Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    The oem setup includes a screen on the inlet side of the pump and an in line filter after the pump but ahead of the pressure regulator. Guys are adding the external, Golan etc either in addition to the in tank or removing the in tank. Personally, I retain the in tank and have the Golan too. I am not comfortable with the small filter surface of the Golan stand alone. And removing the in tank filter leaves the regulator unprotected. The outlet side filtration gets all the talk. IMO the inlet side is more important. I use the Profill there, protecting pump and regulator. These bikes are easily stopped by fuel contamination. Skimping on filtration is just not smart IMO. FWIW
    sharpie1, Panders, sati8d and 3 others like this.
  2. Twigsterify

Twigsterify Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2019 enduro for about 2k less, and added stuff back for about 1.5k:D
    Going to trade in my 1190. I already test drove an 2018 model, was in love with it. But I wasn't sure how it would survive my highway dependency here in the Netherlands.
    After I drove my dad's 1200gsa I saw the light.
    The 1190 isn't better at highway drives, the turbulence is a nightmare.
    The only better thing is the windprotection which the 701 doesn't have, but I rarely drive above the 75mph anyways.

Hopefully they have everything installed this Saturday so I can pick it up
    Colorad0, sati8d, a2zworks and 2 others like this.
  3. jams229

jams229 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF! I'm selling my bike before I get to 30,000 miles! :-)
  4. CAMMShaft

CAMMShaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with the dealer again today. He said the EVO map is showing as not available, even though it appears it once was. He wondered if it was removed from their system because of the California emissions crap. He said they also took away their dirt bike maps. Has anyone in the U.S. had success with a dealer loading a map on a 2017 or 2018?

CAMM
  5. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Nope
  6. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Hi, the pump has a reusable strainer at the bottom (inlet), I run a Profill filter instead.
    http://www.profill-australia.com/store/hus03-p67622
    I think renogeorge explains it quiet well 5 posts above.
    Any doubts ask me again.
    Panders and dirty_sanchez like this.
  7. swetard

swetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Where did you end up buying it? :)
    I am hoping to put in the the first day-trip with mine this weekend. So far i have only had the time to ride 35km with it since it didn't show up as mine at Transportstyrelsen until monday at 19:30 and i had a surgery on my shift-foot big toe yesterday. :becca
    Maugrim likes this.
  8. Maugrim

Maugrim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought it from Marin & Fritid in Laxå since I got the first service free of charge (and they are closer to home which sadly seems to be important with non Japanese bikes)
  9. swetard

swetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet to get the first one free! I was stupid and just bought it without negotiationg. But hey, i am still young and dumb.
    Where are you situated? :)
    Maugrim likes this.
  10. cookieGB

cookieGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been told by a dealer that the Evo map can be flashed to my 19 bike. Not had it done though, so...
  11. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna are probably blocking access to the map for the US-based dealers for CARB emissions compliance.
    NoelJ likes this.
  12. Hybridchemistry

Hybridchemistry ...

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks, I just picked up a 701 recently, and it has the pre-2018 style decompression mechanism. I've read through many posts on here regarding non-start issues and wanted to share my experience. Numbered (30) notes are in reference to the parts fiche screenshot below.

Before doing anything, my friend recommended me to put the bike on a stand and lift the rear wheel, shift up to 6th gear, and then try to rotate the wheel all the way through. If you can rotate the wheel all the way through with minimal resistance, the decompressor is probably working. If it does not - you may be in the same situation where I was, where it feels like the engine is just stuck after a certain point - but if you go beast mode, you can push it through.

What's going on here? When the cam, and decompressor (32), are moving at "slow" RPMs, a spring (31) puts tension on tab inside the cam, pushing it towards one of the exhaust valve lobes. When the cam rotates around, that tab adds a little bit of lift to cam - leaving one valve open and reducing compression to almost nothing as the engine turns over. This is fine and normal!

As the cam continues to be driven by the starter it picks up enough speed so that the centrifugal forces push the decompressor weight on the chain side of the cam "outwards" (planar with the cam sprocket), allowing a shaft inside the decompression mechanism to slide, allowing the tab to move out of the way of the exhaust cam lobe, giving you full compression, and then combustion.

