Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Panders

Panders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am getting ready for my 10,000km/6200mile service and was looking at the maintenance schedule in the manual. Seems odd that they tell us to replace the in-line fuel screen at each service but the in-tank filter is never mentioned as ever needing to be changed.

Did I miss something? Any thoughts on when the in-tank filter should be changed?

I searched this thread and I see that some folks have removed that filter altogether and been fine. I worry, though, that the fuel pumps are already a bit iffy and having no pre-pump filtration would make that worse.
  2. Maugrim

Maugrim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, the dash is still in front of the handlebar with their solution. I want it on top
  3. Pooz

Pooz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better replace the intank filter every 10.000km.
    Better way is probably to change it for an Wix filter for example (33095)
    Filtration is better (10µ if I remember well) and is cheaper.
    I putted it on my bike before travelled in Morocco, 10.000 km ago.

My original paper filter was black after 10.000km, but no one told me to change it.
    Like that:
    http://ktmadventure.motards.net/t75...sur-690-enduro?highlight=filtre+à+essence+690
    Panders and a2zworks like this.
  4. Riel

Riel Explorer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the in-tank-filter at 20,000km only because I was installing the Aurora kit and thought it good preventative maintenance.

As I externally prefilter 90% of my fuel I figured it would be in excellent condition.
    To my surprise it was seriously plugged - simple blow test wise compared to the new filter.

The bike was still operating flawlessly - though I noticed my mileage had dropped as late.
    The hard line requires some persuasion to release and it helps to have access to the fuel line clip pliers though with enough patience a simple set of linesmen pliers will do the job as well.

I now prefilter 100% via Guglatech.

IMO if you frequently ride alone and/or remote change the filter in the comfort of your shop now.
    Panders and Kiwirich like this.
  5. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @CAMMShaft
    As mentioned by @a2zworks
    Its the Evo 1 map. If your dealer can't do it , perhaps you could ride to a different state etc.
    As a trip of course, and get it done. For closed course competition perhaps.
    The difference is really nice to ride.

Kiwirich
    a2zworks likes this.
  6. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 30000 miles my in tank filter was plugged enough to starve the bike on the top end, idled and ran fine at low speeds. Bike now has 48k miles and I will change it again at 50k.
  7. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I change ALL fluids filters and oil at half specified intervals, 3100miles.
    I removed the in tank filter and repositioned outside, even at these intervals the filter element is black inside, I use a CanAm P/N 709-000-100 metal body fuel filter.
    It has been reported by @renogeorge that the plastic filters do rupture in the tank loosing fuel pressure, it may be a good idea to replace with metal body while you’re in there anyway.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  8. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I’ve never seen a specific recommendation on filter replacement. I change mine at 10,000 miles. They are cheap and the job is easy at home-not so easy on the road. FWIW
    a2zworks likes this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The service manual calls for a fuel pressure check every 10k km. in lieu of a filter change. I changed mine at around 7,000 miles out of a desire to avoid that kind of "adventure riding".
  10. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    3A1BECD6-13D9-498A-8689-513018A9030B.jpeg That is what it looked like at 30000 miles and yes I changed it over to a metal bodied Wix unit
    a2zworks likes this.
  11. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I believe the NAPA filter is made by Wix. That's where I buy mine.
    justlookin likes this.
  12. swetard

swetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd think they get them pretty much at the same time. Previous years it has been sometime in january (my 2019 came to the dealer in mid january)
    Just pick one that is close and has a good reputation. I live in between the two CEC sites with gothenburg a bit closer and have had nothing but good experiences with them in my motocross days and i am super happy with buying one of the last my19s there a few days ago.

Overall the dealers here in sweden seem to have a very good reputation, the only one i have heard bad about is that place that sell a lot of boats, but since it was a while ago and i haven't dealt with them myself i'll just leave it there.
  13. Maugrim

Maugrim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That place, Marin & Fritid, is the one closest but I'll talk to others aswell negotiating prices
  14. swetard

swetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i don't have any personal experience regarding them, but from what i have heard and how many times they have ended up being taken to ARN, i'd stay clear even if they were closest. But that is just me :)
    Maugrim likes this.
  15. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also from the picture, would like to see up close the fuel piping.
    And it seems that they use the stock 701 fuel pump. So, actually instead of creating a redundant system, you know have double the trouble :D
    Kiwirich, Salzig and David Coulthard like this.
  16. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The price is real. That's the official catalogue price that we got from people at HQV.
    For the comparison, it's two different kits, they add fuel but in a completely different way. There is no comparison. To me IMS is narrower from the measurements, the design and looks of the HQV from the front are close to a KLR 650.
    David Coulthard likes this.
  17. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    So uh...you guys would have saved me a lot of time in taking my bike to the dealer for speedo not working if I would have replaced the ~$60 ABS switch myself. I've got a new electrical gremlin now.

My neutral light isn't lighting up. I didn't even begin to troubleshoot or look into anything. I trucked for a ride in the Pine Barrens in NJ and just offloaded it into garage when I got home. It started at some point on that ride. Any ideas? Just an LED out (doubtful) or something more sinister? My warranty expires in about 5 weeks...
  18. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Remove the headlight (3 Torx screws) and confirm the rubber plug w/LED pushed into the backside of the green neutral globe hasn't become dislodged.

There's not much friction holding these three led bulbs (neutral, oil, turn bulbs) in place. I've had one dislodge itself before.
  19. Panders

Panders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume this is what you are talking about:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-and-improved-ktm690-wunderfest.722987/page-1576
    I am confused by that. Isn't the in-tank filter before the fuel pump, but doing this mod putting it after the fuel pump? Do you now have no pre-pump filtration?

I bought the stuff to replace the in-line fuel screen with the Golan filter and I am planning to do that while performing the service. That's basically this "external filter" mod, no?
  20. Maugrim

Maugrim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2020 701 enduro for delivery mid December . Anticipating Black Friday in order to spend my last money on bags, exhaust and rade axillary storage 701%20ENDURO%202020%20(18).jpg