Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. waldecker

waldecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run that set-up, the carbon cover had to be cut at the front to accommodate the steering damper pin; I use the Aurora pin mount and with that no issues regarding the filler neck.
    cwk likes this.
  2. FlyingFish

FlyingFish The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    Was it 20-50 (mineral), or 15-50 (synthetic)?
    I'm considering switching to mineral for 1 oil change to try and eliminate some of the excess oil burning.
    Thanks
  3. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Can you post up a "before/after" tuning dyno sheet? I'm on the fence regarding a PC5...
  4. stephlal

stephlal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a post in this thread or the 690 one that shows all the dyno gains after every mod.
    I also debated the PC5 and pulled the trigger as I was committed to doing the airbox (rade aux tank was a must for me) + muffler regardless...what's another $300 to clean up the entire range?
    I rode a 19 stock back to back with my 20 last month, the bikes are identical except for my 20 with the wings, dongle, rade airbox, PC5...the real world difference is substantial, IF you are in the powerband and like to throttle the shit out of the bike.
    I personally was returning my bike stock if it wasn't for these mods, I really hated how it ran <40% throttle.
    2 other guys in my club run their 690's stock and are in love with their bikes.
    How you ride and what's acceptable to you plays heavily into these decision, don't get hung up on the numbers only.

What's another $300 to ensure you have the proper mixture across the band? I plan on keeping my bike for a long time, cheap insurance...forget the HP gains for a second...
  5. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    My main goal is/was to loft the front wheel up/over obstacles with minimal forward movement. (Think along a "trials" situation.)
    Currently, in the stock configuration, too much throttle is needed to loft the front, for me. Then again, I'm comparing the 701, to either 2 stroke open class race bikes, or 500cc thumpers from the 80's. I'm happy with the "WFO" performance of the 701. It's just really limp off idle and < 40-50% throttle. It is this "soft" area that I'd like to "snap-up" a bit.
    For the record, I have a Wings and am looking at the Rade A/C with trough for stuff. Don't need the add'l fuel cap'y. Debating on going with dongle from you-know-who...
  6. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    You need to trim the carbon fiber piece to fit the steering damper pin mount, otherwise, it's all good.
    j.
    Tyestick and cwk like this.
  7. Marekp

Marekp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did anyone tried adding weights to the ends of handlebar to reduce vibrations ?
    I wanted to try something cheaper before mounting things like BRP mount.
    I just finished a 3.5kkm trip and must admit that I don't like the vibrations on 21 701. Vibrations on my old 640 adventure were bit more pleasant ;) I'm guessing on 640 it was more amplitude, less frequency. Here it's a constant buzz that makes hands numb (only on asphalt, offroad is a different story).
    willh likes this.
  8. raschaa

raschaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beyond the 7 mountains, with the 7 dwarfs
    Here in Germany/Austria there are a couple of companies offering map flash on oem ECU for 701 for eu3/4 models. Seems the better route than a piggyback solution ala PC5 or Coober...

This is one of the software developers site
    https://www.ecustudio.com/bikes/Husqvarna/701.html
    WSobchak, renogeorge and cwk like this.
  9. sjh

sjh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    willh likes this.
  10. Marekp

Marekp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got heated grips which I like :) So not to keen to change grips. I have Barkbusters handguards and they sell weights that can be added to the mounting (180 g each, not much). I'm just wondering if someone tried similar solutions and if it was effective.
    sjh likes this.
  11. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:

Any photos of your setup? Thanks.
  12. jams229

jams229 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bemiiten, willh and Brmax like this.
  13. nsrrider

nsrrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made some custom steel cylindrical weights, about 5 inches long with o-ring isolators on each end and shoved them into the bars. Wasn't worth the effort in my case. I also have the BRP bar isolators---which also seem to have only a minimal impact on vibration. I also ran strips of rubber inner-tube around the bars where they clamp into the bar mounts. All these efforts only minimally reduce bar vibration when I compare back-to-back with my buddy's new KTM (mine is 20 LR) I know there is just so much you can do with a big thumper---and I want to emphasize the bike is amazingly smooth, all things considered. My goal was just to see how much better I could make it.
    Marekp likes this.
  14. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another good option where it is available. I do like the fact that you can play with re mapping yourself with the PC. While I haven’t tried it, the PC with Data Logger recording A/F to guide remap, sounds like a great option for those wanting to spend the money. FWIW
    greasyfatman likes this.
  15. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that there is a straight-four engine like buzz, but it's not worse than the 640 Adventure. I prefer high frequency over rattle. I am more worried about my GPS unit. Actually I am just looking for M4 damper bolts.
    WAZZUCoug likes this.
  16. Marekp

Marekp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also thinking about maybe making rigid weights to be put inside bar ends. But making sure they are well in contact with the handlebar itself. Solid metal rod cut into 2 parts at some angle (30-45 deg) and drilled both parts, threaded one part. So it would be set into place by driving the screw in. Just like old type bicycle steering mounts (you get the idea): [​IMG]
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t have the data logger but do have the wide band sensor. I developed a map from the sensor. When riding in lots of dust and with big elevation change I can feel a difference when I switch to the wide band.

Also plaid with the excel pump feature to get the pumper carb feel I was missing.
  18. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Scotts_BRP_HDB.jpg
    WSobchak and GSteve like this.
  19. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here you go. This is stock setup vs the Wings/Rade/PC5. I do not have a print out of with and without the PC5. Very happy with the results of this setup is that the meat of the power (where the vertical line at 5.949 RPM is) yields over 7hp/6ft/lbs torque gain while the MPG remains an average of 50.

Attached Files:

WSobchak and Norty01 like this.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would definitely fear a lean condition with out the PC5.

stock A/F would be interesting.