Husqvarna 701 Super Moto and Enduro!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dozer720, Aug 13, 2015.

1. zoink

zoink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had tripleclampmoto engine covers on my last 701, and PO put them on this one. Ended up not using them because they just became dirt collectors, and if there was anything gritty like sand or small rocks it would vibrate against the engine covers and remove the finish like sandpaper. Are there any options out there like they make for the DR/DRZ, just a disc that sticks onto the outside? Little bit of added protection without collecting junk. Only other options I've seen are carbon fiber in a similar design to the tcm ones.

Follow up to this just in case anyone was in the same boat. Found 2 options:

https://www.adventurespec.com/shop/product/adventure-spec-mini-fairing-11#attr=23,28
    https://www.rallymotoshop.com/collections/adventure-riders/products/universal-navigation-clamps

Only downside is neither of them will fit with the HDB handguards that are on my bike. So either have to swap handguards or find another solution :(.
  2. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    WSobchak and zoink like this.
  3. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - do you know if turning the ABS off (hitting the big ABS button) turns off front and rear ABS or just the rear? I have a 2021 US model without the dongle. The owners manual makes it sound like it's all turned off, but my husband has a 690 Enduro and he believes that just turns off the rear ABS. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer in this thread.

Edit - reading b/w the lines on the dongle, looks like it's needed to switch off just the rear ABS, so sounds like hitting the big ol' ABS button shuts off front and rear.
  4. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless something has changed for 2021, you’re right - the button disables both, and the dongle is needed for front-only “off-road” ABS. That’s how it works on the 2020 690 as well.
    CaptnSlo likes this.
  5. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    smackyface and willh like this.
  6. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you found replacement fork protectors (#27001094100) for the enduro model in other colors than white or yellow? I was told that other Husqvarna/KTM parts don't fit, even if they look quite the same. How about the black ones in the 690?
  7. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bergos has several colors even for front fender and headlight mask (black, blue, white, yellow).

Regarding the fork protectors I find in black:
    https://www.bergos.de/zubehoer/plas.../husqvarna-gabelschutz-set-701-enduro-schwarz

and grey:
    https://www.bergos.de/zubehoer/plas...sqvarna-gabelschutz-set-701-enduro-nardo-grey

Hope it helps
  8. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock 21" Enduro wheel will fit, just need to space out the rotor and axle on the caliper side. Utilize the SMC rotor spacer and wheel spacers too.

I thought the Brembo caliper would be locking up the front wheel off road, but to be honest, it's just fine. Knobbies reduce the braking power a bit on their own, at least the TCK-80s did on mine. Needless to say, had to back out all of the rebound and compression A LOT! First ride almost kicked me out of the seat before I adjusted it!
    willh likes this.
  9. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the lowest seat height achievable ?

Looking for light, low and powerful can I get all 3 ?
  10. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the cruise sitting position the seat foam is only 1” thick!
    Moving up towards the peg centerline it max’s out at 2-1/4 thick or very very near that.
  11. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first year of the 690 Enduro was pretty short. Then they added suspension travel and took away the tachometer for a few years. Eventually (going off memory, maybe around 2014?) they brought back shorter suspension and a tachometer. Those bikes were shorter than my 701 and might be a good place to start. I’d ask the guys in the 690 thread.
  12. DIYPSCM

DIYPSCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone else's 701 have the headlight lighting up street signs & not the road? My '21 was delivered with it WAY too high, using up all of the adjustment & it's still too high?? :hmmmmm
  13. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta xtrainer
    Yeti2ride likes this.
  14. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the bulb installed correctly?
  15. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big of a guy are you #### These things are sprung for 170-180. Have you checked the rear sag?
    Even after I resprung my rear to my weight category and set my sag I still found the headlight too high for MY liking. I took the headlight off and added some washers behind the top adjustment screws to get more down aim.
    dstutz likes this.
  16. Brmax

Brmax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great point; regards to sag adjustment, and it seems ever changing if loaded for trips.
  17. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Valve clearances in owners manual are 10K klm (6200miles) Question: used for adventure riding has this been necessary, or do most folks let it slide to 15-20K? My old 09 690 used to continually tighten the exhaust valves but I assume the motors are better now? It's the only bit of serving I'm not comfortable doing and the dealer wants around $800 NZ to do it. Looking at a new or newish 701 is all.
  18. FlyingFish

FlyingFish The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    My 2018 had the exhaust valves go out of spec at 3,000 miles! Wouldn't start. Used for off road adventure but I do ride it hard. I now check them every 3,000. just to be safe, (and not stranded). :muutt
    Night Falcon likes this.
  19. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dust/dirt getting past the filter is typically what causes valves to go out of spec “early”. Valves thin and set deeper into seat, pushing stem up and reducing clearance. FWIW
  20. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a side note: Back in the 60s and 70s the WV bug engine had an oil cooler that restricted the air flow to the #3 cylinder causing it to run hotter. This extra heat would allow the valve to stretch. When we would adjust the valves we would keep track of how much we had to loosen up the exhaust valve. After loosing it up over a period of time a total of .020 or more we figured it was time to do a valve job because if we didn’t the head of the valve would separate from the stem and make a mess of the engine
    PDL, WSobchak and Yukon Ho! like this.