Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gotten a PC5 and map from Fuel Moto?
  2. stan23

stan23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my PCV from Fuel Moto for my 701. It came pre-loaded with the canned map from PCV's website.
  3. David Coulthard

David Coulthard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lets test how well this HQV 701 holds up on a mildly long journey.

I have had the 701 for almost 3 years now (2017 model) but have only done 41,000km so far, I think it may just about be run in now, time to add another 30,000 or so.

The plan - Travel solo from Sydney Australia to the UK (North Yorkshire) by as many dirt roads as possible along the route.
    Departure - 30th of November 2019
    Duration - About 6 to 8 months
    The route - See video

I was going to go through Turkey, but I decided to alter the plan once I heard that Saudi Arabia had announced that they are offering a Tourist Visas for the first time ever, who wouldn't want to be one of the first to visit Saudi Arabia on a motorcycle. I know by taking this Middle East route that some of the countries may be a little ambitious from a political, safety and visa perspective, but you have to have goals, route is unlikely to be exactly that planned as it will be adjusted as reality on the road rears its ugly head.

If anyone is in the Sydney area that weekend, or are are along my route, I am very happy to have you join me for a spell.

I will be documenting the route, see end of video
    dmcd, NSFW, jerryga and 21 others like this.
  4. ShawnKTM530EXC

Oddometer:
    Do you like it?
  5. stan23

stan23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. I had a Wings pipe and open air box. I wanted to give the bike more fuel. My bike ran great with those mods, and I liked it so much I did the same exact setup on my 2019 SMCR, but this time I ordered my PCV from Rottweiler and they gave me a map they developed.. It's not going to be as good as a custom dyno map, but i'm OK with its performance.

When the 2020 701 comes out, I may get that bike too and probably do the same mods again lol.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  6. ShawnKTM530EXC

Oddometer:
    Ok so, I finally found out something about my Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioner. I have the wrong one in there. Some were sold with a ridge around the body. The one for a 2018 701SM should be smooth with no ridge on it. DT is wondering how Rottweiler Performance was even able to get it in the bore. My guess is that they just hammered it in. That’s along with breaking my quick shifter sensor, melting my ignition wires, leaving my Wings mid pipe bolt out and putting the O2 sensor plug in so tight that I stripped the 8mm Allen hole trying to get it out. That’s after Chris told me that everything that leaves his shop is perfect. Yeah right!! I even complained to him when I picked it up that is was much noisier than before. He didn’t give a shit. I had my mechanic, who is as good as anyone, take it out when he check the valves. He said nothing is damaged. DT is sending me the correct cam chain tensioner, no charge. That’s customer service! So, after another hours worth of labor, I’ll get the correct one in and see if it works. I’m so tired of listening to an engine that’s a much louder sack of rocks, compared to the OEM setup. It’s seriously embarrassing! I’ll report the outcome.
  7. ShawnKTM530EXC

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  8. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, you're doomed too!
    We can open an new club together :-)
  9. ShawnKTM530EXC

Oddometer:
    What happened to you?
  10. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motor 3 times and shock absorber broken. And repair delay horribly long (4 month the first time, 2 month the second)
  11. CroatianHusky

CroatianHusky n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, new member here. I have been looking at getting this bike for a long while, and currently saving up for one when it becomes available in spring. However, I have a rather large concern and that is regarding the seat height. I am 5'10'' with a 29.5 - 30" inseam (measured by a set of jeans that I own) and am unsure if I will be able to comfortably put my feet down on this bike.

Bikes I have handled before in the past with no issues, if that means anything:
    • '02 Yamaha DT125R - 885 mm (34.8 inches)
    • '96 Husqvarna TE410 - 885 mm (34.8 inches)
    • '07 BMW G650 Xmoto - 900 mm (35.4 inches) - only test rode this one, but remember it feeling somewhat on the tall side though I could still reach (not flat foot)
    I am seeing now that the seat heights listed online for the 701 Enduro are 910 mm (35.8 in), Supermoto 890 mm (35.0 inches). I plan to do 70/30 Street/Dirt & Light gravel, so was going to buy the Enduro version and have a set of swappable wheels, but now I see on Husqvarna site that they list the seat height for the enduro model at 950 mm (37.40) :yikes, contrary to everything on the web. Did the seat height really increase that much on the latest model or are they just measuring differently? Debating whether to just get the Supermoto and forget the dirt, at least I should be able to comfortably sit on that one.

I know the logical thing would be to try one, but the dealer here in Croatia is completely sold out and won't be getting any more 701's until February or later, and given they'll probably get a very limited amount I would have to make a pre-order & put some money down right now. Would appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks :brow
  12. ShawnKTM530EXC

Oddometer:
    So, you got the Michael Phelps syndrome? Relatively tall with short legs? It’s hard to tell if that’s the case. I’m 5’9” with average proportions and I can flat foot it on my Supermoto. Still I don’t think you’ll have any problems. Especially, if your a good rider.
  13. CroatianHusky

CroatianHusky n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, that's the measurement I got from the jeans, though I've seen people measure inseam from their crotch to the floor, which would put it at 31.5", not sure which is correct. :dunno
    As I said, the BMW Xmoto was a bit of a stretch already, so as long as the 701 is not 37.40 tall as their website says... it should still be doable, I hope.
  14. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Having "QC" problems can happen, but to respond with the last sentence is very bothersome. I was going to use them for some things in the future. Now, I may rethink this...
  15. MatLax

MatLax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would get an X-Moto if I were you, I still miss my Rotax (TR650) and two years into owning my 701 I realise I should have bought another one instead...
  16. MatLax

MatLax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5'8" with about the same inseam and I lowered mine to accommodate (Kouba link 7/8"), I can't flat foot unless I really move one butt cheek off the seat and I need to choose on what side I put my foot down because there's no way I put both... Next bike will be lower for sure...
  17. Folxam

Folxam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't miss my old Rotax (XT660) as it was luggish and the gearbox was shite. Clunky gear shifts and tooooooo far between gears.
    The 701 is a different beast indeed, but I find it to be the better choice.
    E-gas and hydraulic clutch FTW!
  18. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 16 SM as well as a 2018 Enduro. I'm not sure of exact seat heights, but can tell you for sure there's more than .8" difference between the two. The SM feels like a small bike in comparison. Only you can decide what you need, but there have been a couple people reporting happiness with a 19" front wheel on an SM, with appropriate tires for off-road.
  19. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, not the same colour but the ktm 690 2019 is lower than the husky due to shorter suspensions, 250mm instead of 275, so maybe 2cm down.
  20. JesasaurusRex

JesasaurusRex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Takes me an hour just to get the valve cover off
    dirty_sanchez likes this.