I rode the 701. Just risk avoidance. Why chance it? They're not that expensive.
    SuzyMoto likes this.
  12. Thunder Tuna

Oddometer:
    That's my thinking as well. Annoying, but I'm not going to let my annoyance with Husqy/Magura put me in a bad situation over $120.
  13. Tharaphita

Tharaphita Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called local dealer today and asked about 2019 model changelist vs 2019 ktm690, they said that there are xplorer forks but no quickshift or other extra electronics what come with new 690. Im thinking i like husky colors and 25mm extra travel more then electronics and quickshifter or is there anything else changed in motor itself on 2019 690 vs current 2019 701?
  14. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking into to seat options. Anyone run the xtra wide seat concept seat?
  15. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likewise, maybe its because we are supporters (not getting ads).
    Panders likes this.
  16. sjh

sjh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First mods chucked on the new enduro tonight,

Some acerbis handguards i bought on a sale for an ill-fated DRZ, and progrip 714 rally grips.

Is there a reasonably priced long throttle tube available? I had to cut the throttle grip down quite a bit so as to not drag on the handlebars.
  17. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use these handguards.
    [​IMG]
    Bhart89 likes this.
  18. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are the warm and safe wattage's

Gloves 40 watts

Shirt 48 watts

Pants 40 watts

Socks 18 watts

Total 146 watts 10 amps

I run all this with two heat-trollers this gives me 4 separate heat controllers. One for each piece. I run a voltmeter to confirm I am still getting a full charges.

I run this plus radar detector and charge my cell phone and still charge at 14.3 volts.

This was a four hour ride today in the 40's nice and toasty.
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    146W is going to be a hair over 12.5 amps. That's a pretty good chunk. Remember, you're only running a 12V system.
    If your battery was at "100%" when you started your ride, then you may have pulled more out of the system, then what was being put back in. You can do this only so many times before you hit the threshold of "not enough battery" to run the bike. IF you think you have weakened your battery, then you can always put it on a charger when you get home from your ride. I do this with my bikes currently. (See what I did there?) LOL
    PYG RYDR and MotoMattNYC like this.
  20. FishNutz

FishNutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All very good points. I forget that everybody has different skill levels and ability’s.
    PYG RYDR and Didado like this.