Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you selling because of the vibrations ?
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I own a business and I've been shut down since March 17. Have lost a boatload of cash and expected to be back working by now.

Going to try doing a different business and need to free up capital.

Edit: I recently retourqued the handlebar risers into the top clamp and the bars are smooth again.
  3. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I pulled the weights from the handlebars, got some new grips installed and am going back to stock mirrors. Getting ready to sell/more testing.

Protaper Pillow Grips? Can't remember the exact model but AOMC sells them. Will try them later.

IMG_20200803_090232.jpg

Did some two track, power line roads, and wash running this morning. Been a few weeks since I've ridden it. Maybe more other than testing.

I love how smooth the suspension is. With settings on comfort. You don't have to worry much about medium to smaller rocks and ruts.

Even flew down into an unfamiliar wash with deep truck ruts on my descent and the bike just floats over this stuff.

I cut my teeth on DR350's and 650's for most of my dual sport riding and they just bounced you everywhere and never let you willingly go where you wanted.

Not so with the 701. Mid turn corrections, hit some unexpected bumps at speed and it just stays smooth the whole time. I'm running street pressure too.

IMG_20200803_060844.jpg

IMG_20200803_061107.jpg

IMG_20200803_061229.jpg
    Riel, Bergweiserus, KiwiPewe and 12 others like this.
  4. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool terrain - is this what a lot of Nevada looks like?
    Chillis likes this.
  5. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You bet.

Pine forest at high elevation plus dry lake beds.

Tons of public land that hopefully doesn't get spoiled in my lifetime due to growing populations.

This is a 25 minute cruise from my house.
    Barry likes this.
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks hot, but the "no people" thing is pretty compelling. Thanks for the insight!
    Chillis likes this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I left just after 5am. Got home around 8. No sweating. Was cool there because it is partway up some mountains.

It is getting too hot at the moment to be out other than just before sunrise to a couple hours after.

Things get awesome fall through spring.

Summer is like a cold climate's winter for us.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  8. zekd

zekd Based in Austin, Texas.

Oddometer:
    Need your thoughts... I love the Scramblers that are out in the market. Y'all think that putting a 19in front rim on my 701 SM would work? I think it would be an awesome setup but have not come across someone that has done this. I mostly ride street and will hit dirt about once a month so I think the 19in would be perfect for the riding I do off road (dirt fire roads, desert) and look killer with a scrambler type stance.

I don't think I would need to do anything with caliper spacers since I will be using the stock SM hub / rotor / caliper setup. All I need is a 19in rim and a set of custom spokes.

It makes sense in my head... am I crazy?
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might hit up this guy that had that exact wheel setup for sale and see what he has to say.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-...with-anakee-wild-690-701-501-450-350.1418833/
    zekd likes this.
  10. zekd

Oddometer:
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I did this when I had the CRF450L.

Put an SM rear wheel and a 19" front.

It worked ok. Plenty of performance on the road side of things but the dirt wasn't near as good. Didn't have the stability or traction of proper dirt wheel and tire sizes.

If you are doing basic dirt road riding it is fine.

Don't expect to be able to go fast in rocky conditions.

I wouldn't do it again. I'd have a setup for each usage type if I could.

IMG_20190905_122934.jpg

IMG_20190927_140216.jpg
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  12. zekd

Oddometer:
    Good feedback. I mostly just ride desert roads and some basic single track. I plan to use my 701 as my light weight ADV bike and eventually get a dedicated dirt bike. I have some Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on my 17" rims now and it works well but have to be super cautious on the bumpy and soft sandy spots. That's why I think the 19" up front will make this perfect for all my adventure needs.
    KiwiPewe and Chillis like this.
  13. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had thought about a 19" front for more sidewall and width for floating in sand and saw people pretty much always did 17/19 or 18/21 combos do to keeping a balanced tire height.......

That said....By specs, a 90/90-21 is pretty close to the same diameter as a 110/80-19 or 100/90-19 depending on manufacturer? Is it really that big of a difference? About 3/8" more sidewall and width?

I sure wish many manufacturers would make us a tubeless 100/80-21 for the adv bikes. Just installed a 90/100-21 on the 701 for a little more rim protection, but hard to touch the ground now!
    Chillis likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    The 19" wheels and tires are wider and a little shorter. They don't dig down into the terrain to grip the ground beneath the dirt and rock. The width also hits more rocks on the trails which knocks them off line and makes them less stable in a straight line over rougher conditions.

They also tend to weigh a little more.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  15. zekd

Oddometer:
    Looking to check the valves. Just hit the 6k mark. Called my local KTM dealer. They quoted me 3hrs to check the valves and .5hrs per valve that needs to be shimmed. I even told them I would bring them the bike with the airbox already removed...

Does this sound right? $400+ for a valve check & possible adjustment?
  16. Lutzebub

Lutzebub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the German forum they say 500€, approximately $570 are absolutely normal...
  17. Tyestick

Tyestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chillis,

How’s that ‘Factory Pro’ shift kit working out for you?

After searching the forums, I saw that you had one installed, but information online is pretty limited.

False neutral’s suck.

Did you also have the upgraded ‘shift star’ installed as well?

Attached Files:

18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I never installed it and as the bike has broken in I don't get false neutrals anymore.

It still sits on a shelf.
    Tyestick likes this.
  19. Tyestick

Tyestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the shift Star too?
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Never opened it up to see.

Long story short, I didn't have the gasket in time to get it done when it was in the shop so I was going to do it at the valve adjustment at 6k service.

Haven't made it that far yet.