Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MatLax

MatLax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The engine in the XT660 is a Yamaha engine and has nothing to do with the Rotax in the BMW/Husqvarna 650cc motorcycles, the chain isn't even on the same side... The Aprilia Pegasio used a Rotax then switched to a variation of the Yamaha engine though.
  2. MatLax

MatLax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Less suspension but thicker seat up to 2018, I don't know for the revision. The seat being narrower helps for short riders though, I can comfortably ride my friend's 690 even though it's not lowered vs my bike which sits 1'' lower than stock.
  3. cannonau

cannonau Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Are there any modifikations between the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models? Exept the forks.
  4. CroatianHusky

CroatianHusky n00b

Oddometer:
    Ugh. That sucks. It sounds like I would definitely be tip-toeing around on this thing more likely than not, and based on what you say the seat seems closer to 37.4 than 35.8, which is ridiculous. I don't know why they would make such a tall seat. I guess that I am going to go SM, a 701 Supermoto is still better than no 701 at all, and given that I've had that ride height before I know I will be able to fool around on it comfortably.

Unfortunately the only thing I feel when I look at the 690 is a big fat "meh". The Husky is just more visually appealing to me in every way, despite it being mostly a repaint of the same bike.
    sati8d, falcofred and DeLewis like this.
  5. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have a much different response when you ride the bike... I've got a 701 and that motor is absolutely fantastic! Especially after it's un-corked. Anything but "meh"...
    sati8d likes this.
  6. CroatianHusky

CroatianHusky n00b

Oddometer:
    No doubt the motor is equally good on the 690 as on the 701, it's the same engine after all. But I dunno, the KTM just doesn't sit as well with me. I've always been a Husqvarna fan, rode a TE410 some good years ago and have been planning to get a new one as soon as I had the financial capabilites to do so. I guess you could say I have a crush on the 701 :-)
  7. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same doubt few months ago, tried to buy a 2019 husky but the 690 was cheaper.
    Good points : husky = bigger suspensions, cheap plastics, accessories available (radiator guard...), nice yellow blue white, lot of stickers available to cover big white areas,
    Ktm : front is thinner (bike feels really smaller), husky seat feels really bigger, plastics easier to remove (no screws), some electronic gadgets : traction control for wet or icy roads, lean angle sensitive abs. Tank + 0,5L, bike feels more elaborate / less rough (plastics covering the tank), nice rear light, more dealers.
  8. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure you’d be very happy with either bike, they are very close with only minimal differences... especially in the 2019 models.
  9. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Me too-that second time though, I popped it right off with a crowbar in about a minute.
    hansi likes this.
  10. Folxam

Folxam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hah! Am I confusing it with my F800GS then? That's a Rotax, eh?

The XT660 was not made in Japan, it was made in France in some factory that also made scooters, that's why I thought it was a mere brand product.
  11. hardhat

hardhat Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    SO, Im short, with short legs (5'8 29"inseam) and "husky". But it's ok because also im not really a very good off-road rider... nfortunatly, I really, really love off road and adventure riding, and i was obsessing about the 701.

EASY TO FIX: I had a local shop (ESP Suspension in La Canada, CA) lower my suspension about 1.25". Yes, you can use lowering links, and yes, you can do it yourself, but George and his guys did an outstaning job (as i think any good shop could do). And yes, you lose some travel, but Im not doing much in the way of arials these days. And yes, your friends will think you are a girlieman (can i say that any more???) because you are not riding a "tall bike". But for me, it offers a big upside in confidence on tricky terrain so im more willing to ride more "fun" places. In addition to the lowering, they changed out the springs and set up the suspension perfectly for my weight/height/style. Also installed an XTrig pre-load adjuster so i can easily (1 minute) change the pre-load when i add bags and crap for a trip. The 701 is not a cheap bike. It was worth it to me to spend a bit and get the suspension properly sorted out for my size and riding style. Just one inmate's opinon.

This made the 701 the "best bike i ever owned" for me! (Don't think I'll ever sell it...) Just did a week ride up to Yosemite, then all over the mountain. I think it is a remarkably versitle bike!

Hope this helps.
  12. MatLax

MatLax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you might be confusing the two because the first F650GS used a Rotax thumper that was also found in the Pegasio and TR650 (different versions of the same engine in all models), then the F800/650GS (from 2008 onward) are both trims of the same motorcycle with a Rotax parallel twin, the thumper being relaunched in 2009 as the G650GS and to help remove some confusion they changed the name of the F650GS (twin) to F700GS in 2012...
    Salzig and Folxam like this.
  13. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2016 came with a slippery seat so finally put on a gripper seat cover off ebay, had to put it over the OEM cover as the foam and the cover is inseparable

dsc26-1024.jpg

dsc24-1024.jpg
    buzzword, Colorad0, PYG RYDR and 3 others like this.
  14. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great - thanks for the info!
  15. Teun

Teun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed the 2019 part number **3200 tensioner to my 2018 bike. Seems to cure the hot start 30 sec loud rattle, at least in the mild temperature condition of yesterday. If i listen carefully I still hear a slight hammer like cam drive sound at idle, maybe it is a bit on the loose side. Would buy it again, and would not take the gamble of manual tensioner.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  16. Panders

Panders Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the Aurora Rally Lite
    Sofia_87 and Panders like this.
  18. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    XT660 bikes were formerly made in Italy by Belgarda, the italian Yamaha importer. Then, some years ago, production was moved to Spain.
    The 660 engines (as well as the late 600) are made in Italy by Minarelli, which is owned by Yamaha.
  19. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Calgarian currently on assignment in Houston TX.
    8399C89B-ABF3-4BD1-BA68-FDCB60A65A6A.jpeg D1E62791-3DCF-4121-9D7E-5F2E84959C3E.jpeg Went playing in the beach sand today to test out my new tubliss front tire setup. Running a tire at 10 psi gave excellent deep sand control.
    sati8d, Kiwirich, Colorad0 and 6 others like this.
  20. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, the left comodo : light, turn signals, is not the oem one ?