Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I may have to go that route. It does introduce the possibility of failure if the bars work loose.

Nice bike/ute BTW!
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  3. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used 16" Soft Tie Extension Tie-downs (800 lb rating) to tie down my 701 (and my 500EXC) on the back of the MH and truck many times. I wrap the front ones around each fork tube at the lower triple clamp. Never had an issue with the extensions. I use the Versahauler hitch mount.

I still stop and check/adjust the ratchet straps every 200 miles or so.

I recently picked up https://www.acebikes.com/en/transport-service/tyrefix-tie-down-system/ rear tie down system for the rear. I saw this system in use about 6 months ago and was very impressed with it. With no real rear frame members to wrap the soft ties around, this looked to be a solid way to go.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  4. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Both those items look like a great solution! Do you recall which brand of soft tie down extensions you used?

I really wanted to use the Versahauler hitch mount, but the "pass through" hitch is only rated to flat tow up to 3,000lbs. Our toad is closer to 4,000lbs.

At this stage I believe my only option is the hideously expensive hydra-lift. It has to be welded to the frame and the rear door on my motorhome has to be reworked. $8,500 installed.

:eek2
  5. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Pooz, I like your new avatar ! Is there a message about the orange colour ? :D
    Pooz likes this.
  6. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, welcome in the (ready to) race world = needs speed to cool down the engine. The bike is damn hot, it will melt your trousers (left leg). Seems that the previous owner did the necessary upgrades. But clutch should be very smooth (actually for me smoother than a trials bike = beta evo), 1 finger with no effort. Maybe you have an incoming issue with slave cylinder. Concerning the stalling issue, are you sure the clutch lever is pushing all the way the microswitch ? Could be the culprit. 10/60 oil is good, 15/60 better to keep the pressure on the camchain tensioner.
    Peace. likes this.
  7. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I’m currently traveling with this setup, turnbuckles from frame to pegs.
    322F59E2-4665-440C-B838-0F26095D7907.jpeg 1CD8D905-DA47-4C64-B930-2A9B867DE220.jpeg
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's so weird to have the bike that won MDC last year in the shop it's not even funny :p3rry . In its stock form, not as an Xplorer like it was :becca
    Joakim has taken all the ABS off, the speedo, new air box, suspension sorted out, no main switches, no Euro stuff... It's amazing. CADing some new parts for the bike and was playing installed the new Aurora sprocket guard on the thing. The difference in the game is that one can replace the sprocket cover. Screw the cover on that one in the photo, will be making a custom one for Joakim's bike. ( https://aurora-rally.com/shop/sprcover/ )
    Testing also another ride by wire part thanks to @theantipaul . Narrower, it allows you to hide the starter button that can break during a fall.

69874102_2687755111451588_3572721193163161600_n.jpg
  9. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! I didn't notice the color!
  10. Unkgd

Unkgd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ones that I have are from Keeper. If I ordered a set today it would likely be the RHINO USA Soft Loop Motorcycle Tie Down Straps - Guaranteed 10,427lb Max Break Strength straps. These have double the breaking strength of the my current ones.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  11. Teun

Teun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx Asgard. Yes I think I also lack the patience. Will first try with a new ribbon and pay more attention to the where the tire bead is while working it over the rim at the opposite site. Still a pity that Husqvarna made these nipples so big, totally unnecessary if I look at other rims.
  12. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Would you mine sharing a photo of your ring install?
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  13. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found some tough climbers straps at REI and the same at MEC in Canada. They are a looped strap with a breaking force of 22NM or 6000lbs. I use the 23" ones looped around the lower triple clamp and fork and the shorter 11" ones on my luggage racks. They come in Honda Red or Husqvarna Yellow. They are officially 18mm Black Diamond Dynex Runners.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  14. Peace.

Peace. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi thanks for the reply i mentioned that it gets extremely hot because i had a Yamaha tt600r converted to sm a few years ago and although it had much less power than the Husky it was air cooled and it never felt this hot! Maybe if i remove the catalytic converter from the Akrapovic and put one of those aftermarket thermostats that are supposedly making the fans start at lower temperatures it'll feel cooler
  15. Peace.

Peace. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About the clutch i noticed it has some oil all over it at the point were you can adjust it and like i previoulsy said it's stiff..... also something else i noticed is that after the first day of riding the bike whenever i turn the key and switch it on i have an orange engine check on the screen wich doesn't go away as soon as i start the engine it disappears isntantly is that normal? And the annoying stalling keeps happening not only when i downshift but sometimes also when i blip the throttle if i have the clutch pulled in only.I know i have to give the dealer a call i just don't want to look like a completely noob if it's something i'm doing wrong. IMG_20190827_023840.jpg
  16. Folxam

Folxam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that.
    I managed to transplant another button into the housing, but I pondered to just extend the wiring to a cheapo 2T kill button on the bars ...
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That ck engine light is normal and signifies it is doing a self diagnostic. Wait for it to go out and then hit the starter button.
    As far as the stalling issue I would bet you have lost the little actuator pin behind the clutch lever. It's a common happening/ problem and most people don't know it's happened. Usually while changing levers
    Peace. likes this.
  18. Star_Platinum

Star_Platinum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My engine light goes away as soon as I hit the ignition button. Is this not normal?
  19. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had some pretty bad luck with my engine so I thought I would share.

At 11000 miles the cam was replaced by the dealer as the lobes developed holes in them.
    At 14000 I checked the valves and the dealer had put shims in smaller in diameter than the stock shims. I fixed this myself and sent an email to the dealer expressing my dis pleasure.
    At 19000 miles the head gasket blew. Since I no longer trusted the dealer I replaced it on my dime.
    At 23000 miles the leak down test showed 15% leakage so I pulled the head and found the intake valves were shot. Fixed on my dime.
    At 26800 miles found the cam was destroyed by a plugged oil jet. Replaced on my dime
    At 27100 miles second cam was destroyed by another plugged jet.

No one in the Sacramento CA area wants to work on this engine or even give me a quote. I will tear it down, split the cases and come up with a parts list for my repair this week end.

Husky will not be of any help because I did not take the bike back to the dealer earlier and make a big stink.

So now I know if you have any problems take the bike back to the dealer and leave it there no matter how long it takes.

I wanted to ride my bike so I was willing to spend the money and do each repair over a weekend and be up and riding the next weekend.

I have to assume my problems are a rarity. So I would like to know who has 40,000 to 50,000 miles of pretty trouble free miles on their bike.
    Yeravener3 likes this.
  20. tokig

tokig 17 Husqvarna 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took my right side panel off my 2017 701E to replace spark plugs.
    Have not had the panel off in awhile , maybe 5000 miles

I am seeing a hose that appears to be slipping off it's elbow. anybody got a photo?
    I am not looking at my hoses for this failure, could it be an over pressure of the cooling system?

I can feel, thru the rubber hose, an expanded end to the metal radiator elbow and this hose /clamp has moved to this expansion, it is visible in the photo.

20190828_hoseSlip1.jpg to confirm?