Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here you go, all the information you need. TLDR version, it is possible, but not advisable to run SM caliper with up to a 19" front wheel. Much better off using an aftermarket SM caliper with enduro forks though. Main thing would encourage you not to overlook is tripleclamp offset. Lots of people slap SM wheels on their bikes and call it a day, but the rake/trail are way off. Numbers and solutions are in the link to my build thread shared.
    JHof44 likes this.
  2. willh

willh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the 19” wheel on a SM I assume that the spokes are very close to the calliper? I did this on my 640SM, 19/18” wheel set for dirt road fun. Was thinking an adventure 19” would eventually find its way to the front of my new SM.
  3. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.... are we done with the 11mm thing?

Asking for a friend
    Doc Sarvis, KiwiPewe, raschaa and 4 others like this.
  4. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too close, fitting radial-mounted 4-piston SM caliper to FS450 forks (shorter AER w/radial caliper mount) and 16MM offset SMR tripleclamps requires heavy grinding on caliper and clearances are still only marginal. Do not recommend. Use regular enduro forks and 320mm caliper adapter w/aftermarket SM caliper if you want something better than stock.
    willh likes this.
  5. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hitting the KAT in 2 days with this setup... hopefully nothin falls off.

Attached Files:

KiwiPewe, seasider and srv256ss like this.
  6. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You love to see it...
    IMG_0979.JPEG

The harness that runs across the top of the valve cover is melting some. Last thing I want is it to continue to the actual wiring. I don't even know how hot it gets in there, obviously pretty hot...tape out? Cut and zip tie some heat shrink? Any better options?

IMG_0980.png

Also, previous owner installed an antigravity Li battery, I didn't know they have terminals on both sides, the battery holder is metal and they weren't covered....that was a shocking revelation
    WSobchak likes this.
  7. Racerx43

Racerx43 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    raschaa and zoink like this.
  8. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack
  10. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you have for a tent or hammock?

let me know what you think on that front tire when your done.

I am running the LBL 200 next weekend on the TCK80 I have few other tires I could put on though. Desert IT hard or tusk POS. Think I have a cheater too.

it’s just that the 701 gets me to crazy pavement speeds and some hard lean angles do to over cooking a turn. Hmm I might have a T63 front to put on. I hate to go down on pavement with a front wash out.
  11. LoneWolfNick

LoneWolfNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a tent, the Big Anges copper spur bike packing tent, gotta love the small size of the poles for that thing...

So far I love the tire... I was using the mt21 on the front but they didn't last as long as I wanted. So switch to the desert HT front last year for the NEBDR and it handled beautifully. Actually if you zoom in on the picture it's the same one I used so thats approximately 1800 miles and still looks brand new..

I ran the tkc80 for the last 2000 on the front and loved it on the slab but right when I hit gravel it felt like it wanted warsh out and dump me.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  12. cranks

cranks Cranks

Oddometer:
    I was changing oil this weekend and happened to notice the right side filter housing is not entirely flush inside where the outer cover joins the right side case, is this normal? It’s like an 1/8” offset you can see in the image below. Anyone else notice this on their bike? Just curious. Thanks! 061CAA2B-E28E-4A4E-B141-D4996DF725D5.jpeg
  13. hardhat

hardhat Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find a thin Lobtex adjustable wrench and a

I've had very good experience with the Motoz's on my 701. I've found the RallZ to be very good for tarmac/trail/tarmac sort of riding. Very "thick" lugs (2X thcker than the tkc's) so ive gotten very good wear : 3-5K miles rear depending on terrain and speed - but much better thatn TKC-80's no matter how you slice it. They have pretty good traction on tarmac. They do vibrate more on tarmac than the tkc's, but worth it to me for the offroad performance. I have fasstflexx handlebars which get rid of most of the vib. But they are noisy. Also, obvoiusly, i prefer the 701 to any of the mid-sized twins (890, Tenera, BMW 850, Triumph, etc.) due to the 100lb+ weight savings, so I am willing to give up some tarmac comfort for the offroad performance.

Perfornamce offroad MUCH better than TKC 80's, and last longer. Performance on tarmac perhaps not quite as good as TKC80's - but were plenty good for my needs. Ive not used them in cold weather or on much wet pavement (though they hook -up just fine in the snow!) I also like the MOtoz Tractionator Adventure. very similar tire but blocks are a bit closer together. better on pavement, but give up some on trail. My current set up is Rallz rear, Adventure front. seems to be a pretty good compromise.

Last summer i rode the 701 from LV to Wyoming, then aired down and ran the COBDR, then air up, back to Moab, air down, remove load, adjust Pre-trig, 3 days around Moab, then back home to vegas. LOTS of varied terrain but the tires plus the adjustability of the Pre-trig mad the trip outstanding. I am amazed at how well the 701 works as a real "adventure/dual sport" bike for folks that really like to ride more challenging off-road sections. I could not imagine doing some of the stuff i ride on my 950 or one of the heavier twins. (Im short and not that great of a rider, so the 100lb savings is important to me!)

Also, i drop tire pressure to 20psi when running the bike off road, unloaded. Perhaps 22 or so loaded (about 60 lbs gear). This has (thus far) provided me exellent improvment in traction while offroad, with no pinchflats thus far. (Knock on wood.) I know a lot of guys here do not air down when offroad, but for me, the performance difference is huge, and it is very easy to carry a small airpump to air up for the tarmac sections.

I ride mostly in the desert. LOTS of rocks (big sharp ones) plus pea-gravel, lots of sand, etc. But not much wet/mud/moss (like i use to have to deal with when i lived in NJ!)

Tires are personal and controversial. YMMV but I hope this is helpful.
    WSobchak, KiwiPewe, Riel and 3 others like this.
  14. el_heinzo

el_heinzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hardalpitour 2021 :rogue

AEC661B2-C2B2-4FBE-8E96-D50677AE282C.jpeg F4BE0A19-B09E-4586-9740-EBE0153D2C62.jpeg A6E283F2-68F0-40B7-9EED-2902D9FEBD75.jpeg CE31C1C0-C3EC-4A7C-BFBD-00D5E4967E1A.jpeg
    mehoww, dstutz, bikerjim2000 and 8 others like this.
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Pulled the Motortek racks and Mosko mounts off. Putting bike back in trail mode. Boots are doing a good job wearing down the racks! Put my Wolfman bags back on.

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
  16. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Tires are in short supply so I’m trying the Tractionator Enduro ST. Looks similar in terms of aggressiveness to the Pirelli Midhard. Looked pretty done after almost exactly 3000 kms.
    IMG_0910.jpg
  17. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know where is located the "gas-level sensor".
    Photo(s) or description are more than welcome.
    thanks!

rear tak - gas level.PNG

looks like this:

58207080100.PNG
  18. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Front left side of the gas tank. You can see it if you look to the right of the shock compression adjustment.
    GeorgeD likes this.
  19. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Will try to allocate it tomorrow during daylight.
    Do you happen to know if it's hard to get access to it and remove it?
  20. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Raising the tank is pretty easy, just have to take some junk off to let it move around freely. Side cosmetic plastics, exhaust hanger bolt, then the 2 lower tank bolts. Cant remember if you have to completely remove the muffler to get to everything, I did to get to the shock easier...not a big deal either way. Once it's up its very easy to access.

Make sure the fuel level is low and have a bucket ready. I'm doing some work on the bike currently so I took a pic. This is with the tank up at about 90 deg.

IMG_0994.jpeg