Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I ordered the "shader" as that was the one thing thing I hated with the kit was all the glare at night. I hope it works good.
  2. alpin

alpin 37.9420795,-107.8357

Oddometer:
    I joined the club! Picked up a new 2018 701 enduro today. The dealer tried to scare me with the whole “if you do any mods, you will void your warranty - even adding an aftermarket exhaust”. I didn’t feel like arguing, so I just said okay (while thinking to myself I need to find a different dealer). He also said that Husqvarna took away dealers’ ability to flash ECUs back in 2017. Is this really the case? I’m planning on adding an aftermarket exhaust and intake and I hear flashing the ECU is recommended.

I picked the bike up today in a snowstorm. It didn’t look so new by the time I got it home (see pic below). Unfortunately we’ve been getting tons of snow lately, so the bike will be in storage until things melt out a bit.

IMG_2923.jpg
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM did pull the plug on ECU mods. Tons of discussion here on what modifications need mapping work. Wings exhaust is a favorite.
  4. MotoMattNYC

MotoMattNYC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the pic just get a PCV5 like the rest of us. If that dealer wants to be a C**** then go to another
    Cheers!
  5. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some dealers will still do the "Evo" map tuning. Just need to find the right dealer.
  6. Panders

Panders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Report back when you know, please. I am considering the Rade fairing vs other options so it would be good to know.
  7. 4ttrialsguy

4ttrialsguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First thing is install the wings exhaust, find a dealer to down load the Offroad map. It is still possible to do just find a better dealer. Install the Rottwilder intake and fuel dongle. This makes night and day difference in the performance. At least do the fuel dongle to richen it up. In stock form it is way too lean.
    The stock muffler weighs a ton and creates soo much heat.
  8. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanx, that could be it. Looked at the source code of these pages and it references a script to VigLink, which is a legitimate service to automatically link products for publishers.
  9. cosworth

cosworth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not a case of finding the right dealer to do it. It's an HQ thing. To load a map you have to give the VIN and then the unit calls home (KTM) for said map. Maps are not stored locally on the unit. The only map available is for the Akropovic kit. And we still arent sure how you show proof of purchase etc to load that map onto a bike if need be. If the bike has mirrors, you can't map it.

For now, since I could do all this at work, my bike stays with a stock map. I like the mileage I'm getting as it sits.
    PYG RYDR, xsrdx and Kiwirich like this.
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the Tekmo header work with the Wings exhaust?
  11. motad

motad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes but it doesn't look like it gets you much for your money in terms of performance
    guns_equal_freedom and ramon like this.
  12. Thomas-G

Thomas-G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, what i found out: the new Explor 48 has a Hydrostop on the top of the cartridge and a conevalve for compressiondamping! those makes the new fork a potential remarkable step forewards. It has a open dampingsystem.... Some prefer this, some don't. I think the conevalve is the important atribute here.
    Tested it on gravel and Dirt....felt very good.

670-f66bbdbf-small.jpeg

To my knowledge the directional needles of the 16 - 18 Huskys 4cs tecnique were the problem..... Without the needlevalves and the Dal Soggio Ray kit, the fork felt stiffer and in the same time more confortable, nearly like the new fork.
  13. Folxam

Folxam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're wrong!
    Everything OEM is crap and must be changed!

This message is sponsored by the aftermarket.
  14. Thomas-G

Thomas-G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WP 4 cs with dal soggio raykit is, in my opinion as good as 90% of a well adapted Oehlins fork.
    For Rallyeriding there is no way other than changeing components, for example Dal Soggio close cartridge or the same from Oehlins...The wp conevalve fork, Yes. But normal riders have much less confort and traction with these Racing oriented products. In many areas in this world you loose streetlegality, if the suspension components of a abs Motorcycle are changed.
    I do not agree 100% with your opinion.
    (But yes, for me personally the wp4cs OEM was not exactly crap but worth to pimp up to a higher level)
    Yes, aftermarket products are cool, but not as necessary as you said.

Good rideing

Thomas
    Folxam, DeLewis, Magile and 1 other person like this.
  15. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    My dealer was able to load the “evo” map for me when I bought the bike (July 2018). So either there is an exception for this bike or map, or the dealer is a good hacker.

I’m using it with a Wings exhaust and the Husky evo airbox / emissions delete kit. It runs a lot better now. Much stronger low end and mid range power.
    Smileyboy and SuzyMoto like this.
  16. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Going shopping today, with a trailer...

Welp, just returned from the dealer in San Diego.
    Turns out they wouldn't honor the stuff on their own website. It says plainly ".99% for 60/mos" on the 701 Enduro. I get there, ready to talk turkey and they come back with, "That incentive is no longer available."
    Then Chris goes to their finance girl and tells her the website needs to be updated. He tells me tier1 customers are going to be 4.99%. Well, this was probably one of the biggest incentives for me to buy. Chris tells me "Husky may have another incentive on Mar. 01."
    Am I mad? Not really. Disappointed, sure. I look at it this way, I just saved $11,360.

Now, I'm stuck with a 2 rail trailer on the "rain car" until Sunday...

Hey, anyone need a bike (or 2) moved near me?

Think I'll go for a ride since the temp is up to mid 60's.

EDIT~ Thank you Shawn, Chad, Dave & RogerD for your information.
    DeLewis, motad, KiwiPewe and 2 others like this.
  17. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canada.
  18. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer takes the Husky thingamajingy and plugs it into the diagnostic port under the seat, hits the magical unicorn button and voila! map loaded. Well it actually takes approx 30 min. I would do it in a second, but I have the un-loved 2016 which does not allow it.
    MotoMattNYC likes this.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have the "Coober ECM" unit that fits the 701 (both varieties?)
    I was just talking with the parts guy at the San Diego dealership, and he seems to really like the Coober ECM unit.
    Anyone? They wanted $675 for it. He tells me it's strictly "plug & Play" and it adjusts the fueling & spark curves via the o2 sensor. Even if you change end cans and Rottweiler intake, it self adjusts.

Or, is the parts guy doing his job by selling stuff that may/or may not be desired...

EDIT~ Looking on the Coober website, I see Coober has a kit for the 701's. It includes the Wings pipe, ECM, various plumbing fixtures, clamps for $950. That's not a terrible deal providing the system works as advertised.
    Funny thing, they (Coober) mention the stock airbox looks terrible, but it out performs everyone else's. Never seen that before.
    Also, the Wings is the best "bang for your buck." The Akro loses power. And there's nothing to be gained by replacing the stock head pipe. Interesting, verrrrry interesting.
    falcofred, KiwiPewe and MotoMattNYC like this.
  20. sjh

sjh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel I may need to try all the different suspension technologies to see what I find best for me. My 2019 701 feels great - but I've no real frame of reference as my other bikes have been big adv monstrosities & a drz that was in dire need of a fork rebuild.
    Thomas-G likes this.