In my case, the decompressor tab would get stuck in the 'engine running' position (off of the cam lobe), creating full compression when the starter would attempt to turn the engine over. The starter motor just doesn't have enough power to turn over an engine with ~12.7:1 compression ratio, and a stronger motor isn't really the solution. Occasionally the tab would return to it's 'engine off' position (on the cam lobe, creating lift), and I would be able to start the bike, but it was rare.

After much inspection, and beer, into how this was getting stuck in the running position, we saw that the bore in which the shaft rides through was fairly sloppy, possibly causing stiction. Additionally, the spring in the back side of the cam did not seem to have enough tension to overcome this stiction and return the tab to the 'engine off' position.

Our solution was to increase tension from the spring by adding preload. In it's stock form, according to the parts fiche at least, there is a ball bearing and a spring in the backside of the cam providing tension to the tab. The parts fiche is incorrect in the order of assembly - the ball bearing should be between the spring and the tab.

Not having much around, but finding a 1/4" (6.34mm) ball bearing on the floor of my friends garage, and that was only slightly larger than the 6mm ball bearing found in the cam, we decided to toss that in as extra tension. Without pulling the plug on the back side of the cam, remove the circlip holding in the decompression mechanism (be careful, there's a pin on the end that the tab pivots on, and it can fall out), and then taking a long thin magnet to grab the bearing and spring. Also be aware of a pin (33) behind the weight, it got stuck to the magnet more than once.

Re assembly is: insert spring, hold in place through tab hole in the cam (a precision flat head works for this), carefully insert and hold stock bearing in place against the spring in the back of the cam, then insert second bearing and hold in place. This took several attempts and at least two people. Clean, and grease the moving parts of the decompressor, and carefully insert into cam. Use the thin magnet to pull the tab up through the hole in the cam, and release the bearings and spring tension. While holding the decompressor in place, reinsert the circlip.

After putting the cam cover back on, and hitting the starter, the bike turned on just fine. Several more starts went just as well. Hopefully this information helps someone else with an earlier model 701.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 8.10.25 AM.png

Many thanks to @sjuels and @turborsti
    Martinpan, Perun, Pooz and 7 others like this.
  13. Maugrim

Maugrim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm old and stupid and situated in Örebro
    swetard likes this.
  14. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've made another observation regarding finally getting the correct Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioner in the motor. I gave my 701 a hard break in. And, up until about 3000 miles, it did not burn one drop of oil. And I'm not easy on the motor. As soon as Rottweiler Performance installed the incorrect tensioner, my 701 started burning oil. In fact, after 105 miles riding it home from their shop, it burned a noticable amount of oil. About 103 of those miles was low rpm freeway riding. When I let it warm up for 5 minutes and gave the throttle a good blip, I could see it blow smoke out of the Wings. I was really bummed out about this. My 530 burned a ton of oil and I hated it. As soon as I got the correct tensioner in the motor, BTW the new one sounds fantastic, as soon as I got it in there, it stopped burning oil. I'm at about 2000 miles into the new tensioner and it hasn't burned a drop of oil yet. Did I mention how great the motor sounds now?
    Thomas-G and sati8d like this.
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to hear how cam chain tension causes oil consumption.
    Maugrim, darren70 and buzzword like this.
  16. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A loose cam chain causes a vibration or shuttering in all the parts that are moved by the cam chain and the cam. That allows oil to seep past the valves stem seals.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  17. r65guy

r65guy n00b

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested how the LR tank looks like from the rider's position, I took this pic at EICMA

584d65d6-52fa-4cc4-9c78-4577c8f13195.jpg
    Perun, jacinto, Bhart89 and 5 others like this.
  18. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year is your 701? Anything major you have had to deal with beyond regular maintenance at that milage? What kind of riding do you do? thx
  19. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2017, replaced the water pump at ~ 20k miles. Reality is I consider this bike primarily a gravel travel bike but it has also done a lot of road travel. Has been a great, reliable bike and one of my all time favorites. I am 63 years young and riding since 1968, that’s a lot of bikes.
    Kiwirich, sati8d, DrHeinrich and 2 others like this.
  20. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, the tanks really stick out quote a bit for a dirt bike, but they didn't seem to add any replaceable protection, like the 790 has.

Really can't see crash bars on that tank; would be REALLY wide! I'd prefer a compromise: 2L less, and half the width.